Difference between learning the Digital Piano and the Digital Keyboard.

pradeep200417

Shunya
Adept
I have been wanting to learn the piano.
Now searching for this, I came across the digital keyboard. Sunny27 helped me out with his advice. (Been trying to PM him like crazy, but his inbox seems to be full since 1 week :))
Then i found this institute Keyboard-x from Guitar Hall, where they teach keyboard.

But i still have certain doubts.
Is learning the digital keyboard same as learning the digital piano.
The cost difference between these 2 instruments is pretty huge.
One obvious difference between the two are the number of keys.
The digital piano has 88keys while the digital keyboard has around 60 odd keys.

Can someone help me out with this?

They're essentially the same instrument, the pianos come with more octaves, a better (more powerful) synth, and maybe a few more voicings. The DGX300 I use also has a nice piano tone that comes close to (does not replicate) a baby grand, though it still sounds like a small upright that caught a cold.

There is also a nice pitch/bend controller on mine, though even some 5-octave instruments have that. The DGX300 is 6 octaves and a proper Grand Majestic is 7 1/4 octaves or therabouts. One can make a piano with any number of keys as long as they start and stop on a pure tone, but the favoured configs are obviously as close to whole or half octaves as possible.

cranky said:
They're essentially the same instrument, the pianos come with more octaves, a better (more powerful) synth, and maybe a few more voicings. The DGX300 I use also has a nice piano tone that comes close to (does not replicate) a baby grand, though it still sounds like a small upright that caught a cold.

There is also a nice pitch/bend controller on mine, though even some 5-octave instruments have that. The DGX300 is 6 octaves and a proper Grand Majestic is 7 1/4 octaves or therabouts. One can make a piano with any number of keys as long as they start and stop on a pure tone, but the favoured configs are obviously as close to whole or half octaves as possible.

So is learning the Keyboard same as learning the Piano?

pradeep200417 said:
So is learning the Keyboard same as learning the Piano?
No. But you can start learning anyone and after you have the basics covered you can move on to any and master that.

pradeep200417 said:
I cannot seem to find a teacher for piano in mumbai, though there are lots of guys teaching keyboard.
Piano is a costly affair, I can assure you that. Just learn Keyboard and try to learn Piano later if it interests you. You have any experience with other music instruments?

blkrb0t said:
Piano is a costly affair, I can assure you that. Just learn Keyboard and try to learn Piano later if it interests you. You have any experience with other music instruments?
Nope. No previous musical experience.

I have seen the price of the portable grand series from yamaha. costs around 40-50k.

No way i can afford the Acoustic ones. :p

So you suggest i start off with the keyboard??

pradeep200417 said:
Nope. No previous musical experience.

I have seen the price of the portable grand series from yamaha. costs around 40-50k.

No way i can afford the Acoustic ones. :p

So you suggest i start off with the keyboard??
Yes, start off with the Keyboard. Piano, even a digital one is very costly and the trainers don't come cheap too if you find them that is, most of them are involved with music production.

Get yourself enrolled in one of those Keyboard classes and get yourself a decent keyboard and you're set. I have a Yamaha PSR-E423, I am still a beginner and the Keyboard is quite good. It cost me ~16k, and I think it's the best within that budget and the best for a beginner/intermediate learner.

The biggest issue you will face with an acoustic piano is the feel of the keys. There is a feedback that is not present with the electronic ones due to the back pressure of the strings.

If you learn the piano first a keyboard comes much easier but the reverse is not always true.

The only thing that remains the same is the location of the notes, and you can learn notation and how they apply. Anyway you have to adjust hands for different pianos by a bit, whether they be an electronic instrument or not.

OTOH, acoustic pianos are a dying breed for anything except great recordings and virtuoso live performances. If that is your ambition, then you need to learn on a real one, cost regardless.

Start off by learning the electronic keyboard and then appear for the Royal School of Music/Trinity Music exams. Here you will learn how to read,write,compose and understand music. You will learn the meanings of various musical notations such as treble clef, minim,etc. During the music exams (practicals) you will be asked to play scales and other pieces on the piano (in the higher grades). Hearing and response tests are conducted on the piano. The exams meant for the electronic keyboard will make you proficient enough to play music on a piano - not everyone can afford a piano(cost and space being the major constraints) hence the exams are conducted for the electronic keyboard. If you are competent enough to play an electronic keyboard, you will have no difficulty in playing a piano.

@ OT-- I have sent you the required contact details by PM.

In practice ,Full digital keyboard benefits the group control of elevators, but makes the cost of system hardware increased. An economical elevator group control model with partial digital keypads is proposed.

zoradaly said:
In practice ,Full digital keyboard benefits the group control of elevators, but makes the cost of system hardware increased. An economical elevator group control model with partial digital keypads is proposed.

totally not understanding this sentence :|

Back