Do broadband tweaks really work in India ?

So do broadband tweaking programs really work in India ?
You cannot deny the fact that there are a lot of programs that claim to revolutionize your speeds . Some fake , some under rated . Some success stories . But then again you wonder - " nah ,probably not in my area / state " . So lets go through a collection of what all we can really do ,what all tools are out there ,find out if they work and analyse the results accordingly.

Before I start ...
Im running on a touctel 256 kbps connection with FIREFOX . and the following steps are those that i followed .Results of contrasting speeds will be shown below .

Cleaning browser cache
Doing this at regular periods of time helps since after weeks spent on the Internet, your Web browser could be stuffed with unncessary temporary files.

Firefox
• Open the Edit menu.
• Select Preferences.
• Open the Advanced sub-categories and select "Cache".
• "Clear Cache" button.
• OK.

Mozilla:
• Open the Edit menu.
• Select Preferences.
• Open the Advanced sub-categories and select "Cache".
• "Clear Cache" button.
• OK.

Opera:
• Open the Edit menu.
• Select Preferences.
• Open the Advanced sub-categories and select "History".
• Select "Empty now" next to "Disk Cache" and "Memory Cache".
• OK.
Allowing to be Pinged
For security reasons ,you might not always be happy with the thought of your Firewall accepting ICMP Requests , but heres the reason why it helps as well :
This allows you to see if there are congestion problems, bottlenecks, bad routers, and if something is wrong at your location. If you're not, the only thing the test is useful for is a fancy traceroute. source

Finding your connection's MTU
Open a command window (in XP, click Start-Run, type cmd and hit ) and then type the command ‘ping www.techenclave.com -f -l 1472’ . If you see the reply “Packet needs to be fragmented but DF setâ€, try lower byte values until this message stops appearing.

Add 28 to the number you used to get the optimum MTU. 1500 (1472+28) is the maximum possible MTU.

tetouchtelbroadbandtest3ping6p.jpg

For eg: i got mine as 1464 .Which means i then add 28 to that to get my MTU.

And now the goodies
Looking through several such tools i picked up Dr.TCP which has been operational for more than a decade . You can download this 50 odd Kb tool in the link given. After a quick install , and going through the helpful Tweak test that gives suggestions on how to use Dr. TCP . I found the MTU as specified above , then applied the settings and restarted .Here are the corresponding results which are actaully in three modes :

1. without any tweaking
2. with cach cleaning , allowing pings , and using dr.tcp without timestamping - which i actaully forgot to do .( they suggested to do it )
3. with cach cleaning , allowing pings , and using dr.tcp with timestamping

The results
Here are results from the speed tests done at SpeakEasy for all three modes. You can also try out other tests as posted in this thread .
tetouchtelbroadbandtest24zk.jpg

So there you have it , real speeds and real improvements . Party on ! :)

Attachments

• tweak test reports.txt
    2.1 KB · Views: 229
Good tut Bosky,
I fond a lot of improvement after following ur tut.
Repped ya :)
Before -

After - :cool2:

a bit more tweaking :hap2:

Thanks a lot!

I have a Sify BB connection @ 256Kbps. I tried the speed test at speakeasy.net. But my connection seems to be at its full speed even without using Dr.TCP! DL is at 244Kbps!

Anyways, thanks a lot for that tweak. I learnt something new!

Arvind

Bosky101,

Great , it will sure increase the speed but eat more Bandwidth, so this trick not useful for Bandwidth Watchers.

hi bosky,
first time I'm seeing an article from u. We don't know each other & I'm a noob. So with the formalities out of the way let's get down to business :-

1. Should one do these tests at the beginning of net connectivity or it's o.k. to do anytime. I mean let's say I start with a session at 2:00 a.m. so should I do the tests at tht time or is anytime o.k. I don't know in ADSL if this happens or not but in dial-up as time used to increase the speed used to get dropped. So using that historical reference.

So in essence does the MTU remain constant throughout a session or sessions or would there be differences between sessions.

2. I have the D-Link 502-T router which connects to the D-Link 10/100 mbps ethernet card. So in broadand reports there are 7 options for conenctions :-

a. Normal
b. winpoet
c. WinXPpppoe
d. routerpppoe
e. raspppoe
f. enternet
g. pppoA

Now anyway to know which is which & what should one use when/where?
@tifosi , there seems to be a goof-up somewhere as even though with the last tweak u'r download speed seems to be same. Is this right :confused: :)

Nice tutorial though :)

ive done tons of Net tweaking with my 256kbps cable connection...

i tried cablenut, with custom made values for my connection (made by some net guru)

and tried a bunch of stuff...

the DL speed dif was maybe 1-2 kbps max

the net in india so BS and crap....i dont think its worth it

maybe if you have more than a 1.5mb connection

join testmy.net - broadband speed test and broadband community forums to get some very good tweaking guides

shirish said:
hi bosky,
1. Should one do these tests at the beginning of net connectivity or it's o.k. to do anytime. I mean let's say I start with a session at 2:00 a.m. so should I do the tests at tht time or is anytime o.k.
the tweaks are meant to effect the speeds ,and hence dont take the time into consideration .So if night speeds are usually high for you, they stand a chance to be even higher at night with the tweaks on .

So in essence does the MTU remain constant throughout a session or sessions or would there be differences between sessions.
The MTU once set is not limited to a session or time again . once set will apply to all consequent transactions .

a. Normal
b. winpoet
c. WinXPpppoe
d. routerpppoe
e. raspppoe
f. enternet
g. pppoA
Unless you know what ur isp is offering ,i suggest u do as follows .If you go to ControlPanel->network connections ,and double click your network adapter, click on the support tab and look at your IP address. If it starts with '192.168' then you are on a router and choose routerppoe, if you get a different I.P then 192.168 choose WinXPpppoe..If you are using WinXPpppoe and your mtu is at 1491 or lower for one or both of them, then you will benefit from RasPPPOE.Most ISP runs on pppoA in the UK,check out this compatability chart that shows many other isp's suport.

Then again ,u neednt go through the trouble of choosing these 7 options,after its just a speed test. so do ur tweak and you can check it anywhere .
Nice tutorial though
thanx .... 8 )

I got about 15-20% higher speed with the tweaks.

One last query, where the settings are saved, where are they saved actually? Thnx in advance. Repped u :)

Back