Monitors Digicams and LCD monitors to get cheaper

4dh1r

Adept
My friend saw this article in yesterday's economics times and called me up since he knew I was going to buy an LCD Monitor... I Googled the news and found the article here:
Digicams and LCD monitors to get cheaper
Here's a Gist:

A change in classification of gadgets and computer peripherals by the government will make digital cameras and LCD monitors cheaper by at least 10%. The finance ministry this week issued a circular, relenting to the long-pending demand of the IT industry, to classify LCD monitors as computer monitors (rather than TVs) and digital cameras as ‘still image cameras’ rather than video camcorders. It will bring down the Customs duty on these products from 10% to zero.

Companies have welcomed the move.

Samsung India may pass the benefits to consumers. “We are studying the impact and will be looking at passing benefits to end customers for these large-format display monitors,†Samsung India deputy managing director R Zutshi said.

LCD monitors were earlier classified as LCD TVs, which attracted a 10% Customs duty in contrast to LCD monitors which attract zero Customs duty.

Digital still image cameras with short-duration video recording facility were earlier being classified as ‘camcorders’. Camcorders attract 10% Customs duty in comparison to digital still image video camera which attracts zero Customs.

A 16% excise/CVD (countervailing duty), however, remains common across both products.

Companies, which were deducting Customs duty under a bond, will not see price cut. Those selling without a bond, may surely pass on the benefits.
Truly a "Diwali Bonanza" for all of us :clap:

(hopefully the prices reduce before Diwali :bleh: )
What do you guyz have to say? Should we wait for the price reduction? When will it happen? How much difference will be there in the prices?

Plz comment... :eek:hyeah:

hey bro, i doubt there will be any effect of such changes to the end customer, cause u know 10% firstly is miniscule, an then by diwali the prices would have anyways come down to a certain extent. The deal is if you need somethin buy it when ever u can afford it. Doesnt make sense to wait for 1 or 2k fall in prices in my opinion.

@nvidiabeast: dude raghu is already selling 22" dells @15k. Check out the hot deals section.

amityrock said:
hey bro, i doubt there will be any effect of such changes to the end customer, cause u know 10% firstly is miniscule, an then by diwali the prices would have anyways come down to a certain extent. The deal is if you need somethin buy it when ever u can afford it. Doesnt make sense to wait for 1 or 2k fall in prices in my opinion.

@nvidiabeast: dude raghu is already selling 22" dells @15k. Check out the hot deals section.
Nope 10% is not at all miniscule (try getting a 10% increment in your Salary :p )
Any fall in prices is welcome by a typical Indian customer... The import duty will fall from 26% to 16% and that'll make a decent price drop.
The deal by Raghu is indeed awesome. Bangalore guyz can take the most of of this deal, however for other locations shipping is a costly affair and for Mumbai guys 5.5% octroi is a killer!!!

And think abt it, by getting a reduction in duty, Dell will (most probably) reduce the price on LCDs too, which will ultimately lead to another GO with lower prices... :clap:

lol, that's too far away. I am waiting for some new models. LG released a good 22 incher (posted in some other thread). So, i am waiting...

^^^and i am looking for that much drop in the Dell 22incher from Raghu...so the price will be Rs. 13500 for a 22incher...sounds nice...:)

thebanik said:
^^^and i am looking for that much drop in the Dell 22incher from Raghu...so the price will be Rs. 13500 for a 22incher...sounds nice...:)

Well, they have reduced the price to 13900, but added CVD and other duties separately... That reduces the total price by around 1000 isn't it???

Back