Dilemma = ADSL Modem + Router or ADSL Router

dinjo

Hell Yeah[Born Critic]
Skilled
After trying out Dlink 2750 and Tp Link 8968 (only used for short time) seems like there are no good ADSL Modem router out there most seems to be having issues especially if they are running for few days and when you use wifi a lot and usually results into reboot or internet disconnection.

I still remember those days when those old MTNL modem use to keep running in all the dust never had to power it off and gave no problems at all are there any good ADSL Routers which are available within 5k ? Or is it time to get a Modem and Router though i know its the best setup but the no of wires it leads is what i wanted to avoid.

@BIKeINSTEIN
How is Asus DSL-N12U and ASUS DSL N10E ?

Last edited:
a DSL modem and a separate wifi router is always the best choice. my RT-N16 is running flawlessly for the past 4 years (2 yrs with tomatousb rom) almost 24x7, but in the meantime I have gone through 3 DSL modems first a beetel, then a dlink and now a zyxel one. and i live just 2kms from the airtel exchange.

_

After trying out Dlink 2750 and Tp Link 8968 (only used for short time) seems like there are no good ADSL Modem router out there most seems to be having issues especially if they are running for few days and when you use wifi a lot and usually results into reboot or internet disconnection.

I still remember those days when those old MTNL modem use to keep running in all the dust never had to power it off and gave no problems at all are there any good ADSL Routers which are available within 5k ? Or is it time to get a Modem and Router though i know its the best setup but the no of wires it leads is what i wanted to avoid.

@BIKeINSTEIN
How is Asus DSL-N12U and ASUS DSL N10E ?
Which one do you want to try?
My friends runs a DSL-N10 (not DSL-N10E) running 24x7. I have a really old DSL-N12U running 24x7. :)

... seems like there are no good ADSL Modem router out there most seems to be having issues especially if they are running for few days and when you use wifi a lot and usually results into reboot or internet disconnection.

there are a plenty of good modem-routers... esp the unpopular ones. i've been using one Netgear ADSL2+ modem-router non stop for more than a year, without any issues.

Which one do you want to try?
My friends runs a DSL-N10 (not DSL-N10E) running 24x7. I have a really old DSL-N12U running 24x7. :)
I actually want to purchase :) though trying wont hurt ;-) And are there any more ADSL routers ?

My concern is most people say they keep there routers on 24X7 but the real test comes when you start using wifi aggressively that's when most routers fail

Going a bit offtopic, I'm too using W8968. What problems are you facing? I keep my internet on from 11AM in morning to 2-3 AM next day morning.

a DSL modem and a separate wifi router is always the best choice. my RT-N16 is running flawlessly for the past 4 years (2 yrs with tomatousb rom) almost 24x7, but in the meantime I have gone through 3 DSL modems first a beetel, then a dlink and now a zyxel one. and i live just 2kms from the airtel exchange.
This is what i advocate but people don't like paying 1k extra. modems do not last. why to get rid of the perfectly functioning wifi as well.

OP's post is a bit vague as to what the problem is ? CAN you be more clear dude !

Is it the modem or the wifi ? and what does 'using wifi a lot' mean. wifi is on all the time or is he downloading a lot over wifi. This i've never done. downloading is over wired connections and there is no problem whatsoever with this setup. So does that means if downloading were done through ethernet rather than wifi with a adsl wifi router then there is no problem ? cos i can leave my modem+wifi combo like that and forget about it.

I just ordered the post, using wifi aggressively is not turning on but actually streaming movies
@krishnandu - Everything looked good for 3 days of usages 24X7 continuous streaming in the day but the problem starting coming up after 3 days maybe your switching it off , routers are not meant to be switched off.

OP's post is a bit vague as to what the problem is ? CAN you be more clear dude !

Is it the modem or the wifi ? and what does 'using wifi a lot' mean.

My concern is most people say they keep there routers on 24X7 but the real test comes when you start using wifi aggressively that's when most routers fail

@DigitalDude
Which is the model no for the modem ? Also how do you manage all the wires ?

Last edited:
My experience with a DSL BSNL Modem(Teracom) + Iball wireless modem has been flawless. No major hiccups since last 6 months. When i was using adsl2+wireless modem inbuilt, it was having problems.

@srkmish
My biggest problem is managing the wires I'll try and fix my pc backside to have proper cable management then I can put modem and router and I agree modem + router is best combo , not sure which modem should i go for plan to go for a cheap one any recommendation ?

I just ordered the post, using wifi aggressively is not turning on but actually streaming movies
@krishnandu - Everything looked good for 3 days of usages 24X7 continuous streaming in the day but the problem starting coming up after 3 days maybe your switching it off , routers are not meant to be switched off.
here's is what i could comprehend from the above..

streaming movies continoulsy over wifi for more than 3 days in a row results in problems ie reboot or internet disconnection.

Strikes me as a heating issue. Find a way to cool it. You might have to improvise with custom mods. The device you have is not suitable for the ambient temperature that you run it in.

here's is what i could comprehend from the above..

streaming movies continoulsy over wifi for more than 3 days in a row results in problems ie reboot or internet disconnection.

Strikes me as a heating issue. Find a way to cool it. You might have to improvise with custom mods. The device you have is not suitable for the ambient temperature that you run it in.

That's right.

You are right but partially. The reason is already explained by @blr_p

Routers are not meant to be switched off, but those are enterprise routers, they are equipped with load balancing and other functionalities which enables to stay them online 24x7x365.

But yours one is not that. None of the home routers are meant to be on for that much time. A whole day is fine, but continuously 2-3 days, absolutely not. The router will be overheat and stop functioning, even network will be jammed, as you said WiFi will start creating problems.

What you have in mind are totally different range of products. I can't say surely but I don't think that purpose of yours will even be solved by a router of 5k.

@krishnandu It depends on the router. Most need to be restarted within a few days, but some can keep chugging on 24x7 for months. A good spot with good ventilation is all thats needed.

WlpPBnw.png

@krishnandu - No if your router is required to be re-started after 3-4 days its not a great one , as mentioned by @vivek.krishnan most routers can run continuously infact when i had RT N13U it used to run continuously for a month.

Anyways I've decided that I'll go with modem + router combo but I'm looking for Gigabit router only i saw RT N15U seems like its N13U with Gigabit and good looks the only concerned part for me is its wifi since it has internal antenna and since it had vertical stand attaching the cable would be a pain in the ass RT N16U looks very good but seems like its a old product after which several new models were introduced.

@BIKeINSTEIN - Any issues with N15U ? Looking only for Gigabit Routers

And anyone can recommend which modem should i get ?

http://www.flipkart.com/d-link-dsl-...odem&ref=8d0384aa-4158-43ae-8dc0-1834529b8b99
http://www.flipkart.com/tp-link-td-...odem&ref=a999d870-d5cf-403c-afa0-5140c137b6b6

Last edited:
@krishnandu It depends on the router. Most need to be restarted within a few days, but some can keep chugging on 24x7 for months. A good spot with good ventilation is all thats needed.

WlpPBnw.png
@krishnandu - No if your router is required to be re-started after 3-4 days its not a great one , as mentioned by @vivek.krishnan most routers can run continuously infact when i had RT N13U it used to run continuously for a month.

Anyways I've decided that I'll go with modem + router combo but I'm looking for Gigabit router only i saw RT N15U seems like its N13U with Gigabit and good looks the only concerned part for me is its wifi since it has internal antenna and since it had vertical stand attaching the cable would be a pain in the ass RT N16U looks very good but seems like its a old product after which several new models were introduced.

Well thanks for correcting then :) I didn't knew, even 3-4k routers are meant to be up and running for 24x7. What about network congestion? These routers are equipped with the required functionalities to take care all that things?

Only routers are very good in handling the congestion however its advisable to reboot the router once every month , the stock firmware usuallly dont give you much freedom but custom firmware like DDWRT, OpenWRT and Tomato allows better control on your router from managing congestion to running at lower power rate.

@DigitalDude
Which is the model no for the modem ? Also how do you manage all the wires ?
I recently got a Zyxel P-660R-Tx v3s ADSL modem (this one http://www.zyxel.com/in/en/products_services/p_660r_tx_v3s_series.shtml?t=p) from a local vendor as per the recommendation of the airtel technician.
my setup is on a rack safely tucked away in one of the shelves in the hall, I run a lan cable from my PC in my bedroom to the router setup.
USyPPzD.jpg

below the ADSL modem is my transcend hdd case with a 500gb drive .. it has a fan that is pointing below. i'm now planning to add a USB fan vertically placed to right of the rt-n16 wifi router in that small gap.

and yeah I'm not a heavy wifi user. my PC, the ipcam and even the TV are connected to the rt-n16 via lan only. I use wifi mostly for mobiles and laptops not for heavy media streaming.

_

Thanks @DigitalDude how much did the modem cost you ?

I'm planning to get a Gigabit Router and modem for my MTNL connection wanted to keep the modem and router seperate to avoid any disconnection so took this route , I'm looked around and since my love for Asus Router is on higher side i see Asus RT N15U and Asus RT N16U , and it seems RT15U is nothing but N13U with gigabit and great looks only concern for me being the vertical stand and connection LAN cables to it.RT N16 have DD WRT router but it seems a quite a old router now but still kicking ass against the older model , also there is TP Link WDR 4300 750 which i dont have much info on

For modem i see TP Link 8817 , DLink DSL-2520U or something else should i look for multiple Ethernet port in modem or just 1 would be ok ?

@dinjo N15 should have tomato support since its based on a Broadcom chipset. Would suggest to get to ASUS and test the routers. As for modem, one port is all thats needed

@DigitalDude I have a similar setup, I liked the idea of the rack - shall buy one ASAP.

Back