Budget 90k+ Desktop for running emulators, budget around 2 Lacs

adikumar2010

Disciple
I need to make a desktop for my brother, as he mainly wants to run 8 Bluestacks at same time & some CPU intensive simulation tasks like Poker PIO Solvers. So I think we will need a top end CPU & 32GB RAM at least. GPU can be mid tier, as he won't be doing any video gaming. He doesn't want to upgrade it for next 5 years. Also don't need HDD, I think 2 TB SSD should be enough with R/W speed around 3Gbps or higher which pcie gen 3 SSD can do.

Don't need monitor or any peripherals only RAM, GPU, Mobo, CPU, Cooler, PSU, Cabinet and for cooling I think air cooler is better coz this PC will be used by a Big tech noob so he can't figure out if liquid cooler starts leaking nor he will be able to fix it on his own.

Please suggest me some specs.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.' Vague answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work.)
Ans: Bluestacks, PIO Solver, poker apps. All these but like multiple instances 7-8 bluestacks at same time. 5 different poker apps all at same time.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then please mention.
Ans: 2 Lac can go over also

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: No

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Win 10/11

5. How much hard drive / solid-state drive space is needed?
Ans: 2TB SSD (No HHD)

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention the screen size and resolution you prefer. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, then do mention the screen size and resolution of the monitor you have.
Ans: No

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy? i.e. which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: Peripherals like mouse, keyboard, headphones. Cabinet and everything inside will be brand new like PSU, CPU, GPU, Cooler, RAM, SSD.

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: This week

9. Have you ever built a desktop before? Or, will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: Done by assembler

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Jaipur prefer to buy prebuilt as the person who will be using it is tech noob. So want to buy everything from 1 shop and ask them to assemble & ship it to us... ready for use.
But if there is huge loss in buying all from 1 shop/website then can buy from different websites and ask someone to come to my home and assemble it.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: I want CPU to have iGPU. It will hardly be used for video games. I think 64GB RAM should be good but might be little overkill also DDR5 can be considered only if it is not super expensive compared to DDR4 & offers some noticeable performance gain.

SSD should not be low tier one. Anything which has lot of cache and can do read/write speed above 2500 mbps at all times even when it is filled. I don't think gen4 is needed unless price difference is not much from gen3. I don't notice any difference if 2500mbps or 4500mbps SSD speed much unless transferring files. But a cheap QLC SSD once it gets filled speed drops to 600mbps which is bad.

Last edited:
Go with Ryzen 5950x which is currently going for ~55k on online stores. You'll need all the cores you can get if you're going to run multiple VMs.
Will recommend 64 gigs of RAM for this workload. For future proofing as well, since DDR4 availability might become problematic 2-3 years down the line, once DDR5 is commonplace. Although, I'm not sure of any machine can run for 5 years under this kind of stress.

You might also want 2 SSDs to split between the VMs and an HDD for constant backups if any of the data is critical or might take a lot of time to recreate. Not required of you have an online backup solution.

As for GPU, a 1660 should be ok based on your requirements. Going for around 30k online.

Do keep the cooling in mind, you might need a good CPU cooler, so budget 8-10k for that as well.

With 8 VM's on a 5850x, each VM would just get 2 cores. If that's not enough and a stupendous 2L budget try the AMD EPYC™ 7443P and a nice motherboard. Here you'll get 3 cores & 6 threads per VM.
Both CPU & mobo can be have for 1.6-1.7L Plus 20K for ram.
Dual Samsung 980's would cross the budget but it's the next best thing after the 5950x.

He doesn't want to upgrade it for next 5 years.
Go with Threadripper. Any desktop grade CPU won't hold for that long for the task that you need to run.

Forget SSD, get nVME.

Edit: If you're gonna run Linux as primary OS, then get AMD GPU as they have better [FOSS] drivers and you don't need to deal with display issues.

Last edited:
Okay smarty pants, if you already knew the difference, why even bother replying with a vague reply saying "I'm lost".

Normally SSD are referred to drives that connect to SATA ports, not the M.2 ports.

The storage used in both SSD & M.2 drives (even in portable USB disks) are called "flash memory", not SSD. There is even a file system in Linux called as F2FS because its flash memory & not SSD, else they would have named it as "SSDFS". :)

Okay smarty pants, if you already knew the difference, why even bother replying with a vague reply saying "I'm lost".

Normally SSD are referred to drives that connect to SATA ports, not the M.2 ports.

The storage used in both SSD & M.2 drives (even in portable USB disks) are called "flash memory", not SSD. There is even a file system in Linux called as F2FS because its flash memory & not SSD, else they would have named it

I think there is some mix up. Here is an illustration in the TE market place context.

If someone has a listing which just says "i am selling an SSD", it is implied in today's world today it is using flash memory, it was not the case in the early days of the SSD.

My first question would be what is the form factor? The answers to that would be either an M.2 or a 2.5 drive.

The second being the protocol/interface used. Answers to that would be NVMe or SATA.

The f2fs is so named because of the storage type used and is the immutable unit. Unless NOR flash gains traction as the primary flash used in storage for whatever reasons. There might still be another level of classification with a moniker for the general public.

Back