Budget 90k+ Desktop for PhotoShop Work

srik79

Disciple
  1. Q: What is your budget?
  2. Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
    • None
  3. Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
    • Monitor - Dell 2412M
  4. Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    • CPU - i7 3770k + Need suggestion for CPU cooler
    • Motherboard - ASUS P8Z77-V PRO (Need 6 monitors, so i am not sure if 2 slots for GPU will do)
    • GPU - Thinking of 660 ti for Dell 2412M + 1 or 2 cheap GPU's to power auxiliary displays (5 x IPS225v's ).
    • RAM - 4x8GB (Please suggest a brand. Need the price to be reasonable.)
    • Monitors - 5 x IPS225v
    • Cabinet - Need suggestions
    • PSU - Need suggestions.
    • HDD - 1x120 SSD + 2x2TB Seagate
    • Keyboard + Mouse - Logitech wireless
    • DVD drive - Need suggestions
  5. Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    • Final for a year or two

6. Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • Hyderabad
    • Open to online purchase
  7. Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    • No
  8. Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • PhotoShop + Web Development

9. Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    • None
  10. Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    • Maybe some FPS
  11. Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    1. 1980x1080 i guess.
  12. Q: Are you looking to overclock?
    • No
  13. Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    • Windows 8
The important thing is i need the rig to have 5 or 6 display's.

@srik79, go for the following --

Intel Core i7 3770 ~19000/- + Cooler Master Hyper T4 ~2000/-
ASUS P8H77-V ~10000/-
G.Skill RIPJAWS 8GB x2 1866MHz ~9000/- OR G.Skill RIPJAWS 8GB x4 1600MHz ~9500/-
ASUS / GIGABYTE GTX660Ti 2GB ~21000/- OR Sapphire HD7950 3GB Vapor-X edition ~23000/-
HP / ASUS (boxed) optical drive ~1100/-
Crucial M4 256GB SSD ~14000/- (get it from onlyssd.com)
Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 1TB ~5500/- (per piece)
Corsair Carbide 400R ~5000/-
Corsair TX v2650W ~5800/-
Logitech / HP wireless combos ~1500/-
APC UPS to protect this RIG from power cuts / power spikes OR brownouts

Hope this helps, Cheerio!

P.S. -- Welcome to TechEnclave wish you a pleasant stay.

Last edited by a moderator:
Intel i7 3770-17k
Intel DH77KC-7k OR ASUS P8H77-V-10k
G.Skill RIPJAWS Z 2X8GB 1866mhz -9k
Segate 2TB 7200RPM-6.5k
Sapphire HD7950 Vapor-X Edition-23k
Corsair TX650V2-5.4k
Corsair Carbide 400R -5.4k
Crucial M4 256GB SSD-14k
Dell ST2220L-8.5k OR Dell U2312HM-15k[Choose any of these,Get as many as you want]
OP Since you're not going to overclock the Intel 'K' series processor is of no use to you so get the non-K intel proccy instead.The 2TB hard drive failure rate is more than 1TB so might want to consider that before getting 2X2TB HDD,If you're going to go for Sli/CrossX setup the you'd need a better psu.

OP wants to connect to 5-6 Displays.
Jakob; ALPHA17

Now is there a single GPU which has the above possibility? If not then then Sli/CrossX setup is the only way out. Again, care would have to be taken to pick the correct pair of GPU's so that they fit onto the motherboard (those that occupy 2.5 or 3 slots would be a waste).

OP has already chosen the 5 monitors he wants LG IPS 225v (this does not have Display-port; HDMI & DVI-D is there) - so rule out GPU cards that have maximum display-port outputs.

For Sli/Crossfire he would need a minimum 850W PSU.

Querry for OP

Do you use 3rd party plug-ins in Photoshop. If yes, then do confirm whether they use CUDA - if these plug-ins are very important to your work then you will have to go for Nvidia GPU. Otherwise AMD-Radeons are good to go.

Which version of Photoshop do you plan to use - CS6 ?

OP could check this link http://www.studio1productions.com/Articles/PhotoShop.htm

Cheers
Terry

OP has already chosen the 5 monitors he wants LG IPS 225v (this does not have Display-port; HDMI & DVI-D is there) - so rule out GPU cards that have maximum display-port outputs.

Querry for OP

Do you use 3rd party plug-ins in Photoshop. If yes, then do confirm whether they use CUDA - if these plug-ins are very important to your work then you will have to go for Nvidia GPU. Otherwise AMD-Radeons are good to go.

OP could check this link Video Cards for Adobe Photoshop CS6 with the Mercury Graphics Engine, OpenGL and OpenCL by David Knarr

Yes but he has not specified a ton of things. Like why he needs so many displays that too e-IPS without the appropriate INPUT.

What is his intention in PS. If he is using extensions OR no. Nice link on the subject, going through it now.

CrossFire / SLi would be a waste of money in my opinion but then I can be way off.

Yes but he has not specified a ton of things. Like why he needs so many displays that too e-IPS without the appropriate INPUT.

What is his intention in PS. If he is using extensions OR no.

Glad you raised these questions Abhay. OP has posted some answers (he pm'ed me) ....but is held up in review, so lets wait.

Here are further links on Photoshop CS6 & GPU + Proccy
Benchmark Results: Photoshop CS6 : Can OpenGL And OpenCL Overhaul Your Photo Editing Experience? | [h=2]Max graphics card (PC) performance for PS-CS6?[/h] | Which GPU for Photoshop cs6? - Overclockers Forums | Adobe Community: FAQ: What features use the GPU and how do I troubleshoot GPU issues? |

Cheers
Terry

Intel i7 3770-17k
Intel DH77KC-7k OR ASUS P8H77-V-10k
G.Skill RIPJAWS Z 2X8GB 1866mhz -9k
Segate 2TB 7200RPM-6.5k
Sapphire HD7950 Vapor-X Edition-23k
Corsair TX650V2-5.4k
Corsair Carbide 400R -5.4k
Crucial M4 256GB SSD-14k
Dell ST2220L-8.5k OR Dell U2312HM-15k[Choose any of these,Get as many as you want]
OP Since you're not going to overclock the Intel 'K' series processor is of no use to you so get the non-K intel proccy instead.The 2TB hard drive failure rate is more than 1TB so might want to consider that before getting 2X2TB HDD,If you're going to go for Sli/CrossX setup the you'd need a better psu.

The difference between 3770 and 3770k is only 2-3k, since i don't plan to upgrade it for a year or two, i will go with 3770k.
I will go for LG IPS225 as the difference is only 1.5k per monitor and since it will be 5-6 monitors, viewing angles will vary and IPS will account for that.
Okay, i will go for 1TB in that case.
Don't want to go for sli/crossfire if i can avoid it.

OP wants to connect to 5-6 Displays.
Jakob; ALPHA17

Now is there a single GPU which has the above possibility? If not then then Sli/CrossX setup is the only way out. Again, care would have to be taken to pick the correct pair of GPU's so that they fit onto the motherboard (those that occupy 2.5 or 3 slots would be a waste).

For Sli/Crossfire he would need a minimum 850W PSU.

Querry for OP

OP could check this link Video Cards for Adobe Photoshop CS6 with the Mercury Graphics Engine, OpenGL and OpenCL by David Knarr

Cheers
Terry

Yes CS6
Right now i am not using any plugins, but lets account for future and opt for nvidia itself.
Choose LG IPS225 as its IPS and below 10k. Also i have an LG IPS225 and like it very much.
The most important thing is setting up 5-6 display's as its the only reason for me to buy a desktop as i already have a HP 7010TX with i7 and 16gb ram.
So i need to know what solution is available and which motherboard has room for the GPU's.

What is his intention in PS. If he is using extensions OR no. Nice link on the subject, going through it now.

CrossFire / SLi would be a waste of money in my opinion but then I can be way off.

I have short attention span and i hate shifting through windows. So with 6 display's i will have everything laterally and hopefully it will increase my productivity.
Yes 2 660ti's in SLI will be expensive. Is it possible to have a setup with 6 display's without sli?
Need IPS because of viewing angles and price difference between dell st2220L and lg ips225 is like 1500 and dell doesn't have display port either.

Glad you raised these questions Abhay. OP has posted some answers (he pm'ed me) ....but is held up in review, so lets wait.

Here are further links on Photoshop CS6 & GPU + Proccy
Benchmark Results: Photoshop CS6 : Can OpenGL And OpenCL Overhaul Your Photo Editing Experience? | Max graphics card (PC) performance for PS-CS6?

| Which GPU for Photoshop cs6? - Overclockers Forums | Adobe Community: FAQ: What features use the GPU and how do I troubleshoot GPU issues? |

Cheers
Terry

Read them and looks like i need top end CPU and mid range GPU, so its 3770k and 660ti

I can compromise on LG IPS225's if the need be to accommodate for connectors in the GPU's.

I originally thought i can have a 660ti, connect it to Dell 2412m and get one or two other cheap gpu's and connect them to 5 other displays, 3 on one card and 2 on the other.
It won't work?

Also any idea where i can buy a couple of monitor arms?

The difference between 3770 and 3770k is only 2-3k, since i don't plan to upgrade it for a year or two, i will go with 3770k.

Yes CS6
Right now i am not using any plugins, but lets account for future and opt for nvidia itself.
Choose LG IPS225 as its IPS and below 10k. Also i have an LG IPS225 and like it very much.
The most important thing is setting up 5-6 display's as its the only reason for me to buy a desktop as i already have a HP 7010TX with i7 and 16gb ram.
So i need to know what solution is available and which motherboard has room for the GPU's.

I have short attention span and i hate shifting through windows. So with 6 display's i will have everything laterally and hopefully it will increase my productivity.
Yes 2 660ti's in SLI will be expensive. Is it possible to have a setup with 6 display's without sli?
Need IPS because of viewing angles and price difference between dell st2220L and lg ips225 is like 1500 and dell doesn't have display port either.

Read them and looks like i need top end CPU and mid range GPU, so its 3770k and 660ti

I can compromise on LG IPS225's if the need be to accommodate for connectors in the GPU's.

I originally thought i can have a 660ti, connect it to Dell 2412m and get one or two other cheap gpu's and connect them to 5 other displays, 3 on one card and 2 on the other.
It won't work?

The i7 3770 and 3770k are the same processor with one being incapable of over-clocking, so you can go for the former and not miss out on anything.

No nVidia card supports the multi-monitor set-up you are aiming at, AMD cards on the other hand thanks to EyeFinity can support upto 6 monitors from a single card no issues (as long as the appropriate cable and connectors check out).

If you are adamant on an nVidia SLi setup, you might have to consider going with the GIGABYTE-Z77X-UD3H ~13000/- to support the number of cards that you require.

I can understand the need for e-IPS panel based monitors.

No you cannot have more than two GPU's unless the motherboard explicitly supports that number of GPU's, which means more money spent in that area.

No idea about monitor arms. Although, I know a similar thread, so I can dig that up for relevant details.

Here you go, monitor arms --
Hope this answers your query. Cheerio!

The i7 3770 and 3770k are the same processor with one being incapable of over-clocking, so you can go for the former and not miss out on anything.

No nVidia card supports the multi-monitor set-up you are aiming at, AMD cards on the other hand thanks to EyeFinity can support upto 6 monitors from a single card no issues (as long as the appropriate cable and connectors check out).

If you are adamant on an nVidia SLi setup, you might have to consider going with the GIGABYTE-Z77X-UD3H ~13000/- to support the number of cards that you require.

I can understand the need for e-IPS panel based monitors.

No you cannot have more than two GPU's unless the motherboard explicitly supports that number of GPU's, which means more money spent in that area.

No idea about monitor arms. Although, I know a similar thread, so I can dig that up for relevant details.

Here you go, monitor arms --
Hope this answers your query. Cheerio!

Thanks for the effort :)

I don't mind buying multiple GPU's say 3 of them and buying a motherboard which can have 3 gpu's like the gigabyte motherboard you suggested.
GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 1155 - GA-Z77X-UD3H (rev. 1.0)
This one seems to have space for 3 cards.

Nvidia's faq seems to suggest that, as long as i have 3 different cards with different gpu's, they won't go into sli mode and can be used independently. so can i have 1 660ti and say one gt630 and another gt640 on this GIGABYTE-Z77X-UD3H ?

I don't mind buying multiple GPU's say 3 of them and buying a motherboard which can have 3 gpu's like the gigabyte motherboard you suggested.
GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 1155 - GA-Z77X-UD3H (rev. 1.0)
This one seems to have space for 3 cards.

Nvidia's faq seems to suggest that, as long as i have 3 different cards with different gpu's, they won't go into sli mode and can be used independently. so can i have 1 660ti and say one gt630 and another gt640 on this GIGABYTE-Z77X-UD3H ?

Ummm... If it is not in SLi how will it sync the display and would not the two cards clash with each other. I am not sure, let me do some homework. :unsure:

Thanks srik79 for the updates
......Read them and looks like i need top end CPU and mid range GPU, so its 3770k and 660ti

It won't work?

Thanks also Alpha for further inputs.......... Frankly speaking I am totally flummoxed with how to go ahead on this RIG (I need to update my own knowledge about so many things ....... the super-duper Monitor Setup that OP wishes to have).

Let me start with saying that I use a tri-monitor setup at my workplace (for over 10-15 years) - a dual monitor serves for my workspace [using the Avid DS Software] and the 3rd monitor is a Professional Broadcast Monitor (where ONLY the video/image content is displayed). The Dual monitor configuration is taken care of by normal windows settings & I use an Nvidia Quadro 5000 card. Working with a dual monitor is possible largely through specific video-editing softwares where the option of working with a single/dual monitor is within the software itself (Avid DS; Smoke; Final Cut pro; Adobe premiere pro; Nuke; Digital Fusion etc).

The 3rd monitor display [full screen video out] output is routed through a separate
Aja Kona 3G card + breakout box (that supports 4 monitor outs....with upto 4K resolution & 3D too) .... cost of this card is 1.5L.

I am still not able to understand how you plan to use 5 [LG] +1 [existing Dell] monitors?
Is it One Large Single Screen ?
What outputs do you want on each of these monitors?
- Suppose you tell me that Monitor 1 is PS CS6 workspace menu;
2 is PS Image output only full-screen (dunno if that's possible);
3 is Windows Explorer;
4 is Gmail
5 is Youtube....and
6 is ???????

Please Clarify as I am not clear at all on your usage.

Please help me understand better

The AMD/Radeon EyeInfinity is the best option for a single GPU with multi monitor setup. But I am not willing to jump any further until I understand precisely your usage pattern for 6 monitors.

In passing ..... [Stock Brokers/Traders in Mumbai use multi-monitor setups where their customers sit in front of 6-12 screens (each one displaying different sets of data/information) ......... how do those blokes do it] ?

Cheers
Terry

Thanks srik79 for the updates

Thanks also Alpha for further inputs.......... Frankly speaking I am totally flummoxed with how to go ahead on this RIG (I need to update my own knowledge about so many things ....... the super-duper Monitor Setup that OP wishes to have).

Let me start with saying that I use a tri-monitor setup at my workplace (for over 10-15 years) - a dual monitor serves for my workspace [using the Avid DS Software] and the 3rd monitor is a Professional Broadcast Monitor (where ONLY the video/image content is displayed). The Dual monitor configuration is taken care of by normal windows settings & I use an Nvidia Quadro 5000 card. Working with a dual monitor is possible largely through specific video-editing softwares where the option of working with a single/dual monitor is within the software itself (Avid DS; Smoke; Final Cut pro; Adobe premiere pro; Nuke; Digital Fusion etc).

The 3rd monitor display [full screen video out] output is routed through a separate
Aja Kona 3G card + breakout box (that supports 4 monitor outs....with upto 4K resolution & 3D too) .... cost of this card is 1.5L.

I am still not able to understand how you plan to use 5 [LG] +1 [existing Dell] monitors?
Is it One Large Single Screen ?
What outputs do you want on each of these monitors?
- Suppose you tell me that Monitor 1 is PS CS6 workspace menu;
2 is PS Image output only full-screen (dunno if that's possible);
3 is Windows Explorer;
4 is Gmail
5 is Youtube....and
6 is ???????

Please Clarify as I am not clear at all on your usage.

Please help me understand better

The AMD/Radeon EyeInfinity is the best option for a single GPU with multi monitor setup. But I am not willing to jump any further until I understand precisely your usage pattern for 6 monitors.

In passing ..... [Stock Brokers/Traders in Mumbai use multi-monitor setups where their customers sit in front of 6-12 screens (each one displaying different sets of data/information) ......... how do those blokes do it] ?

Cheers
Terry

Dell U2412M will have Photoshop.
1 Lg for Dreamweaver
1 Lg for FTP window
1 Lg for Gmail
1 Lg for twitter/browser
1 Lg for browser.

I can't use eyeinfinity as eyeinfinity needs all displays to have same resolution. I need the dell to change orientation between landscape and portrait without effecting other displays. Thats why i was thinking of having the 660ti dedicated to dell 2412, that way i can chage the orientation without effecting the others. At least that's what i thought.

Dell U2412M will have Photoshop.
1 Lg for Dreamweaver
1 Lg for FTP window
1 Lg for Gmail
1 Lg for twitter/browser
1 Lg for browser.

I can't use eyeinfinity as eyeinfinity needs all displays to have same resolution. I need the dell to change orientation between landscape and portrait without effecting other displays. Thats why i was thinking of having the 660ti dedicated to dell 2412, that way i can chage the orientation without effecting the others. At least that's what i thought.

THIS IS BEYOND MY LIMITTED EXPERIENCE & KNOWLEDGE....(It's a futuristic scenario from all those Sci-Fiction Movies). I withdraw from contributing any further to this thread.

I am intrigued by OP's vision & will monitor this thread to gain further knowledge.

How can a single CPU (even if it's multi-threaded & with a single GPU) deliver separate outputs to 6 monitors ? (as specified by OP above)

Can a single CPU based system (even if we tri or go quad-GPU) still deliver separate outputs to 6 monitors ?

:hail:

Ameen.

Terry

THIS IS BEYOND MY LIMITTED EXPERIENCE & KNOWLEDGE....(It's a futuristic scenario from all those Sci-Fiction Movies). I withdraw from contributing any further to this thread.

I am intrigued by OP's vision & will monitor this thread to gain further knowledge.

How can a single CPU (even if it's multi-threaded & with a single GPU) deliver separate outputs to 6 monitors ? (as specified by OP above)

Can a single CPU based system (even if we tri or go quad-GPU) still deliver separate outputs to 6 monitors ?

:hail:

Ameen.

Terry

Its possible. Check this : windows 8 - Suggest me GPU's & motherboard to set up 6 display's - Super User

Thanks srik79 ... I just skimmed through the link & it's associated threads. It just....just might be possible what you seek. I still am not fully convinced.

And all those seem to be pointing out towards AMD/Radeon & Eyeinfinity & not towards Nvidia.

Would love to watch a youtube video/demo of the same.

How can you split up (or route the output) of your workspace into 6 separate screens ?

Thanks

Back