Did you know how dangerous sneezing can be ?

GrimReaper

Disciple
So we sneeze a couple of times a day .But did you know that it could cause grievous injurious to your body ?
I was really shocked after reading this particular article from an online news site . Check it out !

In the sliding scale of dangerous activities, Lauren Henshaw hardly rated sneezing as something to worry about.

That was until one day, two years ago, when the force of a sneeze caused a slipped disc in her back.

Yesterday, the Mail told the story of solicitor Victoria Kenny who was left bedridden for two years after being seriously injured while, er, watching television and sneezing.

Little wonder when you consider that scientists estimate the speed of a sneeze at 650mph (roughly 85 per cent of the speed of sound).

With this kind of rocket propulsion, injuries are bound to happen.

Read the whole article here .
Burst eardrums, broken backs, even death... the dangers of sneezing | Mail Online

And the next time you sneeze be careful !

Re: Did you know hoe dangerous sneezing can be ?

I sneeze a lot, and its not that I sneeze only once, I sneeze repeatedly on an average 5-7 times, and all at full blast.

This may sound funny, but since the time I have started using a nose hair trimmer, I have completely stopped sneezing. It's the Panasonic one on ebay.in, cost me around 350 bucks with coupons.

Mephistopheles said:
I sneeze a lot, and its not that I sneeze only once, I sneeze repeatedly on an average 5-7 times, and all at full blast.

Propulsion in 5-7 stages is pretty advanced technology iyam. I am only up to 3 usually :hap2:

Ragin_Ice said:
This may sound funny, but since the time I have started using a nose hair trimmer, I have completely stopped sneezing. It's the Panasonic one on ebay.in, cost me around 350 bucks with coupons.

Hmm...I use the same trimmer. Be careful with it.

I once got an ingrown hair in my nose (maybe I cut the hair too close), and man!! was it painful :mad: Stopped using the trimmer completely after that incident.

^Wow ingrown hair? I've had ingrown nails on the toe and it was bloody painful!

Ah well, if you stop a sneeze, THAT can be painful! I've seen some guys sneezes as if it sounds like a pistol with a silencer on it. Wonder how they manage to reduce the sound that way!

Panda sneezing anyone? :p

chiron said:
Propulsion in 5-7 stages is pretty advanced technology iyam. I am only up to 3 usually :hap2:

Im a more advanced superior specie than you :p

I just hope this "superiority" doesnt end up with me on a hospital bed with something or the other ruptured :(

Desecrator said:

Yeah, even I didnt know such a thing existed. I got a really painful pimple like thing inside the nose. Some googling around revealed to me that it was actually an ingrown hair that was causing the problem.

If google wasn't there I prolly would have called it a nose pimple :)

BTW have u guys noticed that holding ur nose tightly when u feel like sneezing (not at the moment of sneezing, but when u start to get that feeling), u can almost always stop the sneeze.

And also the huge variation in the way people sneeze - Some people sneeze with such less force that it doesn't even sound like a proper sneeze, while others pretty much spray paint the room when they sneeze :D

thetoxicmind said:
The Panda beat me to it. :lol:

Yeah..nobody messes with the Panda :eek:hyeah:

eggman said:
Sneeze and fart at the same time. You will fly!!!
:rofl:
arvnd said:
And also the huge variation in the way people sneeze - Some people sneeze with such less force that it doesn't even sound like a proper sneeze, while others pretty much spray paint the room when they sneeze :D

Yeah, that is pretty much me.

Desecrator said:
Its quite a common phenomenon . You could end up having ingrown hairs just by shaving the wrong way . Apart from being painful its unsightly especially when it occurs in the chin area .
Try a google image search .

Ah well, if you stop a sneeze, THAT can be painful!
Trying to stop a sneeze is dangerous too. The pressure built up will be redirected and you could end up with a burst ear drum !

wow so many people interested in sneezes.

I thought i was one of the cursed species trying to find way of earning from peoples sneezes :p.

Well sneeze is a physiological response of body to some foreign allergen in nose, there is nothing to worry about it.

But sometimes the frequency, force, amount, and position of your body is such that secondary injuries can happen to other organs like ear, hearing, respiration, tongue, jaw.

The injury described in original post is extremely (mind the word extemely) rare, there must be so many predisposing factors which can cause the slip disc.

The nose hair trimmer is the way to clean the unwanted hairs, otherwise you have to get one fine surgical scissors,.

But never ever pull those hairs, as it will cause tiny little amount bleeding in hairroot, which can cause pain, infection.

Mephistopheles said:

and i thought i was the only one with this strange habit/phenomenon :p

Mephistopheles said:

same here but only in dusty environment,u see i m allergic to dust.

Back