Dell Venue Pro

Guys, I'm buying dell venue pro for a friend through shop abraod from here :

Dell Venue Pro Windows 7 Unlocked Smartphone | eBay

Which 'brand' do I chose ? Why do I have to chose a brand if I am buying an unlocked handset ( can it be used with Indian Sim cards ?) ?
and... is it a good phone (this one is from me - all he wants is a classy looking phone to text and surf) ?

Its coming to around 15.5k. Is it worth paying ~ 9k more to get warranty here (buying locally)?

Sorry for the horde of noob questions.

amritsingh87 said:
Guys, I'm buying dell venue pro for a friend through shop abraod from here :

Dell Venue Pro Windows 7 Unlocked Smartphone | eBay

Which 'brand' do I chose ? Why do I have to chose a brand if I am buying an unlocked handset ( can it be used with Indian Sim cards ?) ?
and... is it a good phone (this one is from me - all he wants is a classy looking phone to text and surf) ?

Its coming to around 15.5k. Is it worth paying ~ 9k more to get warranty here (buying locally)?

Sorry for the horde of noob questions.

Dell is selling unlocked phone so you can use it with Indian simcard.
Regarding brand, read the description -
1.Version One has the following:

•2G support: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz (GSM/GPRS/EDGE)
•3G support (WCDMA): 850/1900/2100
•This version supports quad-band 2G and 2100 3G, therefore it has largely global capability in either 2G or 3G. It also supports the 850/1900 MHZ bands required by AT&T in the US. This version would be recommended for consumers with AT&T service.

2.Version Two has the following:

•2G support: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz (GSM/GPRS/EDGE)
•3G support (WCDMA): 900/1700/2100 (1700 is also known as the AWS band)
•This version also supports quad-band 2G and 2100 3G, therefore it has largely global capability in either 2G or 3G. It also supports the 1700 MHZ bands required by T-Mobile in the US. This version would be recommended for consumers with T-Mobile service.

Build quality of phone is very good but keep in mind that it is HEAVY. about 193gms - thats HUGE by any standards! - This was the reason I didn't buy Venue Pro. I was using Nokia C7-00 before shifting to Samsung Focus. C7-00 is ~150gms and I though that was a bit heavy (when you hold the phone for longer periods you will understand the pain of each extra gram)
[just my 2 cents]

Not to mention heavier phones need to be treated with care. Drop one down and it falls with enough force to damage itself extensively.

Also, how do you plan to get it here?
Dell does NOT ship to PO Boxes, APO Addresses, Freight Forwarders, Hotels, or Puerto Rico/Virgin Islands/Guam.

I dont think he (my friend) minds the heavy part .. or has an idea of the implications of carrying around a brick..

Dell has rave reviews.. esp of build quality.. and I checked with dell store in noida today.. you CAN transfer the warranty here :D .. so rest is his headache

@RVK2488.. which one do I chose then ?

@RD273.. is it like n72 sorts.. heavy-durable kinds ? or is it fragile ? any opinions ? he needs it to last (1-2 yrs)

amritsingh87 said:
I dont think he (my friend) minds the heavy part .. or has an idea of the implications of carrying around a brick..

Dell has rave reviews.. esp of build quality.. and I checked with dell store in noida today.. you CAN transfer the warranty here :D .. so rest is his headache

@RVK2488.. which one do I chose then ?

@RD273.. is it like n72 sorts.. heavy-durable kinds ? or is it fragile ? any opinions ? he needs it to last (1-2 yrs)

I bought it for my dad and used it for a month before shipping it to him.

1) I bought the AT&T unlocked version. I think the 3G band used in India is 2100.

2) The phone seems durable/sturdy. The slight issue is that the slider seems more sensitive/easy to slide than other Sony Ericsson slider phones I have used.

@amrit

as whatsinaname said, I also think that 2100 is used in India (atleast BSNL uses 2100 IIRC). So it does not matter which 1 you buy. Normally the phones sold in India have 3G bands 900/1900/2100. So if you go by that, you cannot buy any one of those 2 :p

But do get it confirmed from someone before buying :)

Back