Audio Denon AH-D2000 vs AH-D5000 + worklog for Project Lawton Audio D5K mods.

Your making me wanna mod my D5000 bro!!
But i'll probably wait for you to complete yours and read your reviews. Good thing I know your taste in music and sound preference matches mine. Glad we're on the same boat.
Also let me know the cost of the mod and i'll make time to get stuff shipped from Amazon to SG to do the MarkL mod!!

Those are seriously very impressive pics. Maybe you should consider re-casting yourself as a Photographer rather than Audiophile :p

And I have to join the chorus: it's a great impressions thread that you've kicked off :clap:

@Faheem - Great impressions dude. :D

Agree with most of them baring a few exceptions.

IMO the D5000/2000 bass is not very tight and thats exactly why Lawton audio is doing business selling MarkL mods to tighten the bass. :)

Agree completely with the points of the D5000 mids been nice, and the treble being very well extended, crisp, clear and with little to no sibilance. The Soundstage was also very well done.

@Mukulym - I really haven't had too much time with the D2000 to form any sort of proper opinion on them.

The D5000 I did hear for a fairly long time and while they did have very nice mids they were a bit recessed due to the heavy bass (but not sucked out or terrible in any way). I must quickly add that while the mids were a tad recessed they were very nicely detailed, clear and warm - All trademarks of any nice midrange. All in all I did like the D5000 but I prefer the mids of the HD650s (properly amped) over the D5000s. The D5000s are incredibly detailed and IMO beat the HD650 in detail retrieval.

However the HD650 need significant amping to sound good.

Also the pics were taken with a Nikon D90 with a 50mm f1.8 lens. :)

Brendon . I will drop down at your place sometime soon with my LA-D5000 . Yeah you are right about the bass not being very tight on D2K/ D5K but it isnt too flabby or muddy as well . Also D2Ks bass was much tighter than D5Ks.

Anyways you can post your own impressions once you try them :)

Yeah I am waiting to see how your modded D5000 sounds. I seriously liked the detailing and treble performance and only the bass was what I felt needed tightening. So if the bass is tight and the midrange is allowed to shine then these could be killer cans. :D

@Benny i can give u links of all parts use vpost of Singpost and get them from USA.

Err wait if i dont mod my D2000 i will give u the parts .

^ Make sure you the re-cable first cause thats one of the mods which has made a good difference on my D5000 as well. I am sure D2000 will turn into a different beast altogether with the Mogami .

I re-cabled the LA-D5000s with the Mogami cable and Neutrik plug today morning .Took about 4-5 hours to do it completely . The results are sweeeet ! The vocals have never sounded so bliss .Even the slightest of harshness in treble has gone away . Its smoooooth ,butter smoooth all across the range. I am in love with it .

Thanks a ton dude for helping me source all the stuff.

Will post all the snaps and details of mods / work log soon.

Got the Mogami cables + all the sleeves etc from US via Metalspree's brother. I have some extra left with me (~ 2.5 mtrs ) which I might put up on TE soon :)

^ He's not included the cost of cables + connector in it . Which if I am not wrong was ~1.5k-ish.

*UPDATE*

I am done with my Lawton Audio mods + re cabling . Will put up the pictures + impressions in a while. :)

Back