Graphic Cards Desperately need Help!! Graphics Card not working!!

pretttt

Skilled
Hi guys,

after trying everything I could, I'm posting again about my graphics card. The damn thing is still not working.:mad::mad: I'm completely lost what to do!!:':)'(

I had earlier posted a thread about this. The problem was that sometimes my graphics card would simply stop giving display and the card fan would start running at full speed, making a loud noise. In that thread, I had concluded that the graphics card was defective.

But many things have happened since then. I sent the graphics card (4870), motherboard and the old 8600gt to the resp. service centers. To my surprise, all came back saying that they were working absolutely fine!! and exactly on the same day, my Corsair VX450 died!:mad: So, obviously I concluded this was the root of all problems and promptly sent that for RMA. Those guys also confirmed that it had died and gave me a brand new seal packed unit, which I collected last Saturday.

So now I thought all my problems are solved and reconnected the 4870 with the new VX450 and everything was workin fine..... for 1 day!!:mad: Then the same problem.

I even got a servicing guy to come upto my place and find out whats wrong. He just looked at my mobo, cpu and graphics card combo and said that its a very unbalanced config and that is causing the problem. I know its unbalanced (I'm between upgrades), but shouldnt it work still?

Now I have unplugged the 4870 and am using my old trusty 8600GT. Its working fine. But what am I to do with the 4870?? It just doesnt work on my system. The RMA people say its working fine in their place. Now it is just nicely packed and sitting on my table!!:mad::mad: Its been more than 2 months since I bought the card paying almost 10K and till now I've played maybe 1-2 weeks with it:':)cry:

naveen58 said:
check your 4870 on other PC based on Dragon Platform or Spider Platform & see.

hmm.. yea thats is the logical thing, but really none of my friends play games anymore and no one has a system like that. Any TE members in Bangalore mind helping me out with this?

You probably need an expert advice on that...

I dont think there is any relation between using such a high end card with that old proccy and mobo... But there could be since everything works fine with 8600GT card...

To me it mostly looks like the voltage demand of 4870 is high which your PSU is not able to provide...It alone wants like 135-140W. Thats why it keeps failing maybe...

Aladdin said:
To me it mostly looks like the voltage demand of 4870 is high which your PSU is not able to provide...It alone wants like 135-140W. Thats why it keeps failing maybe...
Seriously? A VX450 can't handle a HD4870?

Try testing the card on a friends pc and see if you get the same symptoms. Could be that the power supply isnt enough

+1 for VX450 .. i mean it might b more then enough for a 4870 but may b the kind of rig u have its just not enough .. as u say 8600 works just fine on ur pc but not 4870 .. am pretty sure its the psu in ur case .. !!

U need to switch to a powerful psu .. thats my advise !!

hey dude i would not mind helping you. PM for details ok
Thank You Sir! You are most kind. ygpm.

+1 for VX450 .. i mean it might b more then enough for a 4870 but may b the kind of rig u have its just not enough .. as u say 8600 works just fine on ur pc but not 4870 .. am pretty sure its the psu in ur case .. !!
U need to switch to a powerful psu .. thats my advise !!
Yea that is what is my suspicion too. But its really ironic, I bought the VX450 specifically because I knew I was gonna upgrade to a 4870 in the future. I had asked for advice in TE when I bought the PSU and this was what was most popular choice. I still hope this is enough and it is something else that is causing the problem. Otherwise, I'm even ok to buy something even more powerful like HX620 or whatever. But before that I need to make sure that this is the problem. No point spending even more money and then finding out that the same problem is still existing.

I dont think there is any relation between using such a high end card with that old proccy and mobo... But there could be since everything works fine with 8600GT card...
Like I said, I'm between upgrades and I will eventually be upgrading everything to Corei5 or AMD equivalent. I was planning to do this in Jan, but if required I'll do it now also. But again the same thing, I need to know before I spend the money that this will make the damn card work!

You probably need an expert advice on that...
That is why I'm asking it here :). Dont think u'll find people with more expertise.:hap2:

Since you want replies so badly...
OMGROFLTHATISSOFUNNY!!

Mate,

Corsair 450 VX has only one PCIE connecter, But 4870 requires 2 PCIE connecter's, So i assume you might have used a molex to 6 Pin PCIE adapter,

Have you made sure that you have connected it rightly,

Corsiar 450 VX can easily power an 4870 with your rig even if you upgrade to a quadcore , so there should be no issue with PSU, Just check all connecters are connected in a proper manner.

Try the card on other pc just to see if it is working properly . My friend has a 4850 with celeron d processor and 512 ram on 915 chipset yet it is working . Just check it on any other system with pci-e slot .

yea, I'm going to Soumalidon's place tomorrow with my entire system to find out what exactly is wrong. Hopefully, we'll find something conclusive....

Have you made sure that you have connected it rightly,
yea dude, I've checked all these multiple times. At first even I thought this could be the issue.

Ok guys, like I said, I took my entire system to Soumalidon's place today. Great guy and very helpful too! :hap2:
We tried running my card on his system, his GTS250 on my system and even my 4870 on my system. And guess what??!! it was working absolutely fine as if there was nothing wrong at all!!:S: We even tried out a few games Crysis, grid, farcry 2. Even OCCT GPU test for 10mins and it was working absolutely fine!

Now I have the system at my home and now its working fine here. But god only knows when that stupid problem might come back again. I really hope it doesnt. And if it does indeed come back, I wouldnt know what to blame it on!!

Anyways, thanks to Soumalidon once again for all the help.

Back