CPU/Mobo Desktop Overheating and Shutting Down

Crazy_Eddy

Staff member
Super Mod
Feb 7, 2005
Try Core Temp to measure CPU temps. Also get CPU-Z to check what the core voltage is.

Any idea what thermal paste was used? Even if the entire thermal paste tube was emptied out, the clamping force of the heatsink will squeeze out all excess paste and leave a thin layer behind, so shouldn't be a problem. Make sure excess thermal paste around the CPU socket area has been cleaned out.

mohakg27

Disciple
Oct 18, 2012
New Delhi
So now I need a Thermal Paste. No harm in testing one more variable when so much has gone into this heating problem. I can easily go to Nehru Place and buy the Thermal Paste. No harm in crossing out yet another factor cos Fans I have installed. And not fans but 4 Fans with another CPU Cooler Hyper 212. So fan and air are not the problem.

Also I changed the Left Side Panel Fan position too and now its an INTAKE so again this Tweak did not do any good. The only thing now left is Thermal Paste cos now I'm sure the guy who assembled the rig applied the whole tube of it while all you veterans say that it has to be applied properly and in very small quantity. So I'm gonna give this one a shot.

Since Alpha17 has given a few good names of the TIM, I'm gonna go and find out.

With AMD I got an AMD Thermal Paste and with Cooler Master 212, I got Cooler Master Thermal Paste. Now the stupid assembly guy has used it all in one go, I'm left with none. Since you guys have been telling me names and some are hard to find, could you guys tell me that what exactly I have to say to the shopkeeper?

I read the TIM ARTICLE Alpha17 posted and it said that Silver Thermal Compound is the best. I really doubt the guys in Nehru Place would get this one. They gonna try and settle me for anything and this time I don't want to take any chances. So please educate me on this one and tell me what EXACTLY I say to the shopkeeper.

And Alpha17, I know SMC International shop :) I bought my Cooler Master Side Panel Fan from him. And from Computer Empire I bought an External Hard disk so I can trust these guys. Hope you guys tell me what exactly I need to ask them.

Alpha17 - Regarding Cooler Master eXtreme Pro, we can blame it once I buy a good Thermal Paste and see how it fairs. And if not then may be we can do something about it. But you guys have really helped me understand what could be the possible issues. :) \m/

- - - Updated - - -

Install Speedfan and post the readings of Speed fan. Check the seating of the cooler. Check that all the screws are tight and the cooler is seated tight with the processor.

Thermal paste would not make that much of a difference. Even tooth paste is as good as thermal paste.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080128214317AAaiYYl

I did this SpeedFan thing too. Temps are ballistic. If you say I'll do it again and post. Temps go in 90s when i play game.

Cooler is seated correctly and all the screws are tight. I would still try the thermal paste though. I wanna be sure this time. I have things in warranty so its better I try Tweaks and if nothing works, I can always go for Warranty. :D

Thanks! \m/

- - - Updated - - -

Install Speedfan and post the readings of Speed fan. Check the seating of the cooler. Check that all the screws are tight and the cooler is seated tight with the processor.

Thermal paste would not make that much of a difference. Even tooth paste is as good as thermal paste.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080128214317AAaiYYl

I did this SpeedFan thing too. Temps are ballistic. If you say I'll do it again and post. Temps go in 90s when i play game.

Cooler is seated correctly and all the screws are tight. I would still try the thermal paste though. I wanna be sure this time. I have things in warranty so its better I try Tweaks and if nothing works, I can always go for Warranty. :D

Thanks! \m/

- - - Updated - - -

Try Core Temp to measure CPU temps. Also get CPU-Z to check what the core voltage is.

Any idea what thermal paste was used? Even if the entire thermal paste tube was emptied out, the clamping force of the heatsink will squeeze out all excess paste and leave a thin layer behind, so shouldn't be a problem. Make sure excess thermal paste around the CPU socket area has been cleaned out.

OK I'll try Core Temp to measure CPU Temps. I'll also try this CPU-Z to check the core voltage and post the Screens here.

When I had Stock Heatsink, it was an AMD Thermal Paste and when I installed Cooler Master 212 Hyper, Cooler Master Thermal Paste was used. That's all I can tell you. :)

Sorry but some people say apply less Thermal Paste while you say it does not matter. Its really confusing me. Sorry but this problem has frustrated me enough that I just want it to go and never come back. :|

Crazy_Eddy

Staff member
Super Mod
Feb 7, 2005
Sorry but some people say apply less Thermal Paste while you say it does not matter. Its really confusing me. Sorry but this problem has frustrated me enough that I just want it to go and never come back. :|
The CM thermal paste should be good enough. The advice the others are giving about better thermal paste and better application are only to extract those last few degrees of temperature drop (~5 deg C). You need to shave off approx 20 deg C, and whatever you do with thermal paste isn't going to bring that sort of drop. Practically speaking, applying the entire tube is only going to leave you with a messy socket after you install the heatsink.

P.s.: When you said your CPU tower was overheating, which component did you touch to measure the heat? In fact if your CPU heatsink is hot, it further shows that your thermal paste is conducting heat properly. If your heatsink is cold, then it indicates there's a problem with the heatsink seating.

mohakg27

Disciple
Oct 18, 2012
New Delhi
The CM thermal paste should be good enough. The advice the others are giving about better thermal paste and better application are only to extract those last few degrees of temperature drop (~5 deg C). You need to shave off approx 20 deg C, and whatever you do with thermal paste isn't going to bring that sort of drop. Practically speaking, applying the entire tube is only going to leave you with a messy socket after you install the heatsink.

P.s.: When you said your CPU tower was overheating, which component did you touch to measure the heat? In fact if your CPU heatsink is hot, it further shows that your thermal paste is conducting heat properly. If your heatsink is cold, then it indicates there's a problem with the heatsink seating.

Exactly! I need the System to go down atleast 25 deg C. To a state where when I play games, it does not OVERHEAT and SHUTDOWN. But when everybody is telling me to check Thermal Paste, it raises a doubt so just wanted to do this Thermal Paste thing. Even when I googled this problem, the forums told that one should check the Thermal Paste. So it kinda hit me that when the world is after Thermal Paste then it must be the real culprit.

When it overheats then I touch the Top surface of the Cabinet and you just cannot put your hand on it for 15 seconds straight. Its crazy hot. And if you talk about the component, everything is insanely hot. The Heatsink, the RAM, the GPU. EVERYTHING! :(

Yes Heatsink is real hot even now. The moment I start my machine, I get these hot waves. I tried touching GPU and its the hottest. Heatsink and GPU, both are in some kinda competition as they both get really hot. :(

Please if its not Thermal Paste then what is it?????? Please help me out. I want it to be normal cos it has been 2 months and I bought this rig to play games and I'm not able to. :(

Crazy_Eddy

Staff member
Super Mod
Feb 7, 2005
Well if the heatsink is running hot, then its doing its job. GPUs run hot, thats normal. Run Coretemp to cross-check the temps. Most tools like Speedfan read temps from the motherboard's HW monitoring ICs, so they can often mix up readings, or the sensors could be misreading. CPU-Z will help check if CPU voltages are right.

P.s.: Thermal paste tends to dry out after a few years (or months). In those cases, applying a fresh layer of paste drops temperatures noticeably. I guess this has led to a lot of people mistakenly assuming that thermal paste can fix all overheating problems. Since your paste is fresh, I doubt this is applicable. There are cases where the heatsink is not seated correctly as well, and re-applying thermal paste forces you to re-seat the heatsink correctly and this can cause you to think the thermal paste was the problem.

Edit: I noticed you said that leaving the side panel open helped with temps. If possible can you test what sort of temperatures you're seeing (with Core temp) with the panel on and off.

mohakg27

Disciple
Oct 18, 2012
New Delhi
Well if the heatsink is running hot, then its doing its job. GPUs run hot, thats normal. Run Coretemp to cross-check the temps. Most tools like Speedfan read temps from the motherboard's HW monitoring ICs, so they can often mix up readings, or the sensors could be misreading. CPU-Z will help check if CPU voltages are right.

P.s.: Thermal paste tends to dry out after a few years (or months). In those cases, applying a fresh layer of paste drops temperatures noticeably. I guess this has led to a lot of people mistakenly assuming that thermal paste can fix all overheating problems. Since your paste is fresh, I doubt this is applicable. There are cases where the heatsink is not seated correctly as well, and re-applying thermal paste forces you to re-seat the heatsink correctly and this can cause you to think the thermal paste was the problem.

Edit: I noticed you said that leaving the side panel open helped with temps. If possible can you test what sort of temperatures you're seeing (with Core temp) with the panel on and off.

I just downloaded these softwares. Im gonna give them a try right now. I'm doing it and Im gonna post a screen real soon. I can do that. On to it. Thanks :D But if Thermal Paste is not the problem then what is the problem? Anything? :\

ALPHA17

Cooler "Master"
Skilled
Jan 6, 2010
Delhi, India
I just downloaded these softwares. Im gonna give them a try right now. I'm doing it and Im gonna post a screen real soon. I can do that. On to it. Thanks :D But if Thermal Paste is not the problem then what is the problem? Anything? :\

Mohak, see even if the TIM is not the culprit, you are checking the heat-sink fan setup for issues. So reseating calls for re-application of the TIM (appropriately measured and not smothering the CPU) and thus another issue is ticked off.

If your CPU is not the issue (with multiple readings, from multiple softwares) can we have a look at the wire-management inside your cabinet?

Crazy_Eddy

Staff member
Super Mod
Feb 7, 2005
re-application of the TIM (appropriately measured and not smothering the CPU)
I'm confused as to how TIM can smother a CPU. My understanding is that these are 2 (nearly) flat plates with high clamping force. Any excess paste will only get squeezed out from between them with that much force. Even stock thermal pads which are comparatively thicker and more solid are flattened with all the force. The only worry would be the mess and the potential conductive/capacitive effects the thermal paste would have on components surrounding the socket area.

can we have a look at the wire-management inside your cabinet?
A good point :)

mohakg27

Disciple
Oct 18, 2012
New Delhi
Mohak, see even if the TIM is not the culprit, you are checking the heat-sink fan setup for issues. So reseating calls for re-application of the TIM (appropriately measured and not smothering the CPU) and thus another issue is ticked off.

If your CPU is not the issue (with multiple readings, from multiple softwares) can we have a look at the wire-management inside your cabinet?

Exactly! So either way I have to apply the Thermal paste to seat the Heatsink correctly. And once done correctly, we can eliminate this possibility like you said.

Definitely. I'll click a photo and will post here soon. For now I'm posting a screenshot of various readings like the members have said. :)

ALPHA17

Cooler "Master"
Skilled
Jan 6, 2010
Delhi, India
I'm confused as to how TIM can smother a CPU. My understanding is that these are 2 (nearly) flat plates with high clamping force. Any excess paste will only get squeezed out from between them with that much force. Even stock thermal pads which are comparatively thicker and more solid are flattened with all the force. The only worry would be the mess and the potential conductive/capacitive effects the thermal paste would have on components surrounding the socket area.

^^ With my experience of TIM, I find that apart from making a hash of things, excess paste (even after majority is flushed by pressure) still clots and bunches in areas between the IHS of the CPU and the heat-sinks contact plate. Also, the mounting system of the Cooler Master Hyper 212+ / EVO is not good enough for evenly applying pressure and the heat-sink tower even after being securely fastened has a tendency to yaw-pitch (which means the same is not fully secure).

All this is my experience with the Cooler Hyper 212+ which I had for 2 years on an AMD AM3 platform so I could have been doing things wrong but the mounting system is not the best and I have shared it with the Cooler Master REP. They have redesigned their mounting system for the Cooler Master Hyper T4 and onwards.

Old mounting system --> http://www.coolermaster.com/upload/product/6741/featured/top5.jpg?1491451975

New mounting system -->
top6.jpg

The X-Bar (in the old system) was the reason for the yaw because the pressure was applied only in the centre whilst the rest of the IHS and base were not so well fastened.

Hope this explains me, Cheerio!

mohakg27

Disciple
Oct 18, 2012
New Delhi
Normal Computing.jpgWhile Gaming.jpg

One Screenshot - Normal Computing Stats
Another - While Gaming Stats

Tomorrow I will post the Stats without the side door of the Cabinet and also the photo of the Wire-Management.

You are not going to like it cos the guy has done a messy job with the cables. :(

ALPHA17

Cooler "Master"
Skilled
Jan 6, 2010
Delhi, India
Tomorrow I will post the Stats without the side door of the Cabinet and also the photo of the Wire-Management.

You are not going to like it cos the guy has done a messy job with the cables. :(

Sure buddy, take your time. For now, good night.

Whether we like it OR not (cable-management) we got to tell you how to improve your situation.

mohakg27

Disciple
Oct 18, 2012
New Delhi
It seems I have the Old Mounting System. No worries. You just tell me what Thermal Paste I need to get and tomorrow I will go to Nehru Place and do this on my own. Just tell me EXACTLY what I need to say to the shopkeeper. We can try the Thermal Paste point and then if everything goes right, I will be a happy man else I don't know what I'm gonna do cos I really don't have any idea why it is happening.

- - - Updated - - -

Sure buddy, take your time. For now, good night.

Whether we like it OR not (cable-management) we got to tell you how to improve your situation.

Thanks Alpha17. You have been a great support. Good Night and see you tomorrow. :)

asingh

Staff member
Super Mod
Jun 13, 2009
New Delhi
Those temperatures seem not that bad. There should be another reason why your system is stalling. Can you load it for a few minutes, and make a reading using CoreTemp. Forget Speedfan.

mohakg27

Disciple
Oct 18, 2012
New Delhi
Those temperatures seem not that bad. There should be another reason why your system is stalling. Can you load it for a few minutes, and make a reading using CoreTemp. Forget Speedfan.

These temps may not be bad but I did not continue gaming any further else it would shut the system down cos of massive overheating.

Sorry but I did not get the READING USING CORE TEMP thing. How do I do it? How do I make readings? Sorry again but I really don't have any idea. :(

asingh

Staff member
Super Mod
Jun 13, 2009
New Delhi
CoreTemp has a logging function. It creates a .CSV file with the dump of all cores. I think you can use that while gaming. Try it.

sankar_45

Disciple
Oct 4, 2012
Kolkata
mohakg27, I think it is time for some action. Locate a computer shop who does repair ( you may have one already). Take your rig there. First try swapping the Power supply. That would eliminate the power supply. Then swap the cooler if the shop has a spare one. Then the Graphics card. By trail and error(swapping different components) you should be able to solve the problem.

This is the only way now. We have been discussing probable causes and getting nowhere.

Other members could suggest what to do while in the repair shop.

Please post the solution of the problem. In most of the threads on the net, we never know whether the problem was solved because the original poster forgets the thread once his problem is solved.

mohakg27

Disciple
Oct 18, 2012
New Delhi
mohakg27, I think it is time for some action. Locate a computer shop who does repair ( you may have one already). Take your rig there. First try swapping the Power supply. That would eliminate the power supply. Then swap the cooler if the shop has a spare one. Then the Graphics card. By trail and error(swapping different components) you should be able to solve the problem.

This is the only way now. We have been discussing probable causes and getting nowhere.

Other members could suggest what to do while in the repair shop.

Please post the solution of the problem. In most of the threads on the net, we never know whether the problem was solved because the original poster forgets the thread once his problem is solved.

This swapping thing is not practical at all. What I have is a 600W Power Supply. Now I have this big doubt that they would have this kinda Power Supply or anything. I'm also sure they would not have a cooler and I'm damn sure about it. I have a GTX 560 Ti and do you really think they would have anything like it? We people might have but these repair shops go with basics and nothing fancy. So forget about it cos I havent seen one repair shop who can do this Swap Test thing. They can test things on my machine but they would not swap things and even if they do, they might not have the correct Components to test this.

And regarding the SOLUTION, be sure that Im gonna post the SOLUTION the moment I get the SOLUTION which I will never get. Call me a pessimist but right now Im a frustrated man who is getting nowhere. :(

- - - Updated - - -

Do so. And you do not need to game, till it stalls. Just do it for 2-3 minutes. That is more than enough.

OK Thankyou :) Just give me some time and I will do it for sure and post it. ASAP! :) Right now I'm posting some photos of Wire Management and stuff. Some other veteran Members have told me to do so. I can do anything to get this problem out of my life cos its a 70k Machine just to surf the internet. :(

- - - Updated - - -

DSC02479.jpgDSC02515.jpgDSC02516.jpgDSC02517.jpgDSC02518.jpgDSC02519.jpgDSC02520.jpg

These are some photographs of How I have placed the CPU Tower (Spacing - As people say to keep it in the open but believe me, its kept perfectly in an open space as you can see) and Wire Management.

Next I have to post is the CoreTemp, SpeedFan and CPU-ID without the Side Door of the Cabinet while gaming. And then .CSV file.

I'll do that very soon. :)