Disadvantages of Non-VAT paid Bill?

knoughtyd

Skilled
My friend today got a WD 1.5TB 64MB HDD for Rs.5275 but I was puzzled since I thought the 1.5TBs where retailing for about 5.5k:S its then He said that He didn't ask for a VAT Paid bill and instead got a written bill from the shop with full warranty of 5years :p

So I wanted to know whether there would be any disadvantages in the future,other than not giving money to the govt via the tax? If not then cant any consumer just ask for a non-vat paid bill and easily save about 1k or so on a decent configuration of about 30k:S(considering VAT=4%)

@Mods I didnt knew where to post it but since this purschase included HDD, so though of posting it here:)

way to go. cheat the government and the people of india. and do it with pride. bravo.

knoughtyd said:
My friend today got a WD 1.5TB 64MB HDD for Rs.5275 but I was puzzled since I thought the 1.5TBs where retailing for about 5.5k:S its then He said that He didn't ask for a VAT Paid bill and instead got a written bill from the shop with full warranty of 5years :p

So I wanted to know whether there would be any disadvantages in the future,other than not giving money to the govt via the tax? If not then cant any consumer just ask for a non-vat paid bill and easily save about 1k or so on a decent configuration of about 30k:S(considering VAT=4%)

@Mods I didnt knew where to post it but since this purschase included HDD, so though of posting it here:)

knoughtyd said:

First from today vat have been increased to 5% from 4%

Second Wd doesnt need bill

Third its personal choice...Though u may save few buks but for stuff where u need bill u can get screwed also ...

knoughtyd said:

don't you see the ads where they say ask for a tax paid bill??????
you didn't know that all the shops doing this are not legally allowed to do it???????
you do know that the shopkeeper can face severe consequences for doing this if complained by a customer????????

btw, i just looked at OP's avatar and siggy (tricolor fingerprint) and had a VERY NICE CHUCKLE to myself :D

(i dont mean to be too judgemental though)

^^ lol ya....you should pay service tax also then when u got to the salon which cuts hair for 40-50 bucks. One way or the other we all evade some tax or the other sometime :p and most times knowingly :p

Hire a car for a trip from your known cabbie source, do we pay ST to him :rofl:

The state Govts (esp Marathi Manoo gov :p) is minting money into their pockets because of Octroi , VAT and what not :p

Price is Rs 100/-...import duty is Rs 22.....vat is 5%----Rs 5....octroi (in some places)----- Rs 3-4

So finally 30% taxes which was there in vogue in kingdom era.....and oh ya that is after u pay income tax of arnd 20%

So u earn Rs 100....get Rs 80 on that again if u buy things 30% tax

So ur Rs 100 gices u Rs 100- 20 - 30% of 80 = 100-20-24= Rs 56.

You get to spend only 50% of your income :D:D

This is called imperialism by Govt :D

And ya still we have huge FISCAL Deficit :D

thats exactly why i would support (and vote for) any govt plans to "widen the tax net"... these low level bastids who evade tax (hair cutters, taxi drivers, small shop owners etc) whether or not with our (the buyers' blessings/insistence) need to PAY dammit!

for example, the same way the govt cuts tax "at source" for profressionals (salaried) folks they should really apply tax "at source" (right at the factory/distributor level) so that even these small time crooks cant get away with it :D

(and yes, if you sense some bitterness about the fact that i have to pay tax from my salary while others merrily evade it, you're not wrong heh - but i really do feel the sense of duty too)

Why still the fiscal deficit ?

You know what we pay taxes in India not for development but to feed the ministers and the lower income sections. Thats the worst part of living in a developing economy

yes, i too get depressed thinking about this. but outlook seems bright with younger gen govt workers/ministers... i personally want to see what improves in the next 5-10 yrs else i will start posting in that "easiest country to migrate to" thread haha :)

edit:

today i get annoyed thinking about those numbers and also simple things like i work hard, earn money, pay taxes in so many forms yet i DO NOT get smooth pothole-free roads to drive my car. no electricity to run my PC just to check emails forget doing things like number-crunching for WCG/Folding etc. no water to take a bath in the morning to avoid stinking the rest of the day.

if these basic things (let the bastid ministers eat as much money as they want) dont improve in 5-10 years then, like i said, where's that emigration thread :D

(dont forget, even in the top countries in the world (see USA) your top officials (see Bush, Clinton families) are minting money in the name of business deals (sure they're NOT corrupt) with their oil deals, finance deals, medical lobby gifts/donations etc... its just a matter of perspective...)

+1. I used to support all the reciepts and bills to pay tax n stuff, but after seeing how the govt is only interested in taking money for their own good and hardly doing anything back, no decent roads to travel, no good public health care, I have lost faith in the tax system.

The ideal disadvangates of not paying tax is that the govt can't pay back the society, can't help the needy etc. The actual disadvangage is that they have a little less money in their pocket to blow at their son's marriage and on their fancy houses and cars and pay up all the 'extra curricular' activities!

Being a responsible citizen I would like to pay the taxes time to time which will help in the development and progress of my country. It is also for all the benefits and freedom that I enjoy.

vishalrao said:
btw, i just looked at OP's avatar and siggy (tricolor fingerprint) and had a VERY NICE CHUCKLE to myself :D

(i dont mean to be too judgemental though)

err.. I guess You got me wrong there:p Its My friend who got the stuff without paying VAT and not me:no:

I posted it here because when he told me this, I had warned him that He might get into some serious trouble later on(though i didnt know what trouble) for having a Non-VAT paid bill but He said that the shop owner had given full assurance that there would be no trouble what so ever and He doesn't have to worry and this left me puzzled because I always thought unless You have a proper bill(which i always make sure i get it), you might get into trouble.

So I wanted to know from here whether aren't there any rules or anything for not having a VAT paid bill:S

knoughtyd said:
err.. I guess You got me wrong there:p Its My friend who got the stuff without paying VAT and not me:no:

haha i see ok... then you can continue to "wear" your avatar and siggy with pride i guess :D

yes, i do hope the govt tightens its methods (like the recent paypal stuff) to ensnare all the low-level tax evaders too... its not just the big corporate/business tax evaders they should go after :)

the wider the the "tax net" it actually means you and i pay less tax without burdening govt revenue collection and they can pretend to try to provide us with the basic amenities/infrastructure/services to which we're entitled.

ani_meher said:
+1. I used to support all the reciepts and bills to pay tax n stuff, but after seeing how the govt is only interested in taking money for their own good and hardly doing anything back, no decent roads to travel, no good public health care, I have lost faith in the tax system.

The ideal disadvangates of not paying tax is that the govt can't pay back the society, can't help the needy etc. The actual disadvangage is that they have a little less money in their pocket to blow at their son's marriage and on their fancy houses and cars and pay up all the 'extra curricular' activities!

Till you can't do something about it, or start your own country where things are run idealistically, why don't you stuff it? Because b1tching about the deplorable condition of roads and public health care is not going to help TE or anyone in any way. It's like stating the obvious - we all live in the same country, but there's little that can be done - it's the system...

^OP You might have trouble proving up things without a pucca bill, that includes tax paid and is on the shops letter head. Personally I think saving a measly 200 bucks for a HDD is not worth it, but whatever rolls your friend's rocks...

One advantage of VAT is supposed to be that it is not easy to evade it. For one to evade VAT, it has to be evaded at every stage---from raw material to manufacturer to distributor to customer.

The HDD is probably smuggled---ask your friend to check on WD website for warranty.

The net is expanded....why VAT has been raised to 5% :p

As we want education for all....so we need more money I guess. Any MP/MLA under whose consitituency if there are more than 100 illiterates after say 5 yrs of the bill should be hanged !

(dont forget, even in the top countries in the world (see USA) your top officials (see Bush, Clinton families) are minting money in the name of business deals (sure they're NOT corrupt) with their oil deals, finance deals, medical lobby gifts/donations etc... its just a matter of perspective...)

LOL but why Indian politicians are so cheap .....so "dehati" tell me . At least 90% of them ...why ? Do you think what the MPs do in parliament live , what will happen if they do the same in US :rofl: or anywhere even Pakistan !

Back