Other DIY: Motorola Razr M - sealed battery replacement

all4music

Disciple
after i lost my Mi4i , i went back to using my old razr M.
major problem with it is poor battery life. earlier in it's younger days it wasn't that bad. so i thought replacing with a new battery might solve the problem to some extent. so i went ahead and ordered the battery on ebay.in.

procedure:
there are couple of neat videos out there on youtube which describe how to remove the internals of razr m.

first task is to peel off cover from lower part and the Motorola logo. both are stuck on with thin double sided tape. it was easier than i thought. they came right off with a guitar pick.
DSC_8687.JPG

phone seems to be over-engineered in the fastening department considering that 11 screws are holding the two halves of the phone. 3 screws under the plastic bit, 2 under the logo and 3 on each side.

DSC_8688.JPG

screen and logic board are connected with flat wire. need to be careful while separating.

next, few more on logic board [actually lost count of them
tout.gif
]
logic board separated from the rear panel. you can see the battery stuck to the lower panel on the left. before you could separate the logic board, one would have to remove the battery, rear and front camera flat cables.
DSC_8689.JPG

actually prying the battery was more difficult. it was stuck with some strong glue. finally had to use the knife to pry it off!
old vs new comparison!
DSC_8692.JPG

you can see how thin this 2000mAH battery is !
DSC_8694.JPG

test charging before putting all together.. looks like power transplant was a success!
DSC_8695.JPG

finally the team mug shot!
DSC_8696.JPG

for now phone has powered on and has started off charging from 45% upwards. will report if it lives and works tomorrow onward.

Very Good job! Hope more and more members will come up with this type of post. I'd like to suggest All the members to search for "how to disassemble" guide before attemping this. Despite of I being a regular Techno geek, once I 've snapped off the Power btton's flex of my SESatio U1i aka Edou . Volume up/down, camera button etc. flexes are very likekly to get snapped off while taking apart Smartphones.

Back