CPU/Mobo DFI LP ut nF4 chipset fan

My DFI LP ut nF4 chipset fan (45mm) is making a lot of noise lately and it is very annoying. I would like to fix this.

What can I do? If replacement is the solution, then please suggest some. Please note that the 7800gtx has a AC NV silencer3 which comes right on top of the chipset fan.

Please help. Thanks.

Attachments

• VC-RF.jpg
    VC-RF.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 145
Where are you right now- USA or Mumbai?? :p

And which mobo? :S

Get the VC-RE; guaranteed fit on any DFI nF4 mobo.
You might have an issue with VC-RF and DFI nF4 users should try their best to get the VC-RE- cheap and good. :)
The Thermalright HR-05/SLi or the Enzotech SLF-1 iirc are the other options- but work out more expensive iirc- but they perform relatively better too.

Arihant at Lamington road officially import Evercool stuff and had the VC-RF for Rs.650/- iirc- check if they have the VC-RE too or can get it for you locally. :)

* Steps to remove stock chipset cooler *

Use the pc for atleast 15 mins under full load- run Orthos maybe or play Fear or something- to heat up the chipset.
Best if you can do this with mobo out of the case on a mobo box.

Switch off the wall socket, take out the plug, depress cabinet power switch few times to discharge the psu fully, disconnect psu and other connectors from the mobo and turn mobo around.
Also remove the RAM and/or the cpu cooler if you are using some huge thing or be very very careful.

Place one hand/fingers on the nF4 chipset cooler lightly with even pressure.
This is to ensure that when you get one push-pin free, the cooler doesn't rock/see-saw and chip the corner of the chipset core.

Now use a flat head or blunt tweezer, plastic one if you have, to press the legs of the push-pin so that they fall into the hole in the pcb and push it lightly through the hole.
Repeat with the other push-pin.
Be careful so as not to scrape the pcb or damage any tiny smd in the vicinity.

Once the push-pins are fully pushed though the back of the PCB, you may need to twist the chipset cooler to set it free.

You have to be very careful cleaning the bubblegum like remnants of the stock thermal pad off the core which solidify and harden over time.
Use only some cotton swab soaked in Isopropyl alcohol (IP) or tissue paper to scrub off the same.

Once clean and dry- apply Arctic Ceramique or AC MX-2 or some non-conductive thermal paste to the core, spread lightly and then mount the VC-RE (or any other suitable replacement cooler).
Position it over the chipset and lower it properly on the core, lining up the push pins and pushing them in one at a time or both together if u can manage to.
Keep the cooler pressed very lightly on the core to avoid the same risk as when unmounting.

Make sure you take the protective film off the base of the VC-RE and clean it with some tissue paper soaked in IP.
You may also prepare the base of the cooler with some thermal paste as mentioned on AS5 site. :)

Finally, do not forget to plug in the 3-pin fan connector into the right fan header on the mobo. :)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
diy-street has merged with OCC iirc and maybe that's why the guide and video tutorial by (Angry/Happy)_Games [now also known as (random_emotion)_Games] are not easily found.

Here are some links>

Evercool VC-RE Chipset Fan Installation Tutorial Video! (2 fast mirror - OverclockersClub Forums

Current DIY-Street Video Tutorials (updated 5/2/2006 Evercool VC-RE in - OverclockersClub Forums

A guide to disable LEDs on the VC-RE fan.
Evercool VC-RE Chipset Fan Mod Guide - OverclockersClub Forums

nice steps. thanks.

i finally managed it yesterday. i wanted to know a way without getting the motherboard out. but the way chipset fan is attached to the motherboard, there seems none. heard that this fan too makes noise over time.

Back