Graphic Cards Display artifacts right at bootup

bodka

Disciple
Folks,

I see display artifacts right when the system is POSTing. When I reset the system, the artifacts go away at bootup. Upon entering windows, system is stable for few minutes.

There after, there are artifacts again and system freezes up. I have under clocked DDR2 mem to 400 MHz and CPU to 2.4 GHz (QX9650 @ 3.0 GHz).

When I underclocked GPU severely, the system is stable for few more minutes. When I start Fur mark, after some time, system freezes up.

I would like to know if this is a PSU or GPU issue.

PSU : Antec Neo HE 500W

GPU : 8800GT

I am unable to test out my card in another system as none of my friends system is suitable for this ( no PCIE 6pin connecter )

Thanks.

Mostly likely a GPU issue... Check the system on some other PSU, just to make sure that PSU isnt the problem area, which I think would not be the case

My mobo does not have on board video :(

Another thing I noticed. Some times when I manage to get into windows without artifacts, the device manager says that the video card has stopped working. The resolution is very low. But in this state, the system is stable without any artifacts!

I also tried underclocking video RAM and ran furmark. System freezes even then with artifacts.

Do you have the case speaker attached on the mobo?If yes,do you hear any beep?Post your whole system specs.And whats the brand name of 8800 gt?Did you get it 2nd hand or brand new?

anaghdesai said:
There wont be a beep if the card is displaying. The artifacts is a sure sign of corrupt memory banks.
Sometimes it's not just one thing that's responsible for such kind of failure.But in most cases it's the overheating of the memory blocks.

System Specs:

Antec Neo HE 500W

XFX 8800GT ( > 3 yrs old ) . New at time of purchase

2x2 GB GB OCZ PC 8500 @ 800 MHz

QX9650 @ 2.93 GHz

Asus DW DH deluexe MB

How can Video memory overheat right at POST?

I have no case speaker.

The case speaker should come with the cabinet while you bought it.its should look like this:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Try removing the GFX card and just use the default VGA port on your mobo IO,and try ruining furmark again.And post the CPU and HDD temps too.

I know that your card has gone Kaput for 60-70%,selling it or sending it for RMA as soon as possible is definitely a good idea,but for the sake of cross checking sometimes troubleshooting is necessary.

THanks for the detailed pic.

I have stacker 830. I have not seen the case speaker as such. Also I do not have video output on mobo.

But let me see if I can plug in a case speaker from another system that I have.

Back