Do modern jobs do enough good?

Neotheone

Figuring stuff out
Adept
Hi Everyone,

Is it just me, or do more of you feel that too many well-paying modern jobs do not necessarily add enough value in terms of real-world productivity or impact anymore? I can only speak for myself, but I have now worked in risk assessment and treasury management in the financial services industry for about 13 years, and I often find it difficult to see any real-world impact of what I do.

To make myself feel better, I often theorize that my work results in capital allocation towards the right economic activity, which ultimately results in more productivity and hence, prosperity. However, I must admit based on what I see in the industry, there are very few takers for the truth about risks when it really matters, because the truth about financial risk is often about stopping the music when the party is on in financial markets. So, I and my colleagues in the field seem to rarely, if ever, take the actions that are most necessary from the big-picture perspective. This feeling has grown over the years.

It might be interesting to hear from folks in other careers too. Any thoughts?

Back