Desktop power supply woes ...

Off late my desktop refuses to switch on when pressing the power button.
So I used the good old re-discovered technique of removing the power mains cable from the SMPS socket, pressing the power on button and while the button is pressed, insert the power cord. Works every time.

The computer works perfectly, so I am ruling out any Power supply issues as such (The power supply is an extremely new, recently bought one) - Zebronics N450. (https://zebronics.com/products/economy-series: by the way what is the difference between the two power supplies mentioned on that page?)

Can someone help me with what is happening, why this weird behavior, and why the aforementioned modus-operandi works each time?

Off late my desktop refuses to switch on when pressing the power button.
So I used the good old re-discovered technique of removing the power mains cable from the SMPS socket, pressing the power on button and while the button is pressed, insert the power cord. Works every time.

The computer works perfectly, so I am ruling out any Power supply issues as such (The power supply is an extremely new, recently bought one) - Zebronics N450. (https://zebronics.com/products/economy-series: by the way what is the difference between the two power supplies mentioned on that page?)

Can someone help me with what is happening, why this weird behavior, and why the aforementioned modus-operandi works each time?
Check the electrician for earthing in the house you live and the socket to which you are connecting your PSU. While I was living in Hyderabad my PSU did not start and while using paper clip procedure it used to start so I took the help of an electrician who checked for earthing. After that socket which I connected my PC got earthing completed everything worked fine later on.

Check the electrician for earthing in the house you live and the socket to which you are connecting your PSU. While I was living in Hyderabad my PSU did not start and while using paper clip procedure it used to start so I took the help of an electrician who checked for earthing. After that socket which I connected my PC got earthing completed everything worked fine later on.
Thanks for the suggestion, but any idea why it functions well when I start the PC in the peculiar manner I described.

trouble shoot steps
1. Try connecting PSU direct to mains and see if it works normally?
also what is your hardware (to calculate wattage)

Thanks for the suggestion, but any idea why it functions well when I start the PC in the peculiar manner I described.
Maybe the cabinet power button is faulty or maybe the front panel connectors are at fault or maybe the power supply is faulty.
We have to crosscheck one by one by elimination process and find out which component is faulty.
PS: check if the motherboard is not touching the cabinet
Where it is getting shorted same issue might arise
Check this once also
Because it happened to me also once.

trouble shoot steps
1. Try connecting PSU direct to mains and see if it works normally?
also what is your hardware (to calculate wattage)
Old hardware from 2010-15 era:
G620 processor, 3 GB RAM
Gigabyte motherboard
1 DVD writer
500 GB Hard disk
Wifi antenna via USB
Wireless mouse via Bluetooth

no video cards, no sound card.

Issue resolved by replacing the motherboard (the damage was not repairable).
Unfortunately the new motherboard is extremely crappy compared with the Gigabyte stuff that I had: the onboard video has max resolution of 1025 x 768 resolution. And to exacerbate the situation - I (or rather we all) use wide screen displays these days, which means I see everything stretched.

Reminds me of 2005-10 era.

No plans to add any video card. At least the PC is functioning now.

PS: check if the motherboard is not touching the cabinet
Where it is getting shorted same issue might arise
Check this once also
Because it happened to me also once.
Oh dear, looks like I missed this point: perhaps the service center guy ripped me off by selling a new one. :(

I was very surprised to see this brand selling hard drives on Amazon.in. I can understand peripherals and maybe even motherboards, but HDDs? Most probably rebranded but no idea about their setup.

the onboard video has max resolution of 1025 x 768 resolution.
Unpossible. Pretty sure even the cheapest stuff 10 years ago could do better.You just need correct graphic drivers.
Win+ R > msinfo32 > Enter > components > display. What do you get ? Screenshot that.

Unpossible. Pretty sure even the cheapest stuff 10 years ago could do better.You just need correct graphic drivers.
Win+ R > msinfo32 > Enter > components > display. What do you get ? Screenshot that.
I use linux.

Anyway, I tested with my TV also and realized the catch.
The onboard video RAM's resolution is limited to 1024 x 768 on VGA.
But if I use HDMI I can get easily get 1080 widescreen resolution.
:)
All I need is HDMI to DVI-D convertor to use the motherboard with my monitor, the monitor doesn't support HDMI, and the Consistent motherboard doesn't have DVI.

which chipset?
I have Intel G620 which has LGA1155 socket.

Back