Budget 0-20k Does Displayport cable version matter

UserRG

Disciple
I need to buy Displayport cable, and on different cables list different supported versions (1.2 -1.4). But as per official website (Displayport.org), DP cables are version agnostic.

DisplayPort makes display cable selection pretty easy. A standard DisplayPort cable is designed to work with any DisplayPort source device, such as a PC or laptop, and any DisplayPort monitor.

So any well made DP cable should support all versions, and the cable versions are all marketing. Am I reading this right ?

I need to buy Displayport cable, and on different cables list different supported versions (1.2 -1.4). But as per official website (Displayport.org), DP cables are version agnostic.

So any well made DP cable should support all versions, and the cable versions are all marketing. Am I reading this right ?
I will fit obviously, data transfer rate for display, resolution and refresh rate depends on version

You can go through this link

Decide according to your monitor and monitor upgrade plans

Cheers!!

You can go through this link
The top reply in the linked thread says 1.2 and 1.4 cables are internally same, but recommends 1.4 anyways.
Technically the DisplayPort 1.2 cable should work since the inner workings of a DP 1.2 and DP 1.4 cable are the same. However, since DisplayPort 1.4 requires much higher resolutions, it is more susceptible to issues. Therefore DisplayPort 1.4 cables are recommended because they are generally made to higher standards.

Back