PC Peripherals Details on PSU Manufacturing process required

Saiyan

The L33t Admeen
Skilled
Hey Guys,

I'd like to know some details on how the power supply Units are manufactured by the major players in this field.

Like for example does Antec/Corsair outsource their manufacturing to the OEM companies like Delta or do they license the design from them and manufacture it in their own factory with few tweaks, etc..

While talking with respective company representatives i get different versions. So wanted to get this cleared out.

Post in your views and details. :)

Here is a good article - How to Discover Your Power Supply’s Real Manufacturer | Hardware Secrets

An excerpt:

We can separate power supply companies into three groups: the ones that design and manufacture their own products (the minority), the ones that design their own products but hire another company to manufacture the products for them, and the ones that use OEM products, i.e., another company designs and manufactures their products, but adding the label, box and manual from the contracting company. Almost all well-known manufacturers that aren’t originally from the power supply business fall in this last category.

Is this bad? Maybe. As the quality of the power supply will not depend on the labeled brand but on the real manufacturer, a given brand can provide a terrific product line on their original business (memory, cooling or whatever) but a different quality level for their power supply line. But we strongly believe that manufacturers will choose other manufacturers with the same quality level or they would get burned pretty quickly.

We can also have the funny situation of two different brands providing exactly the same power supply, as many original manufacturers are providing products to more than one brand. In some situations you can also find the same power supply on the market under the real manufacturer brand.

Here are two examples: XFX 750 W Black Edition is a relabeled Seasonic M12D 750 W, and SilverStone Element ST75EF is a relabeled Seventeam ST-750P-AF.

Everything will depend on the agreement between the two companies, as this agreement will say if the original manufacturer can or cannot sell their products to other companies or even sell them under their own brand. Sometimes they will agree that products picked to be manufactured under brand “X” will be exclusive, but other products can be sold to other companies. Sometimes the agreement will say that after “x” months the original manufacturer has the option to also sell the same product under their own brand or to sell it to other companies to be labeled under different brands.

Keep in mind that a company can buy power supplies from more than one source. If you find out that model ABC from brand MNO was manufactured by company XYZ, this does not necessary mean that all other models from MNO will also be from XYZ.

Cosrair, Antec,0CZ, etc dont make their PSUs, OEMs make them based on the platfroms created by the OEM for example corsair TX 650,750,850and XFX Core Edition Pro 750W etc are based on the same Seasonic platfrom, Corsair HX1050 1050W and Thermaltake Toughpower TP-1350M 1350W are both based on CWT PUC platform, Corsair AX750,850 are based Seasonic Xseries platfrom one exception that comes to mind is Corsair AX1200 which i belive Corsair developed and the manufacturing was done by Flextronics. Very few brands design and make their own PSUs one that comes to mind is Enermax who make their PSUs. OEMs do some times customise PSUs like changing fan [from brand A to brand B] capacitors [all Japanese ] etc but platfrom will essentially remain the same While most OEMs do sell PSUs under their own name like Seasonic,FSP etc their main Business is making PSUs for other companys. BTW i havent heard of any OEM that have licenced their platfroms to brands to be made by others

Back