Do I need SP2 tcpip.sys patch?

I'm on a puny 6KBps dialup and torrent download speeds at around 3-4KBps with Bitcomet 0.57 (have set max download speed to 7KBps and max upload to 3KBps).

Just wanted to know if there will I be any benefit to P2P and torrent apps by installing the patch for Windows XP SP2 tcpip.sys?

The 10 connection limit is done to deal with restricting many file sharing networks and download connections which causes an eventid called 4226 which means that there are to many concurrent TCP connection attempts.

if you are using XP SP2 :
there are only 10 concurrent TCP connection attempts possible, therefore you can replace the tcpip.sys file as given here.
.But i'd suggest you to get this nice lil patch that does all the work for you. Get it here !!

if you are using XP SP1 :
it has not been limited,so i gues u wundt need it :p
Which effects does this limit have?
Applications with many connection attemps may work bad or not at all. Even web browsers, eMail clients or antivir programs can be affected and might bring a long time of waiting.
Also administrative diagnosticprograms in companies make problem. In short, there seems to be more problems than there is an advantage. sourcehttp://www.lvllord.de/?lang=en&url=4226patch/faq
How can I find out, if I'm affected?
Start/Maintenance/Control Panel/Administration Management/Eventview/System .Then look for entries with eventID 4226. If yes, minimum one time the limit has been reached

Hey thanks for the reply. But what I meant was will there be any noticeable diffrence in the performance of P2P as I'm only on a dialup, not a hi speed connection. Anyways, since I do see the event 4226 in event log, I will try the patching utility.

Hi Hellfire, I did apply this patch on my sp2 m/c and then emule/edonkey download stopped completely.
Then I had to replace the patched tcpip.sys with original one to regain connection.
So beware.
Also, this will not do anything for download speed, as it's entirely dependent on ur connection speed only.

aaah i so love this patch...increased my speeds manyfold.
trust me, this patch is god send...actually helped me !!
only download from the original site.(lvllord.de), there are many fakes floating around, and you dont want to mess ur system up !!

Back