Laptops Dell XPS M1210

devansh5

Recruit
Hey i am looking to buy the dell xps m1210 from dell india.Came to a decision after considering the sony c series and the hp dv6000 series.
The price offered to me is Rs.64000 all inclusive for
1vista premium
2. Core 2 Duo
3. 1 gb o ram
4. 7400 go video card
5.80 gb 7200 rpm harddisk and all the other standard stuff

Is it a good buy.Also does anyone here know any dell emplyees who can get a furthur discount on the purchase from dell india.Any help would be appreciated

^ Yea that a great price, just bargain with them on the phone and tell them to cut off taxes and shipping, they'll probably do it if you speak convincingly enough :p

the nett price of 64k is good. for 1.2k more u wud get a 120GB HDD i think (as per http://dellstoreroa03.sg.dell.com/public/cart/configurator.jsp?prd_id=40399&sr_no=2

I saw the laptop at Chaos' place and was mighty impressed with the fit/finish/size/weight n perf it packs! surely a good buy!

devansh5 said:
64 is after negotiating with them ,the actual cost was 69000,so he gave me waiver on the tax and vat and offering for 64k

no way!!! if u think he's giving u a discount, u r being taken on a ride. the same laptop is listed on the dell website (check link), at Rs.62,738/- plus taxes. If VAT is 4%, then it comes to ~Rs.65,247/-. for the additional 1.2k (as per website) u r getting a 120GB HDD there.

so, since u r getting a 80GB HDD for 64k nett, the price is same as teh website and any "SPECIAL DISCOUNT" they are offering is NOT exclusively for u, though i am pretty sure they made it sound very much like they are giving the discount only for ya :p

a friend of mine got a call from Dell which offered the same laptop with slightly better config for 70.5k plus taxes after giving a 16k discount!!!! my friend was initially impressed with the "16k special discount for a returning customer" until it was pointed out to him that 70.5k is what it retails at on the website too. so no fancy discounts there :p

EDIT:

forget the above rant.. :p

Check the following 2 posts as to why its a good deal!! :hap2:

Hey Masky, the Go7400 and the 7200rpm disk are not a part of the default config, so the sales rep has indeed given a decent :hap2:

ya exactly the 7400 go is an additional 3500 bucks or so.Though i ahve heard its better to go for 120gb 5400 rpm coz lotta ppl reported that 7200 rpm sucks a lotta battery with minimal performance iffernce

^^Tested both... huge performance difference. 30MB/s vs 45MB/s transfer rates and 20ms vs 14ms latencies. The one with the 5400 rpm drive felt like err a laptop while the one with the 7200rpm drive was as responsive and fast as a desktop. Battery life is okay... with the stock 6 cell battery its arnd 2hrs 45mins. With the 9 cell battery (50gms more weight) the life extends to 4hrs 30mins.

and chaos how is the overall experience with th elaptop.This will be my first laptop so i ahve tried and researcghhed a lot.And its the warranty and complete cover which has convinced me for dell

devansh5 said:
and chaos how is the overall experience with th elaptop.This will be my first laptop so i ahve tried and researcghhed a lot.And its the warranty and complete cover which has convinced me for dell

Its excellent overall... the only issues...

1) Screen not as good as some other 12 inchers. But then again those cost double of this

2) The bottom gives me a mild static shock at times :rofl:

3) Too much of crap comes preloaded. I just clean formatted it :p.

4) Really thick (read fat :p) for a 12" notebook.

The screen (AUO) is one of the best that I have seen in a laptop. A tad too glossy at first though :)
The only main drawback I see is that it feels heavy for a 12" notebook.

1) Screen not as good as some other 12 inchers. But then again those cost double of this

Bro, you made the mistake of choosing the non-AV package screen which is a Toshiba screen :p

The Auo on the AV package systems is one of the nicest I have seen....

very Crisp with sweet viewing angles...

:p

and though it's heavier than the Sony SZ, the primary reason I chose it it's alot more sturdier than the flimsy feeling SZ

Off topic, if anyone has bought dell before, you will be knowing this joke. But for those who dont, when you buy dell laptop, you need sign few papers which officially claims that dell is selling u the laptop.....once of the condition in the paper is.....

Not to use Dell products for research on nueclear weapons or else they will take the product back. I went all ROFL. I will scan it, if no one belives me.

i found the sony vaio 11.1" screen better than M1210s ...... actually i used M1210 for 1-2 hours and screen was little annoying i don't know y :-/ ...... but still the price u pay for M1210 is unbeatable value for mony ......

superczar said:
Bro, you made the mistake of choosing the non-AV package screen which is a Toshiba screen :p

The Auo on the AV package systems is one of the nicest I have seen....

very Crisp with sweet viewing angles...

:p

and though it's heavier than the Sony SZ, the primary reason I chose it it's alot more sturdier than the flimsy feeling SZ

Its the samsung screen not toshiba... which is very similar to the AUO screen that I've seen too... only viewing angles are a bit narrower. The screens on the high end toshibas/vaios/mbps and even dell's own m1710 are way way better. The truth though is than none of the laptop screens come remotely close to any good quality desktop panel. So it doesn't really matter

yaa i mean the price point is just too good.Sure u get better laptops but then u need to pay a high premium too for ex. vaio sz etc.Vista preloaded is another plus point for me,dont know if a lotta ppl will agree with me here but i have started liking vista ,been using it since a week now.

Back