Graphic Cards Do we need a graphics card for Maya ?

Hi
One of my friend need help for 3d animation (using Maya) PC setup.
I have no idea whether a good graphic card is required for maya or any IGP will do...
Also his budget is 40K for complete setup.
3d animation experts please help

TIA

yeah you need a WORKSTATION CARD

1) but they are costly

2)you can always softmod a normal gaming card(not all)

3)at 40k ya may fit in a low end workstation card (hopefully)

4) it wont help you for final rendering of your model as that uses CPU..(mental ray n shit)

correct me if i am wrong

If he is only learning and/or doing casual work then get any decent gaming card. That way he can game too. If he is into serious 3d work stuff then Quadro FX 580.
Btw Quadro FX580 has the same chip as 9600GT and should give 80-90% of 9600GT's gaming performance .

If he is only learning and/or doing casual work then get any decent gaming card. That way he can game too. If he is into serious 3d work stuff then Quadro FX 580.
Btw Quadro FX580 has the same chip as 9600GT and should give 80-90% of 9600GT's gaming performance .
but within a budget od 40k u can get a good 3D workstation.
with FX 580.

with 40k budget for whole system, the best bet is to softmod a gaming card.

i wud suggest either a HD 3850 or an 8800GT for modding.

Shud give 4x better performance in rendering and bout less than haf performance in games after modding.

if he's just learning then these gaming cards r enough for him..Quadro series from Nvidia is basically for professionals only..

i renderend my complete showreel on Maya using Q6600 + 9800GT comfortably a yr bck :p n i used every renderer in it too :p

111diablo111 said:
if he's just learning then these gaming cards r enough for him..Quadro series from Nvidia is basically for professionals only..

i renderend my complete showreel on Maya using Q6600 + 9800GT comfortably a yr bck :p n i used every renderer in it too :p

Please! I and some others have stated this so many times. Rendering in Maya/Max is not GPU centric. GPU is for viewport performance and stability.

^^so when did i said that rendering in Maya is GPU centric?? :O it purely uses CPU..i just said that i used combo of Q6600 + 9800GT to render my files..what's wrong in it?? :O

Ok. Your post, especially after the previous post did make it look that way though.

Personally, I felt the gaming cards upto 1800XT worked ok, but after that, the 2xxx, 3xxx and cards like 8600GT(really bad) gave Maya viewport corruptions even though they were able to pull in considerable speed in the viewport. You could notice this sometimes while painting weights on vertices. Having said that, I am not sure about the Maya viewport performance of the current generation of gaming cards as I hardly do any such work at home anymore.

Back