CPU/Mobo Desktop Overheating and Shutting Down

dangerous. Many cleaners contain water. After shaves do not even mention ingredients on the bottle. Electrolytes in dust mixed with water can become conducting and at the wrong place cause damage to the hardware. If using such liquids, thorough cleaning of the motherboard before and after the cleaning activity is necessary.

I specifically mentioned --
You do not need any specific compound to get the residue off the processor, you can use alcohol based cleaners, disinfectants, deodorant and drinking alcohol (not inclusive beer) to clear the old thermal paste from the CPU IHS and heat-sink contact plate. I myself prefer after-shave.
Is the same underlined, emboldened enough for you to notice.

I think Gillette is reliable enough as an after-shave / cleaner. That is the way I finish my supply of the same.

Smirnoff / FUEL vodka and Old Monk Rum is not watered down bunk when you take it from the retail bottle.

Guys guess what. Like you told me that the Fan of the CPU Cooler CM Hyper 212 EVO should be placed on the other side. I did that and managed cable somewhat (its close to the same but still did some wires here and there). The CPU Tower is not heating that much now. I mean its still heating but not heating to the point where the system would shut down. I guess I need to apply the Thermal Paste and it would also bring down the temps.

So I guess it would be the normal Temp. But I'm not happy cos I did not test it fully like the BurnIn Test or full fledged Gaming. Doing it now and will soon let you know. Fingers crossed guys. Hope this works. :D

I specifically mentioned --

Is the same underlined, emboldened enough for you to notice.

I think Gillette is reliable enough as an after-shave / cleaner. That is the way I finish my supply of the same.

Smirnoff / FUEL vodka and Old Monk Rum is not watered down bunk when you take it from the retail bottle.

Alcohol based does not mean anhydrous. COMPLETELY different concepts.

And Old Monk rum, the 48% alcohol rum? What do you think the other 52% is made of ? Oil?

One doesn't need to "water down" rum. Rum making process already adds water.

Gillette is reliable after shave so use it as electronics cleaner? Bosch makes reliable drills so use them as a hammer? Logic.

Unless explicitly mentioned, all "alcohol based" cleaners which are not intended for cleaning electronics or other water-sensitive materials, contain water. For a good aftershave action, 40% alcohol is more enough. Rest could easily be water without losing any quality, though after shave manufacturers are not kind enough to tell the exact proportion.

OK guys new UPDATE. Played Battlefield 3 for 2+ Hours and no ShutDown. Although it is heating up but I guess this is because its such a heavy rig so I guess this amount of heating is normal. What say? I'm still to record new TEMPS. I'm so happy that changing the CPU Cooler Fan Position did the trick. But its still heating and may be applying new Thermal Paste properly would bring this down too. And Alpha17 posted a very good Cable Management Thread.

I'm gonna follow that and do it accordingly. I guess this could end soon. I will keep you posted as I go further testing different variables. I think we are close to solve this one. :D Thank you all guys. You have been an immense support and you guys rock. I will soon post with New Temps. Today was Dussehra so couldn't go to Nehru Place but tomorrow should be good. Will buy the Thermal Paste and again will let you know. I will bring some cable ties from there only.

Will do the Cable Management and I guess it should be PERFECT :D I just can't believe that changing the Fan Position of CM Hyper 212 EVO could make such a big difference. Damn! You guys are fabulous. :D \m/

- - - Updated - - -

For those who are visiting this THREAD having same problem, these are the things you can do -

Fan Position -

Front = INTAKE
Left = INTAKE
Bottom = INTAKE
Back = EXHAUST

CPU Cooler Fan Position -

Place the Fan near the RAM and not near the Back Exhaust Fan.

Cable Management -

Cable Management makes a huge difference cos I just did minor tweaks and it helped me a lot. So make sure you do it flawlessly.

I'm still to test Thermal Paste Tweak so as soon as I do it, I will let you guys know.

All thanks to these Techno Veterans! They made it easy and possible. Thank you guys! :) RESPECT!

Great. Now if you want to really spurge, you could get a Cooler master Blade Runner Fan or better still Silverstone 120MM FM121.

The air pressure is 4.27mm/H2O (Blademaster) compared to 2.7mm/H2O (stock EVO Fan).

You could go for a Push/Pull with two Blade Runners. ( buy them and start running around for a splitter cable :))

Of course you will spend more on the fans than the EVO cooler.

BTW if you are buying Arctic Silver you have to use the middle dot method if I remember correctly. Check the method here.

Arctic Silver Incorporated - Route to Product Instructions for Arctic Silver 5

Alcohol based does not mean anhydrous. COMPLETELY different concepts.

Unless explicitly mentioned, all "alcohol based" cleaners which are not intended for cleaning electronics or other water-sensitive materials, contain water.

I was not making any comments on anhydrous agents.

The point is all these day to day solutions can be re-purposed with no ill effect. I have been using after shave for the past two years being a college going student and having no reliable access to isopropyl alcohol.

Next if you are so worried about this stuff screwing up your components, go and buy a can of WD40 OR Zorik (oil-based rust removers). That will do fine too but silicone based pastes might end up getting even more messy.
@mohakg27 glad your problem got solved.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I guess it would be the normal Temp. But I'm not happy cos I did not test it fully like the BurnIn Test

Please do not use Synthetic tests to test your system. As it is, it is unstable. Just try gaming or daily usage scenarios. These tests stress the system way too much, and can cause harm.

You were. From your statement about "alcohol based" , you disagreed about my statement about these liquids having water. Which means claiming they are anhydrous.
The point is all these day to day solutions can be re-purposed with no ill effect. I have been using after shave for the past two years being a college going student and having no reliable access to isopropyl alcohol.

Yes, and drills can be used as hammers. It is neither good for the drill nor good as a hammer. As I said, at the wrong place on the motherboard, a drop of such liquids can be dangerous. So it is a wrong advice.

Please do not use Synthetic tests to test your system. As it is, it is unstable. Just try gaming or daily usage scenarios. These tests stress the system way too much, and can cause harm.

So you mean to say that Stress Tests are not good? I always wondered that why these things are never good and successful. Thankyou. Right now situation is much under control. But still its heating. Thats gonna go once I do TIM and Cable Management. Thanks a lot. I will keep you posted. The problem is solved partially only so I have still a reason to eat your heads. :p Hahahahaa!

- - - Updated - - -

Next if you are so worried about this stuff screwing up your components, go and buy a can of WD40 OR Zorik (oil-based rust removers). That will do fine too but silicone based pastes might end up getting even more messy.
@mohakg27 glad your problem got solved.

Hey Alpha17. My problem is solved but only partially. So I think I'm gonna be cribbing for a while even after this success. :D But Thank You! I will still be eating your head until I put Thermal Paste and do the Cable Management. On a serious note, the Tower is still heating. Its just that now the system does not shut down so we still have a reason to be here.

But really thanks a lot for all the help. OBLIGED! :) RESPECT!

Last edited by a moderator:
Any news?

OK guys new UPDATE. Played Battlefield 3 for 2+ Hours and no ShutDown. Although it is heating up but I guess this is because its such a heavy rig so I guess this amount of heating is normal. What say? I'm still to record new TEMPS. I'm so happy that changing the CPU Cooler Fan Position did the trick. But its still heating and may be applying new Thermal Paste properly would bring this down too. And Alpha17 posted a very good Cable Management Thread.

I'm gonna follow that and do it accordingly. I guess this could end soon. I will keep you posted as I go further testing different variables. I think we are close to solve this one. :D Thank you all guys. You have been an immense support and you guys rock. I will soon post with New Temps. Today was Dussehra so couldn't go to Nehru Place but tomorrow should be good. Will buy the Thermal Paste and again will let you know. I will bring some cable ties from there only.

Will do the Cable Management and I guess it should be PERFECT :D I just can't believe that changing the Fan Position of CM Hyper 212 EVO could make such a big difference. Damn! You guys are fabulous. :D \m/

- - - Updated - - -

For those who are visiting this THREAD having same problem, these are the things you can do -

Fan Position -

Front = INTAKE
Left = INTAKE
Bottom = INTAKE
Back = EXHAUST

CPU Cooler Fan Position -

Place the Fan near the RAM and not near the Back Exhaust Fan.

Cable Management -

Cable Management makes a huge difference cos I just did minor tweaks and it helped me a lot. So make sure you do it flawlessly.

I'm still to test Thermal Paste Tweak so as soon as I do it, I will let you guys know.

All thanks to these Techno Veterans! They made it easy and possible. Thank you guys! :) RESPECT!

Any news?

The Problem got solved ALMOST by that CPU Cooler Fan Position Change thing but due to this festive season I'm not getting time to buy Thermal Paste :'(

I feel so embarrassed that its my problem and you lovely people have to ask me. Damn! Shame on me. But the moment I do that will surely let you know. I haven't forgotten this thread. :)

We gonna write SOLVED here for sure :D

Thanks a lot once again :)

OK guys! First of all I'm sorry for ditching the thread like this but honestly did not want to irk nobody with my noobness. So the next thing is that when you guys were helping me out, it was last summer and changing the fan positions really helped. So it was indeed the Heating problem and no hardware defect if I'm not wrong. Looking at this, wanted to try out the Delhi winters and honestly, it did not Shutdown for once being so cold here. The machine was like super cold all the time and did not overheat for once.

This would eliminate the Thermal Paste option too as it might not be the culprit here. So after testing for long 4 months, I have realized that my Tower Cooler Master 335U Elite is not the right option for the hardware I'm running.

I've decided to put in some money and buy Cooler Master HAF XM which is like a crazy tower with fans and fans and fans and ventilation and more fans. I think I'm making the right decision so next Sunday will bring home the new Tower. I seriously think it is nothing but this shitty Tower that I have cos it never gave air the chance to have a good flow overall thus the rig got heated up every time and then eventually Shutdown.

The reason I posted nothing here for so long was to test what actually could be the real and main reason and it was damn Heat. I just wanted to be sure here. If any suggestions then please lemme know as you guys have always been a huge help. I think with CPU Cooler and this new HAF XM Tower, it would be just perfect.

Cooler Master HAF XM - HAF XM (APAC only) - Cooler Master

OK guys! First of all I'm sorry for ditching the thread like this but honestly did not want to irk nobody with my noobness. So the next thing is that when you guys were helping me out, it was last summer and changing the fan positions really helped. So it was indeed the Heating problem and no hardware defect if I'm not wrong. Looking at this, wanted to try out the Delhi winters and honestly, it did not Shutdown for once being so cold here. The machine was like super cold all the time and did not overheat for once.

Yes in winters the temperatures come down substantially in places like Delhi and as you go further North.

And no issues, without new comers the forum will stagnate and fail to grow. Any doubts, shoot away.

This would eliminate the Thermal Paste option too as it might not be the culprit here. So after testing for long 4 months, I have realized that my Tower Cooler Master 335U Elite is not the right option for the hardware I'm running.

Still a fresh coat of thermal paste is always welcome and never hurts until the goop used is sub-standard.

I've decided to put in some money and buy Cooler Master HAF XM which is like a crazy tower with fans and fans and fans and ventilation and more fans. I think I'm making the right decision so next Sunday will bring home the new Tower. I seriously think it is nothing but this shitty Tower that I have cos it never gave air the chance to have a good flow overall thus the rig got heated up every time and then eventually Shutdown.

I suggest you go for a more conservative approach, the Cooler Master STORM Enforcer / Scout II OR Corsair Carbide 400R should get your job without burning to big a hole in your pocket.

The reason I posted nothing here for so long was to test what actually could be the real and main reason and it was damn Heat. I just wanted to be sure here. If any suggestions then please lemme know as you guys have always been a huge help. I think with CPU Cooler and this new HAF XM Tower, it would be just perfect.

Which CPU cooler do you plan to buy OR have purchased?

Hope this helps, Cheerio!

Yes in winters the temperatures come down substantially in places like Delhi and as you go further North.

And no issues, without new comers the forum will stagnate and fail to grow. Any doubts, shoot away.

Still a fresh coat of thermal paste is always welcome and never hurts until the goop used is sub-standard.

I suggest you go for a more conservative approach, the Cooler Master STORM Enforcer / Scout II OR Corsair Carbide 400R should get your job without burning to big a hole in your pocket.

I will check out the ITEMS you have mentioned. But my only concern is that now I have money and I really don't want anything to go wrong so just have this thing in my mind that spend once and spend good. Cos later if anything cheaper does not solve the purpose then it gets very frustrating and moreover the money goes down the drain. But ofcourse if you veterans are suggesting something then it should be cool. I'll check out the ITEMS you have posted.

And I already have a CPU Cooler. Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo so will not spend on CPU Cooler it seems. :)

- - - Updated - - -

I will check out the ITEMS you have mentioned. But my only concern is that now I have money and I really don't want anything to go wrong so just have this thing in my mind that spend once and spend good. Cos later if anything cheaper does not solve the purpose then it gets very frustrating and moreover the money goes down the drain. But ofcourse if you veterans are suggesting something then it should be cool. I'll check out the ITEMS you have posted.

And I already have a CPU Cooler. Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo so will not spend on CPU Cooler it seems. :)

- - - Updated - - -

So I checked out Enforcer/Scout and Corsair too. I think Scout and Enforcer are like very close to HAF XM range wise so why not buy High Air Flow (HAF) cabinet. But Corsair was comparatively cheaper than all of them but not satisfied with fans there. The max it can go up to is 140mm. In fact all of them can go up to 140mm while HAF XM has 2 200mm fans. I'm sorry if I sound rude and argumentative. I do not mean to cut your choices but actually I'm too scared to take a risk now.

I hope you will get my point as being troubled by my rig and just don't want to compromise this time. I know I can be wrong and deep down insdie I also know that you are right but its just me who is a lil cracked up here cos the very thought of overheating and shutdown gives me chills and scares the hell out of me.

And yes I will also buy the Thermal Paste you guys suggested. Actually you are right. Why not put thermal paste again to double check everything. Looks like my Assemble Guy would do this for me cos I'll take my old Rig and hand it over to him. So this time I will ask him not to empty the whole thing on the surface. As you guys said that a drop is enough right? Will tell him that go easy on thermal paste and clear it properly.[DOUBLEPOST=1363486220,1361815972][/DOUBLEPOST]So like a shameless noob I come back again. I honestly want to end this all but I get confused every time I have to make a decision. It was so perfect but last week ALPHA suggested not to spend huge on Cabinets like Cooler Master HAF XM or Cooler Master Storm Trooper (Yes! That's what I was thinking to buy after I ditched HAF XM).

This started something and googled many more Cabinets. Since I personally feel Corsair 400R would still be problematic, I was on to this Corsair 500R. Not many big differences but still has a 200mm Fan Support and a few minor tweaks here and there. Although ALPHA is like super genius when it comes to me but call me finicky or mad but I'm actually going insane here.

I just do not want to be in this whole trouble this time esp. after putting more money and effort. To be very honest even I think it makes no sense spending 11k on a Cabinet that would be of no use to me. Since I use no water cooling or anything, I don't require a Full Tower. So what about this Corsair 500R?

I actually feel like crying right now cos I don't want to spend more than 10k and also do not want to buy a Cabinet that would not solve my Overheating issue. Cos after buying a Cabinet I again have to spend some more on Fans. That would just add up to the initial cost.

Corsair 500R is like a good Mid Tower with 10 Fans Support. (http://www.corsair.com/en/pc-cases/carbide-series-pc-case/carbide-series-500r-mid-tower-case.html)

What would frustrate me the most is that if at all I buy CM Storm Trooper or Corsair 400R/500R and still find out that it is not the Cabinet issue, I would seriously electrocute myself with wires running around my Cabinet. So to be on the safer side I wanna go with a good Cabinet that's not that costly but still can do the trick. Cos one member said that it might be a bad Core or something that's causing the problem. I hope you are getting my point. I sound so confused right now.

CM Storm Trooper - Rs. 11500
Corsair 500R - Rs. 7500

Hi mohakg27, glad you were able to solve your problem.

I had a similar problem like yours about the cabinet. I was using Coolermaster 333 Elite for my old 939 X2 build, then upgraded to AMD X6. The top plate of this cabinet used to become hot whenever I used to game in X6, mind you this was with all the side plates open. Later on, I upgraded to HAF 932 and could appreciate the benefits of big cabinets. If you are having the budget to go for a big cabinet, please do so. It is not like you are going to change your cabinet with every new CPU launch. Get the biggest and best you can get. You will appreciate it in the long run.

Cheers.

Hi mohakg27, glad you were able to solve your problem.

I had a similar problem like yours about the cabinet. I was using Coolermaster 333 Elite for my old 939 X2 build, then upgraded to AMD X6. The top plate of this cabinet used to become hot whenever I used to game in X6, mind you this was with all the side plates open. Later on, I upgraded to HAF 932 and could appreciate the benefits of big cabinets. If you are having the budget to go for a big cabinet, please do so. It is not like you are going to change your cabinet with every new CPU launch. Get the biggest and best you can get. You will appreciate it in the long run.

Cheers.

Hey SPR thanks mite. I've made my mind and buying Corsair Carbide 500R now. Since it can be installed with 10 fans where 1 fan is a 200mm one. It looks solid and big. Not a Full Tower but a good big tower with great air flow. With all those meshes and air flow, it should work fine.

I was planning to get my Processor replaced cos someone said that it might be that where one of my Cores is crapping me out. I'm still to do that but I have a real interesting thing here and you guys would just love to know it. Although I think you guys would know it already but then again I'd like to share it with you all.

My Processor is AMD FX8150 and it has 8 Cores. Now these new technology is going ballistic these days and they don't know how to keep it simple and they have this thing called 'Core Performance Boost'. I downloaded AMD Overdrive (http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/amd-overdrive/pages/overview.aspx) and it just lets me Enable/Disable it. If I Enable it then it gives me choice to use any number of Cores for Boost when on load but when disabled then I guess I can distribute the load and all cores will act rather than the selected number of Cores for 'Core Performance Boost'.

I read about it and it is some kind of a Power Saving thing.

Now whenever I play Games I disable it cos I want to use all my Cores and not just 4 Cores or 6 Cores or 2 Cores when on load. I wonder why would anybody want to limit that?

So the thing is that this AMD Overdrive thing really helped me cos I tested gaming with Enabled (It flunked super bad) and Disabled (Outrageous improvements there). Where I was playing Battlefield3 for 15 minutes on Enabled (Overheated and Shutdown), I was able to play it for an hour with Disabled. Moreover I quit it after an hour and did not Shutdown and the top surface of the cabinet wasn't that hot too.

But to further enhance everything and stuff, I would get my Processor replaced and buy Corsair Carbide 5oor (New Cabinet - Mid Tower) so that it stays even more cooler. Still I would not say that the thread is Solved cos it would take me time to do all these things and when I'm done with everything, I would really love to say it's SOLVED. Thanks once again all of you! You guys blaady ROCK!

Also to view image, please Right Click and View Image or Options similar to this. Why am I even writing this? You guys are super technos. Cheerio!
ivbeq9.jpg

29y2k4i.jpg

fc1nit.jpg

I would like to thank all the people who posted their replies here and helped me out on this issue. I know a I took a lot of time but now I'd like to close it by saying that some replies helped me out big time.

So guys if you have a similar problem then -

- Buy a bigger CABINET (I bought Corsair Carbide 500R)
- Buy Fans to keep it cool. Watercoolers not necessary unless it's some ultra-gaming machine that makes your cabinet super hot. (Check out the fan placements in the thread itself with that diagram).
- People who are using AMD Processors can go in to BIOS settings and DISABLE TURBO CORE. Or you can simply download AMD Overdrive form their website and DISABLE it (Check out the above photos to get the idea and I'd suggest you to DISABLE it from BIOS).

The basic idea is to keep it cool (as simple as that) so guys, follow these steps, this thread, and it should all be fine!

Again I'd like to thank all these super awesome people who helped me out on this one. You guys ROCK.

I think it's safe to CLOSE the THREAD but if people have more doubts, use the thread so that we can help.

Back