Budget 31-40k Desktop mostly for society accounting purpose

MAGNeT

Skilled
1. What is your budget?
30k-40k(Society wont mine paying high amount if the desktop serves purpose atleast for 4-5 years)

2.What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
Nothing

3.Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
None

4.Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
Whole desktop (even branded can be suggested)

5.Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
No, will not upgrade .

6.Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
Mumbai(Lammington )or branded stores

7.Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
No

8.What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
Mostly accounting as it will strictly be society computer and yes printer is must.

9.Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
No bias.Should serve the purpose and if cheaper AMD also serves wont mine going for it

10.If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
APU compatible type.

11.What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
Not specific but planing for moniter with screen size bigger than 20 inch.

12.Are you looking to overclock?
No

13. Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
Windows 7 or further down version like XP

Hi

Processor: Chose between Intel - I have not recomended any "end of life" versions
i3-2120 ~ 6831 [HD 2000]
i3-3220 ~ 7150 [HD 2500]
i5-3570 ~ 12.5k [HD 4000]

No need for a separate GPU as any of the above will suit your purpose.

Motherboard: Gigabyte B75M-D3H ~ 4.1k
or
Asus P8H77-V LE ~ 7.4k
Intel DH77KC ~ 7.2k

RAM: 4GB x 2 [1600 Mhz] ~ 4.4k G.Skill Sniper or Ripjaws X
1333 MHz is also OK. However 2-3 years down the line, in case you need replacements etc then these will be more hard to find.
Allocate 1GB for your iGPU purposes. As you will not be adding an SSD, I have recommended 8GB so that your system is never slow (even if you multitask).

CABINET: Corsair Carbide 400R ~ 4.8k - [Great ventilation & cooling; you can add 1/2 extra fans too]
PSU: Seasonic S12II 430W ~ 3.3k
HDD: Use 2 separate drives (one of them for daily back ups). Chose Seagate or WD
500GB x 2 or 1TB x 2

Also get a 32GB pen drive [again for backups]

Monitor: AOC i2251FWE - 8300 -> IPS panel, much better colours and viewing angles
[You can work at 1920 x 1080 settings - great for MS Excel or Accounts]

MFD PRINTER: I am not sure which is best suited as HP Inkjets will bleed anyone to death. Maybe you'll should consider Epson & a laser too. Go for an MFD (as a Scanner is very useful for - scanning documents etc]

SOFTWARE [These have to be licensed :( ...... so do account for it in your budget]
Windows 7 - 64 bit [licensed]
Tally or ? Accounting package
Antivirus: Norton

I am presuming that you are from Mumbai & so no need for a UPS.

Cheers
Terry

P.S: The above system would definately last your society at least 5-7 years :happy:[DOUBLEPOST=1366692856][/DOUBLEPOST]I am not recomending any branded systems Dell/HP as they are over-priced + use cheapo components [psu/cabinet/motherboard/rams ...phew].The AMC part is OK (only if there is no one around your society who would fix issues)

But suppose anything happens to your assembled system then - then I presume you would be the system-doctor naa :yuck:

I would suggest the All-In-One PCs coz they have good config for the purposes of your/society's use.
Its compact. Consumes comparatively less power than a full Assembled cabinet + monitor.
Will take up very less space and looks stylish. Has inbuilt DVD rom and speakers also. Since its branded the society can expect better after sales service just in case.
All you need is a printer and a UPS to get started. You can visit few stores like Lenovo / Dell / Acer / Wipro to check out the various configurations and screen sizes it is available in and then decide.
The problem with assembled is that no matter how good components you use in case something messes up (and with novice users it always does) and they dont get satisfactory service they will point at you.
Also if its really not reqd no need to go for a overkill config. Its just wastage of money. Anyways in a year or 2 it wont be worth anything....

First thanks for the time in replying to this thread.

I asked my society peeps.They are ready to shelve upto 35k but say there is nothing like budget and all and it can go upto 40k.

Even they suggesting to get a ready-made PC and they have took some quotes from Vijay sales and Nxt but those were for lappy and now they decided pc shouldn't go out of society office hence desktop.

Yesterday whole night i did some research and finally found it to be more nearer to terence reply.

Also my budget is over passing till 60k but i guess i can easily make them understand that for next 5-7 years for hardware upgrades except some fault in Rams or Mobo and HDD this will long last.

The reason for not Going with AIO is they Simply look underpowered also a simple damage will prove costly to repair after warranty period and also non upgradeable shortens its future life.

Than coming to old desktop .Again similar stuff overcharging and some mobtherboards which they provide or ram are cheaper than what you get for the money.

Anyways i have tailored a setup and will forward the same to society.Also in mean time i will search for one AIO and a simple plain old fashion made desktop so that if my recommendation is dropped than they can go ahead with the second good option.

Here are my decision

CPU:: i3 3220 -7150 (primeabgb)/ 6980 (theitwares) (Another option i liked was amd trinity 5800k but its expensive as its mostly an accounting pc and not gaming worth for the money)

Mobo:: Gigabyte GA B75M D3H - 4200(primeabgb -the itwares) (Chipset the last and latest in for LGA 1155 platform)

Ram:: Any 8gb stick -4k(might go with same one as terence said of 2 sticks of 4 gb each)

HDD::WD 1tb -4200 (for any backup portable drive or PD will be enough i guess)

Cabinet::Nzxt beta evo mid tower - 3000(Cheapest best option.No one in society will allow a big expense on cabinet(PSU) as they things its available for 500 why to go with expensive one)

PSU::Corsair 450W-2200(Same reason as of cabinet)

DVD writer+keybaord /mouse::2k(cheaper just to work option)

LED::24 inch benq-10500 or Samsung 21.5 inch -8500 (Society just needs a bigger screen and i am going out with 10k budget for same)

Printer::Samsung 1866W-6100(I am trying to get same printer as my home )

Computer Table::5000

UPS::4000

Total Comes somewhere around::60000.

But i am pretty sure if everything works fine just for raw speed purpose no upgrade needed atleast for next 5-7 years unless something brokes out

Some doubt still remaining is how is BENQ service and is that model good enough and whether i can still trust samsung in led or not.Mine is working from past 8 years.

Great going - just a couple of things

1] Cabinet - go for NZXT Gamma ~ 2450 [the cooling in this cabby is better than the "Beta Evo"] -Note that this comes with only 1 fan, so
add - Coolermaster Value 4 in 1 Box Pack of Non-LED Fans (120mm) -R4-S2S-124K-GP [this is available for Rs 750 - 900]
Do not go for any "unbranded" fans as their build-quality + lifespan is minimal (apart from being noisy).
The additional cooling will protect & extend the "lifespan" of your system.

2] Monitor - Chose between Dell or Samsung [both are great quality]

How is Win 7 - 64 bit priced ?
Which "accounting package" will you be using ?

I am the (unfortunate) secretary of my society, so I do understand how difficult it is to convince those blokes :banghead: - who may argue that "entire setup" can be got for 20-25k also :inpain:

Cheers
Terry

First thanks for the time in replying to this thread.

I asked my society peeps.They are ready to shelve upto 35k but say there is nothing like budget and all and it can go upto 40k.
The reason for not Going with AIO is they Simply look underpowered also a simple damage will prove costly to repair after warranty period and also non upgradeable shortens its future life.
Some doubt still remaining is how is BENQ service and is that model good enough and whether i can still trust samsung in led or not.Mine is working from past 8 years.
1) As per your needs any dual core system will also be an overkill for the next 5 years. But just coz you are buying a new one I reckon going current configs.
2)I am still using PIIIs for accounting in shops and works fine with tally and XP.
3)AIO are stylish but not delicate. Infact the wear n tear and probability of damage is comparatively less in AIO as its a single unit sitting on ur desk corner not CPU, Monitor spread across.
I would still push hard for AIO as they look stylish and work pretty well. I know dealers selling them like hot cakes now a days. You can get good config like i5 with 4gb ram and 500gb hdd for about 40-43k.
You just need to add a UPS + Printer + desk. And how can it get damaged? Unless PPL are going to play ping pong on that desk :D
Dont go by your kitty.... drive by your needs.... A little future ready is always good but only if it is at a reasonable cost.
I had bought N73 for 20k when it launched taking into consideration VDO calls and 3G. Sad part was I never used those features and by the time 3G was launched that handset was 4years old.
I would suggest visit few shops and check out the machines for ur self.
Remember Society is not paying from its pockets. You all are contributing, so be reasonable. The amount saved can be used for various other things. Spend wisely. :) Recession is near ....

+1 for AIO
If the computing needs permit, you can even go for a Dual Core-Atom based AIO available for ~25k + printer/desk/ups of your choice. :)

@terence_fdes

any custom made software meant for society ?

Honestly - I do not know of any :( Will check with my CA - as I hand over all my accounts over to him (society's).

Incidently, I forgot to mention that I also do the "treasurer's" job (apart from being a secretary). Ours is a huge complex of 34 bldgs & each bldg manages it's own a/cs separately; however each bldg also has one nominee [in our case the treasurer who has to go for weekly meetings of the central committee as I find that impossible to manage]

Consensus is moving towards an AIO - again, I have no experience with them. These are relatively new things. I look at them as extended versions of Laptops.... and all having a lifespan of 3-4 years only. Maintenance is high (not like our normal assembled ones). Unless one goes in for a very high end/quality AIO - where good build peripherals are used (eg Apple iMac). The rest in the budget of 25-40k use oem/low-branded stuff. "Looks" should never be a deciding factor in this case at least.

Society financial decisions & deliberations are often "penny-wise pound foolish".

I've had my AMD Athlon 1800 run for 9 years -ONLY because at that time - each and every component that I picked was the "best" (the only thing that conked ooff was the DVD drive after 4 years; I did no further upgrade). During these years, I have witnessed countless systems of friends and family who spend half or just 1/4th of what I had spend & all of whose systems barely lasted them 2-4 years. This includes laptops. Some of them even had to go for completely new builds 3 times in the lifespan that I used my earlier system.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes the problem is with some geeky old members.They work in some nuclear physics department or some are heads in company like tata power or some have came back from DUBAI doing electrical engineering there and now retire with lot of property and pensions in banks.

But when coming to PC they ask look for a PC with atleast 16gb memory.:p

Anyways,another problem with assembled is they wont be ready to shelve much on software.In AIO at-least OS comes with package (pre install)hence its hidden.But if i go for assembled OS,Tally(if needed) and accounting software all might cross 25k+( i guess tally costs 17k for single license).

Also i dont want to be the software messiah guy for such stuff and risk my face later.

Hence now I am also thinking on AIO line.Not my headache for softwares.

Now for software i came across this software.Picture are pretty downsized but still readable and i guess its compatible with Indian society accounting purpose.

http://mumbai.olx.in/d-society-housing-society-accounting-and-billing-software-iid-439759073

I have message the guy if he doesnt reply will call when pc comes around.

Also now i heard that BHARAT co-operative bank in Mumbai also does the outsourcing jobs for such purpose.Hence that also looks a good option.
http://www.bharatbank.com/premiumsoc.htm

Well, well, well .... at the end of the day -they always win. All those claustrophobic idiots whenever it comes to "society-matters" think like dodo's and medieval nuts, always niggling... "Why are we spending so much? If something is not broken - why mend it (repairs & renovation matters)? They cry to raise the salary of the sweeper by 250 bucks .... because they hardly do proper work"..... and so on ad infinitum. Guys who demand explanations for every f**%ng paisa that is spent at the AGM - who think it is their fundamental birthright to "challenge & raise Hell" for the committee members; and remaining part of the year, they will never be seen or volunteer to take over responsibilities.

We have a retd. marine engineer in our building (from the British Raj) who refuses to pay off his dues for all the repair & renovation work that we undertook in the last 3 years [our building/colony is 31 years old build by Raheja's & according to that moron - it needed no repairs at all for another 50 years + all water pipes that we replaced were good to last for another 80 years]. Even after showing him the thick layers of rust & dirt inside the pipes he refused to budge from his pre-historic views. His outstandings have crossed 85K.

I guess, if I were you, I too would want "peace of mind" & F**K the rest (pointless casting pearls before swines). I thought yours was a more liberal & modern society, but I was wrong hehehee.

So just go ahead & get a branded PC (or an AIO) with an AMC & you can live in peace from those morons in your society.

Regarding the accounting software that you referred to - seems good & cheap as it's just a one time payment, without annual license renewal charges. Ask them for a demo.

Yes many co-op banks have started managing the accounts of societies - we have an account with Shamrao Vithal Bank & I keep getting letters from their branch manager for the same. So you could hop over to your society's bank & meet the branch manager - I think this option is better & cheaper. You would however have to check out all your querries with them
- would they prepare the monthly/qtly maintenance bills for members
- would they also audit the yearly accounts & prepare the balance sheet etc

There are pros & cons of the above "Having your own PC" vs "outsourcing" ..... it's too lengthy for me to list it out here.[DOUBLEPOST=1367299551][/DOUBLEPOST]You could also have a look at these online services
http://www.smartsociety.in/
cooperative housing society accounting software[DOUBLEPOST=1367300079][/DOUBLEPOST]Both of them seem equally interesting and they claim to take care of "everything" that one needs to in the managing & running of a society.

I just came across it today.

Oops... I really am impressed with what http://www.smartsociety.in/Pages/Info/services.html
offers also - check out their "Features & Benefits" - see each sub-section

Dunno if you are fully familiar with the "organisational" tasks of a Society - BUT if you show/discuss this with your committee members - even these old geeky gizzards would be blown. There is hardly anything that is left out + each member of the society will get a login to view everything online. Their office is based in Andheri-East.

Well, well, well .... at the end of the day -they always win. All those claustrophobic idiots whenever it comes to "society-matters" think like dodo's and medieval nuts, always niggling... "Why are we spending so much? If something is not broken - why mend it (repairs & renovation matters)? They cry to raise the salary of the sweeper by 250 bucks .... because they hardly do proper work"..... and so on ad infinitum. Guys who demand explanations for every f**%ng paisa that is spent at the AGM - who think it is their fundamental birthright to "challenge & raise Hell" for the committee members; and remaining part of the year, they will never be seen or volunteer to take over responsibilities.

We have a retd. marine engineer in our building (from the British Raj) who refuses to pay off his dues for all the repair & renovation work that we undertook in the last 3 years [our building/colony is 31 years old build by Raheja's & according to that moron - it needed no repairs at all for another 50 years + all water pipes that we replaced were good to last for another 80 years]. Even after showing him the thick layers of rust & dirt inside the pipes he refused to budge from his pre-historic views. His outstandings have crossed 85K.

I guess, if I were you, I too would want "peace of mind" & F**K the rest (pointless casting pearls before swines). I thought yours was a more liberal & modern society, but I was wrong hehehee.

So just go ahead & get a branded PC (or an AIO) with an AMC & you can live in peace from those morons in your society.

Regarding the accounting software that you referred to - seems good & cheap as it's just a one time payment, without annual license renewal charges. Ask them for a demo.

Yes many co-op banks have started managing the accounts of societies - we have an account with Shamrao Vithal Bank & I keep getting letters from their branch manager for the same. So you could hop over to your society's bank & meet the branch manager - I think this option is better & cheaper. You would however have to check out all your querries with them
- would they prepare the monthly/qtly maintenance bills for members
- would they also audit the yearly accounts & prepare the balance sheet etc

There are pros & cons of the above "Having your own PC" vs "outsourcing" ..... it's too lengthy for me to list it out here.[DOUBLEPOST=1367299551][/DOUBLEPOST]You could also have a look at these online services
http://www.smartsociety.in/
cooperative housing society accounting software[DOUBLEPOST=1367300079][/DOUBLEPOST]Both of them seem equally interesting and they claim to take care of "everything" that one needs to in the managing & running of a society.

I just came across it today.

Yes i did came across smartsociety yesterday only.But i didn't shared as their pricing is not mentioned.Ours is 95 flat society.Whereas these companies might be doing work with society which might be more than 3 times our society size.Also not mentioning pricing i feel it might be somewhere about or above 25k+ per year and than our poor soul accountant might get booted.

Anyways will share that information with the geeks.

And regarding pending due of members.Just give them a love letter.Our society just did same with 2 members having 1 lakh and 50 k pending amount.And the 50k guy is an income tax officer.

Content of love letter our society has adopted the latest bye laws and because of your pending dues we have forwarded your case to registrar.It is humbly requested plz waste your time at registrar office and dont even call any committee member so they enjoy this beautiful world rather than wasting time on like you moron.
And yes be ready to shelve extra and above the dues as society requesting the Registrar to auction the house and pay the remaining sum to you.So be ready for the fight from two side.

Sorry just legal threat that we forwarding your case to registrar and you need to contact them for future reference.Dues above 3 months i guess can be forwarded to Registrar office.And yes Registrar are basically people who doesnt want to waste time on society matters though they are responsible for same.They take immediate action.Hence people frighten once their name crops up.

Within 2 weeks both reduce their due by half and asked for 1 month time.

And yes tommorow illl make a visit to Mall and enquire the same for AIO.

Do your homework on available models AIO's from Dell & HP or Lenovo + prices.

Well I have been thinking about the "smartsociety" - even if one goes for the package, you would still need your PC/AIO to be kept in the Society's office + An accountant to do all the work [all the data entry/cheque deposits/bill-payments/maint staff-salaries etc, etc work to be done]. It would streamline things and be more efficient. If you can manage today - give a call to those guys (smartsociety - as them the rate & your querries)

Thanks for the "love-letter" tip. I will draft one soon. Actually, I have delayed my own Society's AGM + submission of accounts for the last 2 years (just completed it a week back). So that letter & Mr X's stubbornness will be tackled soon now that I am free.

Today made a visit to society office.

And suddenly now they saying restrict budget till 30k.Their reasons now is just for 5-10 hours weekly work why to spend so much.

I will give them an assemble quotation now.I dont think they have budget for any genuine OS except tally or accounting purpose.

WIll just shut off this matter now.

From 35 to 40 and now 30/I am sure when i give a final quotation they will cry for 25k.Plus thwy want printer and comp table which itself will eat up
10k.

D
Today made a visit to society office.

And suddenly now they saying restrict budget till 30k.Their reasons now is just for 5-10 hours weekly work why to spend so much.

I will give them an assemble quotation now.I dont think they have budget for any genuine OS except tally or accounting purpose.

WIll just shut off this matter now.

From 35 to 40 and now 30/I am sure when i give a final quotation they will cry for 25k.Plus thwy want printer and comp table which itself will eat up
10k.

Sigh.... My sympathies are with you. I understand, the blokes from your society are no different than mine :banghead:.

Do not consider this whole exercise as futile (it's been a learning lesson for me too). I can think of only one thing right now - see how best you can walk out of the situation. Let the MC (Managing Commitee) contact the local guy - any cyber parlour; local computer service guys etc & let him do the job..... and he will gladly do it.

As I see it, you are left with just 15k for the computer system; 10k for the printer + table & balance (whatever) for the accounting package. And this system will work for just 1-2 years before it goes kaput! So say your tata, bye-byes (lovingly) and move ahead. "Society ka mamla hai bhai - sab kuch ka hisab rakhna jaroori hai, par dimaag ka nahin" :joyful:

Back