Dependence of Course Credit on the Duration of course ? M.S in U.S/Can

Hi TE'ians,

Can anyone please clarify me the funda of a Course Credit. I have almost made up my mind for pursuing M.S/M.Engg in U.S or Canada but the only thing that i m not able to understand is what can be the exact duration of my course ? In simple terms, CC is a unit of each course that u've completed .. from what i've deduced, u can complete M.Engg in 1yr .. 1.5 yr .. or at max 2 yrs. , but what would be the variation in no. of subjects i have to study in each term for completion in 1 yr ? In India, we are accustomed to studying even 7 subs/sem , so what i mean is that over there, would like even 4-5 subs/sem be tiresome or manageable ?

These are the demands of the uni m targeting for the completion of course :

ByEHt.png

Is 1 subject = 3 CC ? If that's the case, it means i'll have to study 24/3= 8 Subs over a period of 1 yr i.e 4 subjects/term ?

Would be highly obliged if someone would clarify it for me please.

Regards,
BBThumbHealer :)

I can comment from an American university point of view (not sure about Canadian regulations).

As an F1 visa holder, you will be required to take a certain minimum per term course load (to qualify as a full time student - required to remain in legal F1 status).
The maximum is up to your capabilities and time management skills.

Number of credits per subject depends on the university/department/course.
A fair assumption would be 3 credits = 1 subject (YMMV). In that case you would be required to complete 8 courses to complete the degree requirements.

The 'full time course load' is generally optimal in terms of allowing you enough time for each subject as well as a little free time. People take higher course loads on occasion, but keep in mind, this can get extremely difficult to manage.

PS - The full time load is defined by the university.

@stalker .. Thanks for the response .. So in what time period can those 8 courses be completed ? Like in a year ? Would that be tough or manageable ?

Last edited by a moderator:
@stalker, one more thing. What's are the study hours that one can luk to for say completing the course in 1-1.5 yrs ? Are the universities over there conducting lectures, like 8hrs/6days a week just like in India or they are comparatively less, assuming i have to complete 8 subs in 1 year or 1.5 yr ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Depends on the course/professor.

Most lectures generally tend to be 45-90mins with classes meeting 2-3 times a week. Time you spend studying is upto you, but more often than not it turns out to be a full time affair even if you only have 10hours of lectures a week. Assignments/tests/exams can all add up.

Unless you're really good, anything more than 3 courses (9 or 12 credits, depending on the university) will be tough. Throw in a thesis and you'll find yourself burning the midnight oil quite frequently.

Back