CPU/Mobo do i need a graphic card??

chintu

Recruit
Dec 31, 2006
hi all..
M planning to buy a core2 duo e6300 with 1gb ddr2 ram.
I ll be playing games like nfs,gta,fifa
Do i really need to go for a graphic card?Would any motherboard with on-board graphics suffice?
I can go for a e6400 with the differential amount also...
plz advise me

nukeu666

Skilled
Dec 19, 2006
if you are going to play games, ANY games, you need a gfx card

even a low budget 7300 or even a 6800 will satisfy your purposes as long as you stay with fifa/nfs and not oblivion,prey etc

Cain0xr

Disciple
Dec 2, 2006
For the games you mentioned onboard should be enough, except maybe for carbon, but then again, I havn't really played the game :p

But don't forget it'll churn memory off your main RAM.

Private Ryan

Skilled
Dec 24, 2006
^^You havent mentioned which franchise of nfs u wanna play..u can play the older ones on the onboard gfx..but if u wanna play the underground or most wanted, u may have to play at low settings and tht too at 800x600 res..even then do not expect gr8 frame rates..the latest of fifa(06/07) significantly need better gfx cards to perform at respectable frame rates..so do not skip the idea of a gfx card if u wanna play games..u can make do without it for the moment but it is still advisable tht u get a moderate to good gfx card in future..

As for the processors, i'd say go for E6300 if u are an overclocker..its a much better value for money..it oces better than the e6400..else if u dont wann oc, the 6400 is the one to go for..:)

Cain0xr

Disciple
Dec 2, 2006
I think he's aware of the FPS drops......anyone willing to go for onboard should be :/

The question that seems to glare on him is whether he'll be able to play those games or not.

tracerbullet

Skilled
Jul 4, 2005
Mumbai
chintu said:
hi all..
M planning to buy a core2 duo e6300 with 1gb ddr2 ram.
I ll be playing games like nfs,gta,fifa
Do i really need to go for a graphic card?Would any motherboard with on-board graphics suffice?
I can go for a e6400 with the differential amount also...
plz advise me
Well, my logic is simple. If you're spending that kind of money and investing in a powerful rig like this one, then why not spend another 5-6 grand and put in a decently performing graphics card?

p_sam21

Adept
Mar 20, 2005
Consider few things before u decide on graphics card, i am a user of onboard graphics , albeit a much older version.

1.Do u want to play games at max graphics settings, like enable shadow, high texture, unique details etc. If yes then go for graphics card.

2.Do u want to play high definition games which will come out in future. Most of onboard cards support its own generation of games pretty decently. But the problem usually appears after a year or two when u will not be able to play any new games at all.

3.The price of cards stabilise / stop reducing after a certain point. If u want to go for directx9 card, which in my opinion is not required as of now, then u can well get a graphics card now itself, coz most of those prices will not reduce much any more. However if u want to go for directx 10 card, then u can very well wait for atleast a year for decent prices. Second option is better as your onboard card will suffice for a year.

Also consider getting 2 gb of ram now itself, coz often ram upgrades are painful if u dont get the matching pairs. More so if u are not going for separate graphics card as u will need more memory in that case.

chintu

Recruit
Dec 31, 2006
thanks guys...

Well actually i had orignially planned to go for 7300gt..but today i enquired the prices and it costs a whopping 10k..its actually at around 4.7 k according to the many forums i have visited.

ya i do know there ll be a drop in the frame rates...hmmm will thnk over thank you..

SO a E6300 is as good as a e6400??I wont be oc as of now...

Well i'm happy with Xp..so wont be upgrading to vista anytime soon,so with 1gb of ram,i think the onboard graphics can have a share of it without serious drop in performance...r8?

thank you all...

p_sam21

Adept
Mar 20, 2005
All those who said they will not upgrade from 98 to xp did it eventually. So will u, i mean upgrade to vista, may be after a year or so. Besides 1gb dont do justice to dual core. If u dont buy the graphics card then go for 2gb. Once for all.

Ram and hdd are two areas where u should try to get as much as u can. Its always less. :no:

thexfactor

Insanely Awesome!!
Skilled
Mar 31, 2006
chintu said:
thanks guys...
Well actually i had orignially planned to go for 7300gt..but today i enquired the prices and it costs a whopping 10k..its actually at around 4.7 k according to the many forums i have visited.

10K must be for the 7600GT, infact you could get a 7300gt for under 5k and a 7600gs will cost you 6k odd

chiron

Skilled
Feb 8, 2006
chintu said:
thanks guys...
ya i do know there ll be a drop in the frame rates...hmmm will thnk over thank you..
Well i'm happy with Xp..so wont be upgrading to vista anytime soon,so with 1gb of ram,i think the onboard graphics can have a share of it without serious drop in performance...r8?
thank you all...

imo you should go for a gfx card if you are decided upon getting a e6300 or greater processor.

On the other hand if you are willing to play games upto say Doom 3/Q4(low settings) then a single core AMD and a 6100 chipset mobo would do adequately and at much cheaper price. Think about it... Fable, Elder Scrolls 3, GTA: SA... all can work with this config.

Private Ryan

Skilled
Dec 24, 2006
chintu said:
thanks guys...
thank you all...

7300 GT for 10k?? :O Somebody made u a Maamu or wot?? (jus jkin..:eek:hyeah: )
U can easily get a good brand 7600 GT for 8-9k..

I'd say if u are willing to get the 7300gt..add a little more and get the 7600GS..the price difference between the two isnt much..though the price difference between 7300 GT n 7600 GT is significant..i faced a similar dilemma when i was out to buy a decent mid range card..i had the 7300GT in mind but then i saw a few benchies and decided to settle for an XFX 7600 GS for 6.3k..
u'll get the BIG 7600 GS for an even lesser price..around 5.8k..

The E6300 at stock obviously isnt as good as the E6400..but if u oc it a little bit, it can match the e6600(forget 6400) easily and that too on stock cooling!!..btw the E6300 has more headroom for ocing than the 6400..so i think it makes a better overall choice..:)