Laptops Dell XPS 15

flipsyde

Disciple
Hi everyone.... The new Dell XPS 15 now seems to be available in India. The pricing too seems to be comparable to the US pricing. The one I configured (i7+6GB+435M+640GB+1080p) is working out to be 5k more than a similar config in the US.

I currently own a Studio XPS 16 which is just about a month and a half old. I was wondering if the new one with the nVidia 435M graphic card was good enough for me to trade in my laptop for the new one. The only issues I have with my current laptop is heat and poor battery life. Will the new one address these issues?

I must say the new one looks quite ordinary in the pictures at least compared to the Studio XPS 16.

The new xps 15 series has an Awesome config at an unbeatable price.. I agree..Its just a few more grands costlier than the studio 15 for the same\better config..

Had it not been for the pathetic and cheap inspiron looks, i would have traded in my 1 month old studio 15 for the new xps laptop..

IMHO, the studio and the previous xps 16 model look way better and classy than the new model...

First I was thinking of going for a macbook pro, as all others like hp, sony, acer, lenovo lack somewhere or the other, irrespective of the configs they offer.

I liked dell and their service, but the studio 15 was kinda old.

Now this xps 15 has diverted my mind. XPS 15 or macbook pro ??

if looks dont matter, go for xps 15..other than the looks, the 15incher has got everything to satisfy your needs..Go with 3 year CC..and yea, subtract students discount of 8% by getting an id card of someone studying in IIT..:p..

Okay not planning to digress/hijack this thread, but i was planning to get a lappy to work with 3ds max software.

specs are here Autodesk - Autodesk 3ds Max Products - System Requirements

Now it wd be able to do the req crunching even with a VGA card as told by the instructor, so is considering an XPS 15/16 a real tall order? (i mean would def like the laptop to be doing the HD movies and stuff, but clueless with machine for 3ds atm so dont know how much overboard i am going )

havent really seen anybody reply to my query for suggesting a laptop for the mentioned s/w.

^^yes, you are going overboard..if u go with a 32 bit os, Even an inspiron costing anywhere between 34-37k would fulfill your requirements//..

Consider this laptop for gaming(casual), making movies, doing 3d stuff, prof pic editing and stuff..

But yes, if you have the money, choose this over inspiron..ANYDAY..

I am about to buy this laptop XPS 15 with

i5 460M

4GB

640GB

backlit keyboard

15 months Mcafee

I will place order this week

Dell People say 7 days is maximum time taken to deliver

Lets see

This laptop is surely no looker but lets hope the throttling and overheating issues are gone. Even the i5+420M combo packs quite a punch.

Heating is main concern for all xps in past so no idea how this gona do. but one thing dell did best is launched in winters which might save them lol and by the time summers start laptop will be 6 months old lol

Any idea why it does not allow you to configure an i3 or i5 with a 435M(2GB) or an i7 with a 420M(1GB)

Is there some technical reason behind it, or is it just to increase prices?

^^^incompatibilty...(as dell says it)..

@spacescreamer - By this i meant xps in the particular context...

but the point holds that inspiron would suffice your needs..buy this if you have more money and need a futureproof laptop...

i believe i7 proccys dont have an internal GPU ( which is present in the i3 and i5) and consequently cannot support optimus which is there in the 420M option.

Hi guys
I have placed the order just today
They told me that i will receive the laptop before 14th at any cost(I told them it was my bday)
They are sending it to me by Express Delivery for FREE
The specs are:
i5 460M(took it just for more battery life i.e. OPTIMUS)
4GB RAM
640GB HDD(Needed more space)
15.6: HD screen(1366x768 - i felt its enough)
1GB 420M.. (Enough for my movies and casual gaming as i already have a 360 and a good PC)
Backlit keyboard(For typing at night or in low light areas)
Win 7 professional 64BIT(Added it for the XP Mode feature)
Mcafee 15Months (just 900 guys)

Totally costed me 57K including all taxes
I will be keeping it in Show Off zone soon ;)

Back