Do you switch off mobile/dont use it while charging battery?

do u?????
yday, while i was tryin to cal someone, my room mate shouted on me:eek:hyeah: for using it while charging.. i (and all) has seen such forwards, where shock attack comes n all.. but guys(gals lik me too) i suppose never follow them...and i have also seen ppl charging mobiles overnight for so many hours and that too each day... is it because they are ignorant how much damage they are bringing to their mobile??? :huh:

NB: i dont know wehere to create threads like this and the other mobile cover thing..since related to mobile, i m creating under portable zone.. i reques the mods to do the needful if they find my thread violating the rules.

NB 2: and if my english language looks different today, i owe it cos of my sleepyness and boredom at office evening, and if it has improved, i owe it to my company for forcing me to send mails to boss and each and every guy (including my neighbour) for any silly reason!! :S
(anyways i got now a new topic.. kewl...)

I have no idea, but i never use the phone while charging it. it may be ON, but i never use it.

My policy, you cant talk while you chew, so why use the mobile while its charging? er... hope you got that analogy..

And about charging mobs overnight/everyday, it depends on the battery! My sister has to charge her 2-yr old SE T230 every night for it to work the next day.

havent yet turned off my phone since i bought it :p most of the phone horror stories have been with fake battries and chargers if i m not mistaken

i do some times use it while charging but i hardly charge for more than 2 hours usually only one hour or so which will last me for two days :)

and be assured you wont get electrocuted if you try talking while the phone is charging, since most of the stuff is made up of plastic.

Just last nite i was using my phone while it was charing...i mean the battery was almost drained and there wasnt a chance that i could get out of talkin over the phone....

i guess there is no harm in doin that......

i charge my mobile everynight, what wrong with it? it does not consume significant energy. i have nothing to do with mobile in the night while i am sleeping.
i do use mobile while charging and never found any problem with my nokia mobile, however in mobile manual it is advised not to use mobile while charging
Note:- i was having previously LG C3400 mobile it was having problem that if you try to take picture while charging, mobile was getting switched off.

@vince: i can understand part of wat u said, but still,
does it mean if you are having you cant listen to music or watch tv or read books???
i agree if i keep it in charging mode, i cant use headphones, but i stil can talk/play music/radio etc na... hmmm...
and charging at night i meant keeping the phone charged whole night.. for 7-8 hours when the phone can get charged in 1-2 hours....
/*me leaving home now... bye bye :)/*

ya 1-2 hours is more than enough charging i suppose check the manual along with the phone it should tell you the optimum time for charging i suppose :)

1. You can use your mobile while charging it. Some of the older ones wouldn't charged unless switched off, but the new ones can charge while on.

2. You cannot normally get a shock, because DC current leads out of the adaptor at a voltage of 10-12 V, and low amperage. You will have a hard time getting a shock, unless maybe you bite into the adaptor cord.

3. Leaving it overnight will probably not damage it. But it is better to disconnect it as soon as possible because electricity fluctuations (a standard feature just about everywhere in India) can kill the adaptor. I know, because everyone in Pune has to change his adaptor every year.

4. It is best to let your battery discharge as much as possible before recharging due to the memory effect in NiMH batteries. In fact that might be why Vince's sister's phone needs to be charged everyday. She must not have let it discharge properly early on.

bluediamond said:
@vince: i can understand part of wat u said, but still,
does it mean if you are having you cant listen to music or watch tv or read books???
I can, but my puny phone cant! :)

bluediamond said:
i agree if i keep it in charging mode, i cant use headphones, but i stil can talk/play music/radio etc na... hmmm...
I better leave that for the expert techies!

bluediamond said:
and charging at night i meant keeping the phone charged whole night.. for 7-8 hours when the phone can get charged in 1-2 hours....
Answered by the King!
KingKrool said:
3. Leaving it overnight will probably not damage it. But it is better to disconnect it as soon as possible because electricity fluctuations (a standard feature just about everywhere in India) can kill the adaptor. I know, because everyone in Pune has to change his adaptor every year.

KingKrool said:
In fact that might be why Vince's sister's phone needs to be charged everyday. She must not have let it discharge properly early on.
Er.... that'd have to be my fault! I used it for a year before i gave it to her!
:p

err i didnt get the part of complete discharging?? why you have to do that?

when i got my phone it was completely charged.. well almost.. and it took only likke 30 min to charge it completely..

and i have to charge my phone almost everyday.. its a new phone..k750i.. am i doing something wrong here.?

KingKrool said:
4. It is best to let your battery discharge as much as possible before recharging due to the memory effect in NiMH batteries. In fact that might be why Vince's sister's phone needs to be charged everyday. She must not have let it discharge properly early on.

those were in old age. these days the battery have nil memory effect but its better to completely discharge and charge to full atleast once a month for long life :)

I leave my phone on charger overnight, it usually stops charging after the battery is full so I dont see any harm.

Coming back to the main subject I dont use while charging, dont like to use as the battery is somewhat warm, makes the cell uncomfy in hands.

i dont remember having switched off my mobile the last one year except to change SIMs. and i have used my mobile wile charging without any problems so far.. hope it stays that way ;) i wouldnt want a burnt ear ;)

archish said:
I leave my phone on charger overnight, it usually stops charging after the battery is full so I dont see any harm

I think this is true of all mobiles nowadays.... so how can the battery get overcharged??

i charge my cell 9 hours a day for sure as i use to surf net with it :D
it works like a charm.
my cousin uses a 2 years old 7610 he uses to surf too charges it around 5 hours every day works like charm.
u have to charge if u surf .. afaik.

1. Most mobiles have an auto cutoff circuit that ensures that battery is not overcharged. so nothing will happen even if you put the mobile on charging for whole night. The power to the battery will be simply get cut off after the charging is complete

2. Low quality/ duplicate/ faulty battries may explode some times, but that too is rare.

3. You may get an electric shock from the mobile when the transformer or the circuit in the AC adaptor is leaking current and the mobile either has a metal body which in some way got connected to the adapter cable or the person is sweating while using the phone and the sweat created a contact between the person and the internals of the mobile.

current leaks can occur due to poor quality electric/electronic components or due to incorrect/improper cabling in the house.

Technically an AC adaptor should give very low DC voltages (As per thier specification) , but some times due to leaking current, it can bring in high voltages.

I have myself experienced a number of electric shocks since childhood, 3 times while handling an AC adaptor, and may times with the computer. even though the Max voltages going to the Mobo are -12 to +12V DC, I got severe electric shocks when handling USB plugs. I changed the plugs to another socket and the leaking stopped.

My advice

1. Use good quality battaries and chargers. Even if you do not go for an origninal replacement, ensure that the brand you are going for is reliable.

2. Never ever touch the charger output pin that goes into the mobile. (especiialy for Nokia phones as they have an exposed pin) If its leaking current, you will get a shock.

3. Always have proper earthing for the sockets, for appliances having 3 Pin plugs, dont pull off the earth pin to fit it in a 2 pin socket. The 3rd pin is there for a reason.

Back