Disciple
Its an old desktop (5 years old) with the following specs
Operating system : Windows xp sp3
Processor : P4 3.0 Ghz
Ram : 512 mb ddr1
Motherboard chipset : 845
SATA 80GB hard drive
The problem
The cpu was running but the monitor (crt) was blank with the Button LED just blinking .I tried refitting the SATA cables of the hard drive and re-installing ram . It worked .The BIOS setup came up , Windows loading screen came up and then again it went blank ! . Tried it a few times same result .

funnily enough windows would boot correctly in safe mode !

I tried installing xp afresh after deleting all existing and creating new partitions. XP got installed correctly . But the problem persisted ... after the windows loading screen everything would go blank unless i booted in safe mode .
Its my old desktop and is only used infrequently by my parents , so i have no idea what might have caused the problem .

I think bad sectors in the hard drive might be the problem . Given it to a friend of my mine to check for the same .
what do you guys think ?

since the computer works fine in safe mode and also cpu is running.....I guess the problem lies in the video card or its drivers...install / reinstall / update them...u can boot in safe mode and see for yellow exclamation mark in device manager....

^^ If it is booting in safe mode it means its not an issue with your OS.

When you are in Safe mode try uninstalling and reinstalling all drivers.

Also run Chkdsk /r

Do let us know the results

:D

I think your OS working perfectly. But the fault is within your driver (video) that can't properly installed.
My suggestion u will try to run your OS in "last unknown configuration setting".

Back