PC Peripherals Did I just fry my dad's PC?

My dad brought me his HCL desktop since it wasnt booting up. The HCL guys had diagnosed that the PSU was faulty. I picked up a box packed Cooler Master RS 380W(Extreme Power series,I suppose) which was lying with a friend to check the system up. Only the RAM and processor(an old P4) were connected.
Connected all the cables.Switched on the mains and bang it went in a veil of smoke. :O
What the hell exactly happened? Did the extreme power series live upto it's name? Also there's a sliding switch on the PSU to change the input voltage. It was set on 220V. Could this have caused the mishap?

nightwing892001 said:
My dad brought me his HCL desktop since it wasnt booting up. The HCL guys had diagnosed that the PSU was faulty. I picked up a box packed Cooler Master RS 380W(Extreme Power series,I suppose) which was lying with a friend to check the system up. Only the RAM and processor(an old P4) were connected.
Connected all the cables.Switched on the mains and bang it went in a veil of smoke. :O
What the hell exactly happened? Did the extreme power series live upto it's name? Also there's a sliding switch on the PSU to change the input voltage. It was set on 220V. Could this have caused the mishap?

Certainly NOT ! .

I was thinking the same since my other PSU that is powering my rig,a CM Real Power 450W too is set to that input voltage.

Somebody's going to get killed soon.:ashamed:

Robo:The PSU. That got smoked. Didnt get a chance to check the mobo.

i think there was a problem with that mobo and that killed the psu but it didnt blow , when u connected the cm psu , it got blown due to bad mobo .

^^ Yes true, it seems that only. Bad mobo should be the culprit.

@nightwing892001, I think you should let those HCL guys diagnose the problem. And don't tell them what you did :)

RoBoGhOsT said:
i think there was a problem with that mobo and that killed the psu but it didnt blow , when u connected the cm psu , it got blown due to bad mobo .

saqib_khan said:
^^ Yes true, it seems that only. Bad mobo should be the culprit.

@nightwing892001, I think you should let those HCL guys diagnose the problem. And don't tell them what you did :)
I thought the converse was true. The PSU blowing the mobo. This is the first time I am hearing of a bad mobo blowing a PSU.:huh:
Is there anyway of testing the motherboard that doesnt involve connecting it to a PSU and subsequently blowing it up?
saqib: The desktop is out of warranty and the HCL guys were quoting an insane amount for the PSU replacement.

see if there is any sign of burn on the motherboard , if not ,then try connecting real power to that rig if it has warranty :p

i doubt a new cm 380w can be so bad :S even generic smps never blow this way .

RoBoGhOsT said:
see if there is any sign of burn on the motherboard , if not ,then try connecting real power to that rig if it has warranty :p
i doubt a new cm 380w can be so bad :S even generic smps never blow this way .
LOL.If it blows that up too,how would I be able to post on TE telling you guys that I fried another one?:p

Here's a pic of the mobo after this mishap. Looks fine.No burn marks.

My office hcl comp had similar prob, it wont start so we gave it to hcl ppl and they fixed it , they said like mobo prob . .
Some years ago i fried my fren's comp it was dell and it had those switch behind the psu and i played with it and it went off with bang and smoke . . Had fried some capacitors and was fixed in rs 500 . .

Back