Audio Do closed back headphones amplify outside noise?

6pack

ex-Mod
I use Samson SR950 to listen to tv. I have this problem where I can hear people talking outside my house interfering with the tv audio.

Funny thing I saw, when I removed the headphones, then I can barely hear what they are talking. If I put the headphones back on, their voices are louder than if I didn't wear the headphones. So it looks like the headphones are increasing the outside noise.

I searched the web and the general consensus is that closed back headphones block outside noise compared to open back headphones. Here is opposite.

Is there a way to completely block outside noise from interfering with the audio I want to listen to. Maybe opening up the speakers and stuffing in something in it. I tried stuffing cotton inside but the bass became negligible.

I don't want to listen through earphones because they don't sound as good as these headphones.

I think it may depend on the design of the concerned headphone. As someone who has used closed back the entire life except until recently, I haven't experienced this behaviour on any of mine. They block outside noise quite to a significant degree. Headphones used as far as memory serves were dt770, m20x, k361, m40x etc.

PS: Forgot to mention, they amplify on body sounds, like yours heartbeat and all that. Yeah. So I'm assuming sounds from immediate proximity with the headphone will be amplified as well.

Does your TV have mic? It might be recording and playing it back through the headphones. Newer Android (for phones) does come with this exact feature.

Does your TV have mic? It might be recording and playing it back through the headphones. Newer Android (for phones) does come with this exact feature.
No, it's an old non smart TV. I've connected a NUC running Kodi and I'm watching downloaded content. Don't have any TV subscription. And the 3.5 audio port I've connected to is of an external dac connected through spdif to the nuc. I should have mentioned these earlier, sorry.

No, it's an old non smart TV. I've connected a NUC running Kodi and I'm watching downloaded content. Don't have any TV subscription. And the 3.5 audio port I've connected to is of an external dac connected through spdif to the nuc. I should have mentioned these earlier, sorry.
Is the NUC running windows? See if it has mic. If it's listening through the mic then there will be a mic icon in the system tray (windows 10 and above).

I use Samson SR950 to listen to tv. I have this problem where I can hear people talking outside my house interfering with the tv audio.
Interesting problem

What is Samson SR950? Over Ear, which are supposed to have good isolation. Do they cover your ears entirely or are there any gaps?

noise isolation.jpg

Funny thing I saw, when I removed the headphones, then I can barely hear what they are talking. If I put the headphones back on, their voices are louder than if I didn't wear the headphones. So it looks like the headphones are increasing the outside noise.
Small gaps means higher frequencies get in. I suspect these cans don't fit you too well.
I searched the web and the general consensus is that closed back headphones block outside noise compared to open back headphones. Here is opposite.
Fit ?
Is there a way to completely block outside noise from interfering with the audio I want to listen to. Maybe opening up the speakers and stuffing in something in it. I tried stuffing cotton inside but the bass became negligible.
Needs a better seal.

Is the NUC running windows? See if it has mic. If it's listening through the mic then there will be a mic icon in the system tray (windows 10 and above).
No windows. No hdd. Just libreelec Kodi running through USB stick.

Interesting problem

What is Samson SR950? Over Ear, which are supposed to have good isolation. Do they cover your ears entirely or are there any gaps?

View attachment 162229

Small gaps means higher frequencies get in. I suspect these cans don't fit you too well.

Fit ?

Needs a better seal.
Hmm Maybe the sealing could be the problem. The earpads are not factory default ones. Those went bad years ago. These one I made myself and stuck them to the speakers using double sided tape. Maybe one of those big yellow silicone rubber bands near the earpad edges might do the trick.

Back