Other DIY E-INK/EBOOK reader ? has anyone tried making one ?

Dont want to pay 21k for a kindle oasis want to build my own large 12inch+ e-ink reader using a e-ink screen and a raspberry pi zero running calibre lirbary.Where can i buy cheap e-ink screens for cheap. Aliexpress had a huge collection but as we all know RIP.

I did try this using a 7 inch wave share screen a few years ago.

Great project for learning . However factor in cost for custom case, battery, pi, charger etc and you won’t end up saving too much. Additionally, it is really bad ergonomically. ( you’ll need space for the pi and battery - than you’ll have to figure out how to weight it to have a comfy center of gravity)

save yourself the hassle and purchase something prebuilt. I recently purchased the basic kindle and it is much better than my diy experience .

Not to show off but something i was working on at work basically custom pc board with nxp imx6ulz processor and the eink screens connected over spi bus. once you get to fixing the device tree for the linux kernel. you can pretty much do anything using pythons spi bus library.
if i were you, i would try experimenting with color eink screen.
78D2C193-DA60-471C-BA19-89C486AA4712.jpeg

I did try this using a 7 inch wave share screen a few years ago.

Great project for learning . However factor in cost for custom case, battery, pi, charger etc and you won’t end up saving too much. Additionally, it is really bad ergonomically. ( you’ll need space for the pi and battery - than you’ll have to figure out how to weight it to have a comfy center of gravity)

save yourself the hassle and purchase something prebuilt. I recently purchased the basic kindle and it is much better than my diy experience .
i see,the small kindle feels too small due to eye issues i have to avoid reading that small.
Not to show off but something i was working on at work basically custom pc board with nxp imx6ulz processor and the eink screens connected over spi bus. once you get to fixing the device tree for the linux kernel. you can pretty much do anything using pythons spi bus library.
if i were you, i would try experimenting with color eink screen.
View attachment 111579
i would love to experiment only problem is with aliexp banned e-ink screens are expensive af in india from indian resellers.

Last edited:
Dont want to pay 21k for a kindle oasis want to build my own large 12inch+ e-ink reader using a e-ink screen and a raspberry pi zero running calibre lirbary.Where can i buy cheap e-ink screens for cheap. Aliexpress had a huge collection but as we all know RIP.
You could try checking on ebay.

@fastapifastdisks

Should satisfy your DIY vibe.
this is perfect thanks,quite expensive.

What is your use other than learning?
mostly eye issues so need large screens and large fonts to read.plus reading manga on big screen is much better

Back