CPU/Mobo difference between 2nd Gen and 1st Gen of Intel Core processors

all4music

Disciple
hi friends,

my friend was about place an order for Dell Inspiron with Intel Core i5 laptop. but while placing order he was informed that there is new 2nd Gen processors are available and pricing is around 5K costlier when compared to 1st Gen processors.

now i wanted to know is it worth spending extra 5k for the new Gen for processors. online searches did not help me decide it for him. please help us guys.

-som

^^

Intel Core i5 series in the first generation, do not have integrated graphics on CPU-die, while the second generation mobility Core i5's have this feature [onboard IGP].

For more on this, wiki is the way --

Arrandale - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia -- Arrandale [1st generation mobile processors]

Sandy Bridge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia -- Sandy-Bridge mobile processors [2nd generation processors].

Also improvements have been made in Turbo Boost features, also another feature that has been implemented is Hyper Threading, cache memory levels have been incremented, TDPs' are tighter. These are the major difference.

Hope this helps.

The main point is performance. The 2nd gen i5 is much better and faster and consumes lesser batter life compared to the 1st gen. So that is an easy pick, og with the 2nd gen i5. A must.

thanks Alpha17 and Vivek!! so it does look worth to spend 5K to go for 2nd Gen i5 processor. 'll ask my friend to go for it :)

And i forgot to mention that the IGP has been bumped up too. So now gaming at lower res with lower details is possible! And finally, QuickSync support.

ALPHA17 said:
^^

Intel Core i5 series in the first generation, do not have integrated graphics on CPU-die, while the second generation mobility Core i5's have this feature [onboard IGP].

For more on this, wiki is the way --

Arrandale - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia -- Arrandale [1st generation mobile processors]

Sandy Bridge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia -- Sandy-Bridge mobile processors [2nd generation processors].

Also improvements have been made in Turbo Boost features, also another feature that has been implemented is Hyper Threading, cache memory levels have been incremented, TDPs' are tighter. These are the major difference.

Hope this helps.

Actually the mobile i5 (first gen) are all dual cores & they have a IGP (Called intel HD Graphics), the i5 second gen ones have a considerably more robust IGP (HD 3000). In terms of performance the i5 second gen is around 10-20% faster clock for clock compared to the first gen ones. However while using Q-Sync, the second gen i5 is faster than any video transcoding solution out there.

However the additional turbo boost of the second gen i5 doesnot give much practical gains in performance than the previous gen i5 because the 2nd gen i5 mobile chips are clocked slightly lower than the comparable i5 from the previous gen

eg: the i5 2410m is clocked at 2.3ghz whereas the i5 460m is clocked at 2.45 ghz AFAICR

^^ I checked Sire, all Intel Core i5 M series processors are dual cores [with HT enabled], the second generation processor have a better HD graphics chip + more aggressive Turbo Boost binning and overall slightly trimmed TDPs' a win-win deal for me.

Back