Laptops Dell Vostro 1520 Help!!!

Asky

Adept
Hey Guys,

I recently bought a Vostro 1520 in the US(Dell.com) for my Dad. After it was delivered I just tested it once to make sure everything was working. Now I am having problems getting it to boot.

Sometimes it will go past the Vista splash screen and get stuck at the "Welcome" screen. Sometimes it wont even get to the splash screen i.e. it takes a long time saying " booting from NTLDR etc etc" and then just displays a blank screen.

When I got the laptop initially I took an image of the entire HDD and stored it on my external drive. I wiped out the entire HDD and put Windows 7 Professional on it since I had an extra legal copy. Could this be the issue? The strange thing is that every time i wipe out the HDD and do a clean install it seems to work properly for say ~3-4 boots. If i shutdown the laptop and try it after 2-3 hrs it gives me the same problems again.

I am thinking its the HDD, but want to be sure before I go out and buy a new one. The HDD is a Seagate 7200.4 320GB Drive. Since it's SATA, should I try putting it in my Desktop and checking it's health ? What tool(s) should I be using.

Also, Can something else be wrong here ?

Please let me know,

the laptop should have dell one year international warranty and it should have next business day support from dell .

call them up and they would have your laptop fixed in under 24 hours.

Whats your antivirus? The only thing that comes to my mind is some some virus/ malware corrupting your windows regularly.

Do you have the drivers CD? It has a 32bit Diagnostic from Dell. Run it fully. If not download from dell support by putting your laptop serial no. & getting the appropriate model.

OK .. will do that. I do not have the driver's CD/DVD. Left it in US. Will download and run it.

Thanks!

Update :
I ran the system diagnostics test. Got an error when it tried testing the HDD.
"IRQ Request Not fulfilled"
Error Code - 0f00:1332

I'll have to wait until Monday to contact DELL Customer support (India). I hope Dell honors Global warranty.

Thanks axeman and the others for your help!

Just BUMPING this thread to inform you guys that I called up DELL and they replaced my HDD within a day.

@sunny27 Thnx for tipping me abt the Intl support.

What surprised me was how quick Dell fixed my laptop, kudos to Dell !!! :)

Asky said:
Just BUMPING this thread to inform you guys that I called up DELL and they replaced my HDD within a day.

@sunny27 Thnx for tipping me abt the Intl support.

What surprised me was how quick Dell fixed my laptop, kudos to Dell !!! :)

Did you buy Next day Business Warranty from Dell while buying laptop in US? Because I heard somewhere that only if you buy NBD from dell , they cover it under Intl warranty . I also purchased 1520 in July but did not buy any NBD....just want the info in case something bad happens to my peice.

Well I did not pay anything extra for it. I am not sure if all laptops come with NDB Warranty.

There was a deal @ deals2buy.com and maybe I was lucky and this was part of the deal.

I think if you go to the Dell Support website and enter your service tag number, it should tell you what kind of warranty you have.

Yes, Then I guess you don't have the NBD warranty. I just saw the deals page again and guess I got lucky. Mine did have NBD as part of the deal. I never paid attention to the warranty part, just saw the deal, liked it and bought it.

Try asking Dell for a warranty Upgrade or something.

Even i am planning to buy vostro 1510 from US. Can you suggest me to buy it or not.
I wld be going for a refurbished one As it wld be arnd 70$ cheaper + warranty wld be there as in new laptop.

Back