Display problem after Windows boots up

vader

Disciple
Here's the problem I have faced/am facing. I have tried several websites and seem to be unable to fix the problem. I do have a workaround, but the fact that I can't even seem to understand the cause, let alone fix it, is driving me nuts. Wondering if someone can throw more light.

Summary:
During Windows XP bootup when it tries to switch monitor frequencies (just before the mouse pointer shows up on a black screen), the monitor goes into standby and about 2 minutes later the computer reboots. I can only boot into Window in VGA mode. Occasionally, can boot into Last Known Good Configuration on a fresh install.
Preceding events:
Windows XP was running on this machine and I decided to reinstall XP to move it to a larger hard disk and get rid of old programs that I couldn't uninstall. No changes were made to the hardware during the reinstall other than adding a new hard disk (i.e. no RAM, mobo, graphics card, etc. were changed). The install was a clean install -- create partition, format partition, etc.

Observations:
1. Installation of XP goes along totally fine. The problem seems to occur right after I upgrade XP to support USB2.0 on my A7N8X-Deluxe mobo (see end of mail for config). If I don't install USB2.0 support and don't install SP2 then all seems to work (didn't try too long in this state).

2. Problem also seems to occur after I install video drivers and bump up the display resolution to 1280x1024. Once the problem occurs, the only time it doesn't occur is if booting to VGA mode.

3. Identical problem with 3 video cards (of varying ages and memory configs: ranging from 16MB to 128MB!)

4. Windows 2000 on the IDENTICAL hardware config runs fine with all video drivers installed and at 1280x1024x32bit resolution. (that's what I am running now!)

Potential causes investigated:
1. Bad card: tried with several cards (Nvidia Vanta 16MB, MX440 32MB, FX5200 128MB). All of them show the same problem.

2. Bad installation: I have reinstalled Windows XP from scratch about 4 times in the last 3 weeks. Identical problem each time. All installation has been done off the network to eliminate viruses, etc.

3. Bad monitor: Haven't tested with alternate monitor. But, as mentioned earlier, identical configuration works fine with Windows 2k. I have tried fiddling with the monitor frequencies and the display resolutions to ensure that the card is not over-driving the monitor. Can't seem to get rid of the problem!

Config:
A7N8X-Deluxe Rev 2.0 motherboard
Iiyama A901HT monitor (purchased in 1999!)
XFX FX5200 128 MB AGP card (also tried NVidia Vanta PCI 16MB, MX440 AGP 32MB)
Boot disk Maxtor 20MB

Back