Didn't expect this from bliazzard

KingKrool

Skilled
Got this news from the front page of hardocp

The warden dumps all the DLL's using a ToolHelp API call. It reads information from every DLL loaded in the 'world of warcraft' executable process space. No big deal.

The warden then uses the GetWindowTextA function to read the window text in the titlebar of every window. These are windows that are not in the WoW process, but any program running on your computer. Now a Big Deal.

I watched the warden sniff down the email addresses of people I was communicating with on MSN, the URL of several websites that I had open at the time, and the names of all my running programs, including those that were minimized or in the toolbar. These strings can easily contain social security numbers or credit card numbers, for example, if I have Microsoft Excel or Quickbooks open w/ my personal finances at the time.

I watched warden open my email program, and even my PGP key manager. Again, I feel this is a fairly severe violation of privacy, but what can you do?
Read at:
http://www.rootkit.com/blog.php?newsid=358

:no: :no: :no: :no: :no:

Well i play WOW and i can say that it doesnt bother me. It doesnt seem as if it actually stores all your contacts..just checks to see if you have any cheat programs running. Besides who multitasks while gaming?? I personally close down all processes before i start a game.

Why does this bother you? It doesnt really Invade Privacy, its not like a Blizzard Official opens up you E-Mail account and check it.

Knowing blizzard, they will probably start crediting free money to all those accounts.

This is only their first attempt at an mmorpg and they completely topple sony's mighty everquest.
Best game developer ever!

UPDATE: The guy who wrote the article apparently also wrote a WoW cheat proggy....

but I am still worried because there is nothing to stop blizzard from sending the collected data to wherever they want. For one this program demonstrates how insecure the current windows software env is. We have often heard of the danger of rootkits, thankfully they have not really been made much yet.

Coming to think of it. If the WoW Server Database is hacked, the guy will get all your E-Mail ID's and stuff :O.

Good Luck Sir!

Back