Demonetisation and its Aftermath

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem is that even banks don't seem to have enough cash at hand to withdraw using cheque. Even of the exchange, either you get couple of Rs 2000 notes (if you are among the lucky few) which are worthless for the time being or you would be sent back empty handed. In either case, you do not have usable money. There was 150~200 people queue's at the banks near my office even before it was 10 AM. The cash got finished pretty soon. Same situation with ATM's. Tried to withdraw money both in morning 8.45 AM and in evening and both times from multiple ATM's and all of them were empty. In between, the SBI ATM was apparently filled with cash, but got finished pretty quickly. Other bank ATM's near my place are still closed. In addition private ATM's inside office buildings are not being filled at all. So far, it doesn't look like I can get my hands on any usable cash any time soon.

45% of the people in the country don't have bank accounts or Id cards. Majority of them, daily wage laborers and people doing odd jobs to make a living. A lot of them who got paid in Rs 500 notes in wages are now stuck with worthless pieces of paper with no means of using it or exchanging it. They are left without any way to buy food or other provisions.[DOUBLEPOST=1478882430][/DOUBLEPOST]http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...to-junk-banned-notes/articleshow/55374158.cms

Last edited:
So yesterday early morning, the first thing I did was rush to the bank. At 8:30 AM, I was first in line and was able to get 10k in 100rupee notes. Also, mom had a hidden stash of 50 and 10 rupee bundles. Of the 10k, 5k will be going to my brother who is travelling to Bangalore and doesn't own a debit or credit card. Have handed him one of my cards for use and advised him to use the card as much as possible and hold on to the cash for emergencies.
The major problem I am seeing is that people are trying to hold on to the cash, just like I advised my brother.
Till now, haven't had to use any cash as I opted to go to shops which accepted payment by card. Disposed off a few of the older notes at a petrol bunk. But life has been tough for a lot of people. Small businessman are not ready to change their habits. They are ready to give products on credit, but not ready to accept cheques. Then there are so many people in my small town/village who don't have either ATM card or cheque book. The cash influx is very poor. Banks are getting very few notes to disburse and majority of their workload is receiving older notes for deposit. I had a lot of construction work going on and that has come to a screeching halt, as despite me paying with white money, the builder is bound to be dealing in black money and so have the people involved in construction supplies. As pointed above, not only are those people not ready to change their habits, right now they are in damage control mode and hence least interested in fulfilling their professional obligations. I am even a little worried that they might face huge losses ( as most of construction business runs on black money) and I might up losing my money in the process, despite having paid all money in white.

Truthfully, I am seeing regular life coming to a halt and I am not liking it one bit. The intentions might have been good and it might have some effects, but the execution is really poor and having a lot adverse effects on honest people who don't deserve to be treated that way.

have been reading this thread for a while now and just wanted to chime in my opinion as well...also anyone reading this thread might think that most people on this forum are against this....but i am definitely not one of them and i want to highlight that

I am totally in favor of this...for years i have seen people boasting about not paying taxes when so-called poor normal aam salaried people bear the grunt of it..i am one of those humble ones...obviously i am facing issues as some of you are but i dont mind one bit...the way i see it ...this is going to save me 30% of my money over time...let me explain...till now i had to earn 150 rs to have the same purchasing power as some1 who was earning 100rs and cheating on taxes....

Now if this rule helps me recover even 5% more parity quite soon if not the ideal 30% which i suspect would happen in 2-4 years...why wont i be willing to bear the small problems...i would probably be willing to give 1 month of my salary in a year to make this happen...

i am not sure if there is an alternate way which is better....all the posts in this thread seem to point out the problems and the horrendous situations being caused:
- Does anybody know a better solution to eradicate black money?
- How about 100s or 1000s or maybe lakhs of lives that have been lost because people havent paid taxes for past 6-7-8 decades? if the govt had that money or even if that money was available to be legally earned in the economy for some1 instead of being stashed away...wouldnt that have saved at least some of the lives?
- There is always an opportunity cost to everything. Every day governments delay and take no action just accepting the black money as a given...they ARE sacrificing someone's life/hard earned money/opportunity for some1 to rise from poverty

1. Petrol pumps are supposed to take ₹500-1000 notes. If somebody refused, he/she needs to be punished. Its not PMs fault.
2. I pity those people who still don't have bank accounts. The govt has given enough chance to people to go open bank accounts. These people were begging for this shock.
3. Having said that, the situation could have been better handled, especially, private hospitals, chemists, transportation & other essential supplies. It seems proper impact analysis was not done.

Just need an confirmation from CA / Banker or Some experts..

I am getting mixed opinions from people... some say you can deposit 2.4L in savings account in 1 shot... whereas some say try to deposit in installments.. like 45k per installment..

Can anyone throw light on this?

I am getting mixed opinions from people... some say you can deposit 2.4L in savings account in 1 shot... whereas some say try to deposit in installments.. like 45k per installment..

I guess banks report all transactions which have a value of 10k and above.
This I heard in a TV interview of an SBI GM. This can only be verified by someone who currently works in the banking industry.

In order to deposit over 50k in one go, your account needs to be KYC compliant. Otherwise, you would not be allowed to deposit over 50k at a time. Also, regardless of whether you make single deposit or make multiple deposits in same account or into different accounts, All deposits of Rs 500/1000 till Dec 30th will be tracked by banks against PAN number. If the total amount exceeds 2.5 Lac, it would be notified to IT dept for scrutinizing against tax returns

You can deposit any amount into your accounts as long as they are tagged to your PAN. For any deposit above 2.5L, it will be compared with your income and a tax amount with 200% penalty (i.e. 300% of tax payable) would be levied in case of mismatch.

I am also in favour of this move, but thing is 500 and 1000 rupee notes should only be replaced, why introduce 2000 rupee notes it will only lead to a vicious cycle.

Then what's the point of introducing 2000 Rs. note? On one hand, economists say currency with higher denomination helps corrupts, our own govt. claims it is encouraging cashless economy, and on another we have got 2000 Rs. note which contradicts both points.

The currency demonetization was proposed twice in MMS tenure, since MMS was a acting PM for 10yr & high command culture was prevailing, it wasn't carried out. Even demonetization of pre 2005 currency wasn't done during his tenure. He had pretty small say in the Remote controlled environment. How did this was allowed to happen? Because of equally corrupt, direction less, ineffective, ununited opposition led by LK & Co.

I sincerely believe this couldn't have been done by any Congress PM (they perpetuated these evils to their advantage), it could have been done only by a Non Congress PM. And Modi has done it. Even if Kejri or Mamta became a PM it'd have been done.

Demonetization wasn't carried out, yes, but in 2014, notes printed before 2005 were systematically withdrawn. Keyword, systematically. Not this 'shock-and-awe' method.

Sources:
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...s-issued-before-2005/articleshow/29316874.cms
http://www.thehindu.com/opinion/editorial/new-notes-for-old/article5610257.ece
http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/rbi-governor-allays-currency-note-fears/article5610577.ece
http://www.hindustantimes.com/busin...om-march-31/story-cj6h9MzjmihFeZsRyhoXjL.html

Combating fake currency and flushing of black money is mentioned in above links. But of course Congress is corrupt to the core, unlike BJP, and can't do anything right.

Anyway, the new notes are fugly as f. Last time I was this appalled at a change when Google changed their logo to the current one.

It was not so secret after all !

http://www.thehindubusinessline.com...-your-wallet-rs-2000-notes/article9253104.ece

http://mnaidunia.jagran.com/busines...dia-to-issue-rs-2000-notes-soon-report-841704

The first article published in the businessline on 21/10/16 and the second one in Naiduniya 26-10-2016 clearly states Rs 2000 notes to be introduced soon and the second link mentions possible discontinuation of 500/1000 Rs notes.

Somebody mentioned earlier in the thread that the move was already known to many political parties and if
its indeed true then many big fishes might have already converted their stash while the common man slugs
it out in long queues.

Last edited:
People will horde again, that is the Indian mentality. Kirana owners are big crooks, all ready making profits. When will India learn..?

Mod warning:
Please stop using ciphered swear words. Advise is to go and clean up your threads here, else warnings will be given. Thanks.

How about cash deposit machines at the ATM hubs? Can these be used to deposit instead of waiting at the bank?
In SBI, you have to take your SBI debit/ATM card with you.
Swipe it in the cash deposit machine(CDM), enter your PIN. After that you can deposit your money into the account linked with that ATM card. (I have not tried it yet. A friend deposited in this manner)

Previously you could deposit in CDM's by manually entering account number and phone number. This has been disabled for now.

Is there any bank other than SBI which have CDM's?

Then what's the point of introducing 2000 Rs. note? On one hand, economists say currency with higher denomination helps corrupts, our own govt. claims it is encouraging cashless economy, and on another we have got 2000 Rs. note which contradicts both points.

High denomination notes are always issued to aid black money hoarding and corruption. Any govt which allows a currency note > Rs 500 to be released is essentially doing it for the sake of black money hoarding. If somebody want's to say that the govt does it for the sake of legitimate govt institutions, that is also absurd. There are several instruments available for govt's to deal with large amounts of reserve money. Some countries even have special currency denominations that are not usable by public. There is no reason for a Rs 2000 note expect to aid hoarding.

$100 is the highest denomination of currency you would find in USA and in fact, in most places, you would get cops called on you if you try to change a $100 note. That's how suspicious people treat them. Pak on the other hand has Rs 5000 note as well.

And of course its absurd to believe that BJP is any less corrupt than congress. No amount of naivety is enough to make one believe that and anybody who thinks BJP is different than congress in corruption is ether way too far gone into mental bankruptcy or must be smoking something very nasty.

If BJP were even half serious about curbing black money or fake currencies, they would have just replaced existing Rs 100 and Rs 500 notes with new versions and most importantly also put a complete stop all the higher denomination notes altogether.

It is more than likely that the whole thing was targeted at neutralizing the black money reserves of their political opponents while safe guarding their own and its not the first time demonetization was attempted just for that sake.

Still, regardless of the actual intentions, we cannot deny that indirectly it did help make the black money stashes of the common people become worthless even if it didn't impact politicians, but as I always say, majority of the black money is in the hands of the people, not in Swiss bank accounts of politicians. but the problem is that it came at a very heavy cost for the people who have nothing to do with it.

My cab driver was telling me yesterday night that two farmers in his village attempted suicide because of this fiasco as they were left with no access to usable money for some urgent commitments. One died and another was saved. One of his brothers friends is also apparently in a bad mental state to the point of contemplating suicide and they are keeping him under watch. These are not people with stashed black money, but poor people in villages who were severely affected due to the sudden ban and inability to exchange for usable money. Who knows how many such causalities have happened already, but not caught the attention of media or deliberately suppressed? One 74 year old man collapsed and died after waiting for hours in a queue at a bank. Another got pushed and fell from the second floor while also in midst of a rush at another bank.

I stood in line at an HDFC ATM opp my building @ 6 AM in the morning today to get some cash without any luck. I saw that it was being filled and by the time I went downstairs, there was a long queue already forming. The ATM got empty in 30 min after serving just 25~30 people. That shows how little money is coming into the ATM's.

I am pretty sure that people dying due to lack of immediate care or being struck at private hospitals without treatment ,medicines and food and in pain is just minor inconvenience for you when its not hapenning to you or your own family members., But the question to ask is whether this severe and potentially life threatening situation was even a necessity for curbing black money in the first place

I myself could not buy medicines in last two days and I am mostly stuck to eating only once per day due to lack of money and the online delivery services staying too busy to deliver. I am getting a few things from big basket by tomorrow through online purchase, but imagine the plight of people with who are struck without credit and debit cards and internet banking access.

Nobody is denying that removing the bigger denominations is a great move. The only reason big denominations of currency are introduced by govt's is mostly just for the convenience of black money hoarders most of whom are people who are part of the govt's or close to them. You can simply assume that introduction of any currency > Rs 500 by any govt is only to aid black money hoarding. Such higher denomination currencies can be found only in countries with rampart corruption.

leaving aside the fact that the govt is again introducing even higher denomination notes now, the way the ban has been handled is not acceptable at all. Apparently, it was planned quite a while back that these currency notes would be phased out and it was just a matter of when. So why was it done in such an unprepared manner? They could have easily started moving the Rs 100 and 50 notes and even the newer currencies into the banks before they even announced the ban publicly. There are long queues in Banks and ATM's and most people are unable to get any currency as its running out. Some of the banks are handing out 2000 Rs notes which currently are as worthless as the older notes due to not enough smaller change being in circulation.

Also from what I heard from a colleague who is connected to BJP political circles, this info was leaked to the big wig politicians and those close to BJP and and even to other parties and even tough they didn't have an exact date when its going to happen, most of them already got rid of their hoarded Indian currencies or at least to the extent they could. So they are not as hugely affected as people think. In any case, the largest scale hoarders will have their investments in foreign currency or properties outside the country.

Non political hoarders like most doctors, lawyers, Chartered accountants, businessmen etc did have a major shock and that is definitely a great thing, but its not acceptable for it to come at the expense of inconvenience to public at large.

I personally hate dealing in cash and only keep small amounts of money in cash for emergencies. Even for my flat registration, I paid online though it meant paying Rs 4000 extra as transaction charges. But now, I am struck without cash for anything including paying the wages to the maid. Imagine what her situation is like. Even If I would like to help them, I have no means of helping currently.

I am really concerned about your situation, we belong to the same City, is there anyway I can help ? I have instructed my front office not to send the people without correct denominations away, Luckily this has brought all fiends and relatives together everyone is more than willing to their part to help the Other (BLAME ME I ALWAYS SEE THE SILVER LINING).
Luckily my hospital accepted the 500Rs notes for wifes' surgery or I had to write a cheque. I did find it inconvenient to buy food from restaurant as I need to stand in Q for ATMs, We cooked at home instead.

Great way for banks to improve their balance sheets considering the huge amount of NPAs. Now they're going to lend this money again to industrialists.

This is what I was thinking too, Banks will have better books this year, for working hard for these 2 months. But, they have cancelled Sunday holidays, so lets applaud them for the time being.

So yesterday early morning, the first thing I did was rush to the bank. At 8:30 AM, I was first in line and was able to get 10k in 100rupee notes. Also, mom had a hidden stash of 50 and 10 rupee bundles. Of the 10k, 5k will be going to my brother who is travelling to Bangalore and doesn't own a debit or credit card. Have handed him one of my cards for use and advised him to use the card as much as possible and hold on to the cash for emergencies.
The major problem I am seeing is that people are trying to hold on to the cash, just like I advised my brother.
Till now, haven't had to use any cash as I opted to go to shops which accepted payment by card. Disposed off a few of the older notes at a petrol bunk. But life has been tough for a lot of people. Small businessman are not ready to change their habits. They are ready to give products on credit, but not ready to accept cheques. Then there are so many people in my small town/village who don't have either ATM card or cheque book. The cash influx is very poor. Banks are getting very few notes to disburse and majority of their workload is receiving older notes for deposit. I had a lot of construction work going on and that has come to a screeching halt, as despite me paying with white money, the builder is bound to be dealing in black money and so have the people involved in construction supplies. As pointed above, not only are those people not ready to change their habits, right now they are in damage control mode and hence least interested in fulfilling their professional obligations. I am even a little worried that they might face huge losses ( as most of construction business runs on black money) and I might up losing my money in the process, despite having paid all money in white.

Truthfully, I am seeing regular life coming to a halt and I am not liking it one bit. The intentions might have been good and it might have some effects, but the execution is really poor and having a lot adverse effects on honest people who don't deserve to be treated that way.

Though we may not be the hoarders of Black money, but our Ignorance in aiding the accumulation of Black money is enormous.
We never realized how much we are contributing to Black money economy by our day to day deals, had we been strict enough to ask bills everytime, this day need not have come. We cannot wash off our responsibility in knowingly or unknowingly aiding Black money economy. We will be paying the price for 2 months now.

The 100 people who will help a hoarder to convert his stash of 2cr are equally culprit as hoarder himself. We never realize our contribution to this ongoing crime.(' Sab Chalta Hai' attitude has hit aroad block 'Sivaaye 500 aur 1000 ke alawa).

have been reading this thread for a while now and just wanted to chime in my opinion as well...also anyone reading this thread might think that most people on this forum are against this....but i am definitely not one of them and i want to highlight that

I am totally in favor of this...for years i have seen people boasting about not paying taxes when so-called poor normal aam salaried people bear the grunt of it..i am one of those humble ones...obviously i am facing issues as some of you are but i dont mind one bit...the way i see it ...this is going to save me 30% of my money over time...let me explain...till now i had to earn 150 rs to have the same purchasing power as some1 who was earning 100rs and cheating on taxes....

Now if this rule helps me recover even 5% more parity quite soon if not the ideal 30% which i suspect would happen in 2-4 years...why wont i be willing to bear the small problems...i would probably be willing to give 1 month of my salary in a year to make this happen...

i am not sure if there is an alternate way which is better....all the posts in this thread seem to point out the problems and the horrendous situations being caused:
- How about 100s or 1000s or maybe lakhs of lives that have been lost because people havent paid taxes for past 6-7-8 decades? if the govt had that money or even if that money was available to be legally earned in the economy for some1 instead of being stashed away...wouldnt that have saved at least some of the lives?
- There is always an opportunity cost to everything. Every day governments delay and take no action just accepting the black money as a given...they ARE sacrificing someone's life/hard earned money/opportunity for some1 to rise from poverty

Very correct.
The problem is the all alternate and less harsh suggestions to curb black money are either ineffective or can be easily circumvented by good old Indian JUGAAD ! Even this move will be met with the resistance of Good old Indian Jugaad ! Let's see.

In order to deposit over 50k in one go, your account needs to be KYC compliant. Otherwise, you would not be allowed to deposit over 50k at a time. Also, regardless of whether you make single deposit or make multiple deposits in same account or into different accounts, All deposits of Rs 500/1000 till Dec 30th will be tracked by banks against PAN number. If the total amount exceeds 2.5 Lac, it would be notified to IT dept for scrutinizing against tax returns

Yeah Govt has made it very strict this time, though they're telling that deposits below 2.5L need not worry, but they will be scrutinized too. Because they can aid a person convert a unaccounted money.
No cash deposit of unaccounted currency is safe period.
Many of friends called on pretext of what to do with the money , Most of the CAs advice seems to be unanimous - BURN IT ! why would you want to go to prison for mere say < 2cr !

People will horde again, that is the Indian mentality. Kirana owners are big crooks, all ready making profits. When will India learn..?

Mod warning:
Please stop using ciphered swear words. Advise is to go and clean up your threads here, else warnings will be given. Thanks.

Yes very true, If you leave the Hobbesian qualities (putting oneself above the interests of everything else) , Hoarding mentality is the another Worst quality we Indians have. Nothing is ever Enough for us.

The chance of hoarding newer 2000Rs currency is a definite probability but it won't be as rampant as it is now, at least for the time being.
I firmly believe that this move is more effective than mere Changing the Gandhiji's DP from 1000Rs to 2000Rs Notes !
As with Odd& Even formula it has brought the Black Money to the discussion table of every Indian. The amount of awareness created is the biggest plus of this campaign, which will go a long way in building the nation.

Suddenly Kejrival, RG aren't bothered about missing JNU student, UP Uncle -Nephew aren't fighting anymore, Delhi Pollution isn't bothering anyone, One soldier martyred no discussions from Bhakts, PM signed a historic Nuclear deal with Japan ; no widespread social media forwards by Bhakts on them - Everyone busy with counting money.
"BAAP BADA NA BHAIYYA , SABSE BADA RUPAIYYA "

Can anyone confirm if SBI is taking deposits into accounts not belonging to that particular branch. While I don't have any cash of my own to deposit, my mom always keeps some in reserve. She also took some currency when she went to be with my sister in US. Similarly, my sister also has some spare cash left with her there. They are both coming to India next Friday and I asked them to bring all the banned currency so that it can be deposited. The problem is that my mother has only SBI and Andhra Bank accounts from branches that are not in Hyderabad. So, either we have to deposit the cash in an SBI branch locally if they accept it or I have to deposit it to my own account.

^ SBI should accept - you may have to meet the branch manager & submit id proof , kyc form ..
can't say about Andhra Bank !

http://www.firstpost.com/politics/r...-govt-ensures-adequate-cash-flow-3101256.html

May indeed lead to large scale riots and looting if the cash flow is not restored by Monday. Already, lots of angry people at banks. Police may even have to resort to lathi charge if things go out of hand.

Years back (In 2003), I have seen police having to resort to lathi charge on angry people who waited in lines for more than 6 hours to buy BSNL sim cards. I was myself part of one of the queues for over 5 hours and left 20 min before the lathi charge. My friends were not so lucky and got hit. This is an even more fundamental issue and lots of angry and frustrated people. This is exactly why I am presently avoiding joining the queues at banks. At least in ATM's, people have no body to vent their anger against.

http://www.indiatimes.com/news/indi...class-they-have-much-to-say-watch-265304.html

Exercise caution when watching the clips of reactions from frustrated poor and middle class people cussing at the Govt and Modi. NSFW language. Use headphones.

One more suicide.

http://www.indiatimes.com/news/indi...n-telangana-woman-commits-suicide-265279.html

Last edited:

Yup - remove all notes above 100 rupees. Why keep 500 or 1000 or 2000? The way I see it, the govt only introduced a new higher denomination note into circulation on top of the existing 500 and 1000 rupee notes. You will argue that 500 and 1000 were pulled out, but you don't see that they introduced a new 500 note and will introduce a new 1000 rupee note in coming months. This is not called pulling out, its called replacing. Because of this 2000 rupee note, the Indian rupee will probably devalue and fall to 70-75 levels to a dollar. Its anybody's guess as to how long before the corrupt sell out the design to the new notes to Pakistan and we see fakes of these in the markets. Introducing these new notes probably made it easier for the corrupt people with connections to stash away more currency in less bundles. All the removing out black money looks like a drama to me.

Another plus point of removing all higher denominations greater than 100 is it will make it that much difficult for hoarders of cash to get to a certain amount. Example- You could hoard 1000 rupees in 2x500 or 1x1000 rupee notes. With these out of circulation, and with only 100 rupees notes present it would take 10 notes to stash away a 1000 rupees. For higher amounts the bundles would be too much to keep on a person or in cupboards or under beds etc.

2 & 3 points you make are only for ideal conditions. No govt can take in 100% taxes. Not even the western countries can do this even with their advanced forms of tracking money. There are always politicians and rules they make that allow the rich to bypass for their own convenience. Its the poor and middle class that always take the brunt. There will never be any parity in laws.

Edit: RBI spokesperson - This is not demonetisation of currency, but the withdrawal of and replacement of old R500 and R1,000 notes from the market.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back