DIY Car Stereo to Home Stereo/Theater

FPS

Disciple
I have a Sony car stereo and speakers that are currently unused and sitting at home. I would like to utilize them by connecting them to my PC or TV for an enhanced audio experience.

I have two sets of speakers - 2x 3-way speakers and 2x smaller (I think called) tweeters, which were used separately in different cars. My plan is to install combo of (one 3-way speaker and one tweeter) in individual wooden boxes, possibly incorporating the stereo into one of the speaker boxes or housing it separately.

I'm considering using a cheap PC power supply unit as a power source for this setup. If anyone has experience with this or knows of a reliable source for wooden or MDF boxes in the NCR region, please do share your insights. I approached a stereo repair shop for guidance, but the technician was more interested in selling me a used home theater system instead of providing advice.

Has anyone attempted a similar project? I would greatly appreciate any guidance or advice on how to proceed with this setup.

TIA

A couple of things to keep in mind.

The stereo head unit is most probably a 12V unit. So you'd need a 12V supply for it. Till you actually post pics of it it's impossible to tell what it's capable of.
You can't just take speaker drivers and put them in a cabinet and expect them to work at their potential. An enclosure is usually designed based on the T/S specs of the driver.

When I built my own speakers I got MDF cut on a CNC machine and then put them together. Why the CNC? because none of the carpenters that I approached showed any confidence in cutting panels based on measurements in millimeters and I wanted to maximize the amount of panels I could get out of an 8x4 sheet

A couple of things to keep in mind.

The stereo head unit is most probably a 12V unit. So you'd need a 12V supply for it. Till you actually post pics of it it's impossible to tell what it's capable of.
You can't just take speaker drivers and put them in a cabinet and expect them to work at their potential. An enclosure is usually designed based on the T/S specs of the driver.

When I built my own speakers I got MDF cut on a CNC machine and then put them together. Why the CNC? because none of the carpenters that I approached showed any confidence in cutting panels based on measurements in millimeters and I wanted to maximize the amount of panels I could get out of an 8x4 sheet
Link and images from internet:

Attachments

• Sony CDX A250.jpg
    Sony CDX A250.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 10
  • sony-xs-gf1022x 1.jpg
    sony-xs-gf1022x 1.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 10
  • sony_xplod_car_speake.jpg
    sony_xplod_car_speake.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 9
  • RF.jpeg
    RF.jpeg
    33.2 KB · Views: 9
  • Sony Car Stereo CDX A250.pdf
    451.6 KB · Views: 7
  • RFb.jpg
    RFb.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 12
I think OP is trying to cook something quick and dirty, lets not scare him away with the rabbit hole that's enclosure design.
1. You will not get proper home theater sound because most car stereos simply clone the front channels for the back so you won't get true surround at the back
2 if you have a SMPS lying around, do try it, but not sure if it will work - noise, how to turn it on etc are some complications
3. If the smps route doesn't work, try a meanwell lrs 100-12. If you have a multimeter, you can get an lrs 100-15 and adjust the voltage to 14.4 and get a bit more power
4. Looks like you have 4 and 6.5 inch speakers. Both are coaxial full range speakers. The tweeter is the small speaker inside. Finding boxes for these, particularly the 4 inch is not straightforward. Look at you local electronics bazaar areas

Back