Digital SLR Camera Buying Advice

hyperknight

Disciple
Hey guys, I've been waiting to make a switch over from point & click cameras to a SLR. I've narrowed it down to two choices for an entry level SLR between the Cannon XS 10.1MP (released in 08 i think) vs Nikon D3100 14.1MP (released Sep 2010).

Now my main concern was the difference between Nikon & Cannon in the SLR segment. I havent found any unbiased opinions online, and generally seen that the those who use one, stick to it and cant change over to the other. I just wanna know the difference between the two, if anybody really knows.

Also, would anybody know where to pick one up in Mumbai? Croma might be a bit more expensive than market prices, so I wanted to know where could I see these cameras and get a feel of how they are.

I've waiting to make a switch over to SLR for a while now, and with a vacation coming up in Jan (east africa for safaris =D) i'm finally shelling out my savings and taking the plunge.

I know the features of the two cameras thru reviews etc. What im lookin for is an actual Nikon users opinions/facts of ease of use etc vs that of a cannon users'

Canon 1000D vs Nikon D3100..

Rather than saying the advantages of the D3100, it'd be easier to list its downsides compared to the 1000D..
* Costlier (but well worth the extra paid for)
* No cheap prime lenses.
* No AEB & DOF Preview.

If these don't matter to you much, then go for the D3100.. D3100 is a much better camera than the 1000D..

Check by holding them both, Nikon is bit heavier but the build is awesome! the kit lens they give is also real nice..! on the other hand with canon you will have no problem while selecting lenses like AF motor confusion and above that i feel canon service in india is kinda better than nikon(my personal opinion, I might be wrong).

All in all, if you're going build wise then nikon is the way to go/ other aspects are favoring canon though.

Just wanting to point out that on a Safari, the kit lens that is bundled with the DSLR is woefully inadequate to capture any wildlife.

For that a 55-250mm or 70-300mm lens is a minimum required. That will set you back by at least another 11k.

If your budget is around 30k or so then get the Canon 1000D with kit lens + Canon 55-250mm IS lens.

Total will be around 32k - 33k.

good god 11k for telephoto lens? T_T I was hoping to buy the body only & then telephoto lens along with my camera. dont have any use for the standard lens, as its good mainly for portraits.

I'm gonna have to reconsider my choice then. Also, can someone tell me where exactly can i get SLR cameras in mumbai? I'm a little hesitant buying it off amazon.

Get the canon 1000D with a good walk around lens like 18-200. for safari's i recommend that.

unless ur fine with the 70-300/55-250, then 1000D + 55-250. 1000D got AF, D3100 doesnt

Actually for Safaris the Canon 100-400mm L lens is the best in the category.

It will set you back by around 90k. :p

Do note that SLRs is a VERY expensive hobby and you can burn a real big hole in your pocket if you like using them.

Maybe in your case it is better to go for a superzoom camera as that will be cheaper and have much better reach compared to an SLR.

Even the 55-250mm IS lens I mentioned above is not long enough for safari photographs. :(

m-jeri said:
Get the canon 1000D with a good walk around lens like 18-200. for safari's i recommend that.

unless ur fine with the 70-300/55-250, then 1000D + 55-250. 1000D got AF, D3100 doesnt

18-200 lens are expensive the Canon 18-200 IS lens is for 40k if I am not mistaken. And D3100 does not have an AF motor on the body, it surely can AF. The difference being, you cannot use the cheap Prime lens on the Nikons. I would suggest to get the cheaper 1000D body and 18-55 IS lens, and later on buy the 55-250 lens, the gear should serve fine for beginners (I am using the same camera, and it keeps surprising me).

Brendon: Do the competitors have any serious competition to the Canon L glass? If price is not a constraint...

Aces170 said:
18-200 lens are expensive the Canon 18-200 IS lens is for 40k if I am not mistaken. And D3100 does not have an AF motor on the body, it surely can AF. The difference being, you cannot use the cheap Prime lens on the Nikons. I would suggest to get the cheaper 1000D body and 18-55 IS lens, and later on buy the 55-250 lens, the gear should serve fine for beginners (I am using the same camera, and it keeps surprising me).

Brendon: Do the competitors have any serious competition to the Canon L glass? If price is not a constraint...

I agree the lens is expensive. where did i say its not. even a used one costs ~20k.. atleast thats what i found.. :S. some tamron one.

And abt AF, Thght D3100 can only AF with lens-in-built motor.which is expensive-er than normal ones.

^^ Almost all new Nikon lens come built with an AF motor, except for the cheaper prime lens.

WRT to 18-200 lens, apart from saving baggage space, I am not a big fan of the lens. I would always prefer the 70-200 f2.8 lens (The Tamron one cost 40k odd). But as Brendon said 200mm focal length is not gonna be enough for Safari...

^^ That makes a difference only for a few existing lenses but a lot of older prime and zoom lenses.

So if someone gets used lenses chances are they wont work with the D3100. If someone buys only new lenses or sparingly used lenses then chances are that baring a few exceptions like the Nikon 50mm f1.8, all new Nikon lenses will AF with the D3100.

Going out on a safari with a DSLR fitted with a 18-55mm kit lens is not a good idea IMO.. My suggestion would be to go for a D3100 or 1000D body only (as per your budget constraints and requirements) & add in a flexible lens like the Sigma 18-200mm OS (not much pricey at around 16.5K). Of course a lens with that much of focal length range is a trade off with image quality, but it will turn out to be a much better option out in the open than a 18-55mm lens or a 50mm prime.

^^ That lens costs 25k !!! :p

@ OP - Its best to stick with a good superzoom instead of a DSLR.

The Panasonic FZ40 should cost you around 23 - 25k and its IQ is pretty decent.

If you get a superzoom lens like a 18-200mm or so chances are the Panasonic will have close to the IQ offered except for high ISO shots where the DSLR will win hands down.

Unfortunately D3100 is NOT compatible with all previous Nikon lenses. Its been explicitly stated on the amazon page. Bummer. I'm considering the 55-250 lens. I know it may not be long enough for safaris, but I'm definitely not shelling 30k on a super-telephoto lens. plus im an amateur who's never used an SLR. gotta get familiar with my purchase & then look towards other getting another lens. I dont wanna get into SLR photography too much, mainly because I wont be able to afford it :S

Back