Laptops Dell Studio XPS 1645 Recurring issue

Hey guys,

I have had this laptop for about 3 years now. For the first year everything was fine. Soon after, I started getting the throttling issue, the right speaker started breaking (Broken sound, not dead) and constant overheating.

Overheating is understandable in the weather we have and I have always kept my laptop clean. Dell said that the throttling issue was due the said overheating. Fine I can deal with that for a bit.

The speakers have had this issues multiple times and each time they replace the damn thing and it breaks again within a month or two. This has happened 3 or 4 times.

My warranty is about to expire in a months time. What should I do? Should I accept the speaker replacement and heatsink replacement one last time or a newer laptop(Will they do this with only one month warranty left)? I am worried the same thing is going to happen again before the end of year and I will be stuck with an unusable laptop.

Some of my friends some more extreme measures. I am pretty sure you know what they are talking about. But its so unethical that I am a little iffy about it.

Those with experience with dell please help me out.

PS: I have full accidental warranty that I paid 22k for 2 years. That is expiring next month. So I need a course of action within a weeks time.

Request for a replacement of the laptop stating that repairs have been done multiple times and still there is no resolution in sight. Overheating is also not acceptable if that happens on mild usage. You did not pay to live with a faulty laptop. Contact their customer care and use their social networking ids too to convey the message.

I called them. Was on the phone for an hour. Part replacements are coming in. I am going to throw everything I have at it and see how high the temperature goes. If it heats up like that again, I am going to call back and ask for a replacement.

Playing you-tube for 15-20 mins should make the temperature go into high 80's and low 90's

Last edited:
Alright, the heat-sink(Applied arcticsilver), fan, sub-woofer and palm-rest(sightly bent due to heating) has been replaced. Laptop running at high 80's with prime and idle temp is around high 40's to low 50's which is very very good considering a 30 degree drop. Doesnt seem to free or throttle anymore and the fan noise is non existent!

My current ram is 4GB Dual-channel 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM (2 x 2GB), I am not really good at this so I am going to ask you guys. I need one stick upgraded to 4GB and keep one of the 2GB ones. Can I find one online? If so, which one?

I do not want to hijack this thread of its original issue but i had opened a new thread here http://www.techenclave.com/community/threads/dell-laptop-overheating.154664/ and was not getting any response so since the OP has somewhat similar issue as mine, it would be great if someone gives me a viable solution.
I am out of warranty and facing severe throttling issues. Will the Dell company repair this overheating problem at an extra cost which i am ready to pay? If so, what is the procedure.

@OP, though i ant an expert relating to laptop rams but you can have a look here http://theitwares.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=1_62
Someone more experienced would be able to tell you which exact brand would be suitable for your laptop.

Last edited:
I do not want to hijack this thread of its original issue but i had opened a new thread here http://www.techenclave.com/community/threads/dell-laptop-overheating.154664/ and was not getting any response so since the OP has somewhat similar issue as mine, it would be great if someone gives me a viable solution.
I am out of warranty and facing severe throttling issues. Will the Dell company repair this overheating problem at an extra cost which i am ready to pay? If so, what is the procedure.

@OP, though i ant an expert relating to laptop rams but you can have a look here http://theitwares.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=1_62
Someone more experienced would be able to tell you which exact brand would be suitable for your laptop.

No problems mate.

About the overheating, I fixed it myself. Open the laptop, carefully remove the heatsink and the fan assembly. Dust it off with a soft paint brush or compressed air. Then clean the GPU and CPU. Reapply thermal paste properly. Voila, super cool laptop.

IF you dont want to do this yourself, then take it to a local repair guy. Stand with him to make sure he doesnt do something stupid and get it done by him. You have the 1647 right? If it has the same issues that 1645 has, then you need a 130 watt adapter and a bios version above A06. Preferably A09. A09 fixed throttling for 1645s.

PS: I think this warrants an update. My MB was replaced one month before the warranty expired. It went kaput 10 days after my warranty expired. Although I had to present my case strongly, dell replaced the MB under warranty even though it wasnt in warranty any more. Now it works flawlessly.

No problems mate.

About the overheating, I fixed it myself. Open the laptop, carefully remove the heatsink and the fan assembly. Dust it off with a soft paint brush or compressed air. Then clean the GPU and CPU. Reapply thermal paste properly. Voila, super cool laptop.

IF you dont want to do this yourself, then take it to a local repair guy. Stand with him to make sure he doesnt do something stupid and get it done by him. You have the 1647 right? If it has the same issues that 1645 has, then you need a 130 watt adapter and a bios version above A06. Preferably A09. A09 fixed throttling for 1645s.

PS: I think this warrants an update. My MB was replaced one month before the warranty expired. It went kaput 10 days after my warranty expired. Although I had to present my case strongly, dell replaced the MB under warranty even though it wasnt in warranty any more. Now it works flawlessly.

Thanks for the reply. My bad, my laptop is same as 1645. I dont know which adapter i currently have but its the default i got when purchased. Tried looking on the adapter but no mention of 90W/130W. Is it necessary to purchase a 130W adapter ? I do have a A09 bios update, most recent being A13.
I am not comfortable with opening laptop and stuff, do you have any idea of a good technician around Mumbai(assuming you are in Mumbai)? Which thermal paste according to you would be the best and where can it be purchased from?

PS: I, at times, do hear some clicking noise from my adapter during usage which, it seems, justifies to go for 130W.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. My bad, my laptop is same as 1645. I dont know which adapter i currently have but its the default i got when purchased. Tried looking on the adapter but no mention of 90W/130W. Is it necessary to purchase a 130W adapter ? I do have a A09 bios update, most recent being A13.
I am not comfortable with opening laptop and stuff, do you have any idea of a good technician around Mumbai(assuming you are in Mumbai)? Which thermal paste according to you would be the best and where can it be purchased from?

PS: I, at times, do hear some clicking noise from my adapter during usage which, it seems, justifies to go for 130W.

Look at your adapter. Whats the model number? Mine is FA130PE1-00 (Notice the 130 in there). Thats how u know what wattage it is.

Any computer repair guy can do it. No need for someone specific. Maybe members from Mumbai can help you there.

Its a 90W adapter, checked it from Bios.

First run CPUID to know when the temp spikes occur and at what temp it becomes unstable. If you find the number to be in the mid 80's, then get it to a local guy and get the dust blown out along with applying thermal paste. Once that is done, use it for a few days to see how it affects ur system.

Btw, call dell, even if it is out of warranty, they might provide you with an adapter. They acknowleged their mistake with the 90w adapter a long time ago. You can say that you dint know that was the problem and request them to change it for you. MIGHT work.

An update to my issues.
Got the thermal paste replaced with a new one and the temperatures dropped drastically by 27 degrees :eek:. Not to mention enormous amount of dust cake formed during 4 years of usage. Put it through simple stress test of playing a movie on VLC and using FF simultaneously. The temperatures remain stable at 60-63 degrees.[DOUBLEPOST=1387913239][/DOUBLEPOST]I am looking to purchase a new 130W adapter. Found this one on ebay. http://cgi.ebay.in/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=251377061043#ht_1383wt_1157
Will this particular model work? It does mention on the site its suited for XPS1645.

Last edited:
Back