Does adding RJ45 Coupler drop speed?

Hi,

I need 70 ft of Cat7/Cat6 ethernet cable. I bought a Cat7 20m cable from Amazon (this one) which turned out to be a fake. It could hardly reach 100 mbps. I thought of buying a D-Link 100 m bundle and making my own but they really cost a bomb. 100m Cat6 cable is around ₹4,000. I am instead think of buying two of these and connecting them with a RJ45 Coupler like this one.

What is the drop in speed I should expect? Are there any reputed RJ45 Couplers that would eliminate speed drop?

Thanks,
Srikanth

From my limited experience as long as amazon ethernet cable you mention is good then you will not notice any reduce speed.

Though I would suggest to go with dlink full length cable to avoid unnecessary complications.

Also Amazon cable is costly compare to dlink 100 meter bundle price as you suggested

If you are using a coupler, you may want to physically secure (think tapes, heat shrink tubes, zip ties, etc.) the cable terminations and the coupler together to avoid damage to the setup because of tension. I have use cheap couplers before, but did not notice any speed drop up to gigabit.

Have been using a coupler between a 10m and 5m cat 5e cable, no speed drops on my 300mbps connection. Always get the full bandwidth across the combined 15m of length

If cable is crimped properly and correctly and you are aware what is straight and cross cabling then any such couplers shouldn't affect the operations aka speed drops etc. I used to use few yrs ago for networking around my house then seeing the clutter thing shifted to wireless!

Hi,

I need 70 ft of Cat7/Cat6 ethernet cable. I bought a Cat7 20m cable from Amazon (this one) which turned out to be a fake. It could hardly reach 100 mbps. I thought of buying a D-Link 100 m bundle and making my own but they really cost a bomb. 100m Cat6 cable is around ₹4,000. I am instead think of buying two of these and connecting them with a RJ45 Coupler like this one.

What is the drop in speed I should expect? Are there any reputed RJ45 Couplers that would eliminate speed drop?

Thanks,
Srikanth
No drop.. I use quite a few and all connections work at 1000mbps.
BTW you can buy CAT6 cable (D-Link) @25/- a meter from any local electric shop

Back