CPU/Mobo Does Intel X.M.P. depends upon CPU also???

mubashshir

Recruit
:confused1::confused1:I read on Intel's site that i5 (SB) & i7 (SB) are compatible with Intel Extreme Memory Profile.............My question is that if i3 (SB) also supports X.M.P. or not???

I have an i3 2120, Corsair XMS3 1600 mhz...........recently I have brought a Asrock H61-M PS2, which supports X.M.P. 1.2/1.3. But the problem is that

1) My board is not showing X.M.P. option/profile in BIOS & Ram is running at 1333...is this due to the CPU?
2) Can i m able to run it at 1600 mhz by changing its timing, voltage etc manually.....if yes than plzzz tell me the procedure?
3) Is there any other way to do so? :confused1::confused1:

Please help.
Thanks in advance.

Please change your font size and color to normal. Not only is it irritating to read, such a post does not warrant quick responses to your queries.

Any further posts will be deleted on sight without any prior intimation!

If you've got a motherboard (and RAM) that supports 1600, but the default for the processor is 1333, then what usually happens is the bios sets the RAM speed to 1333 by default. To change this to 1600 (which doesn't have much effect if you're not using the graphics part of the CPU) you have to go into the BIOS anyway (unless there's a softare utility to do the same thing, but I'd prefer the BIOS). BIOS's are nice and friendly these days anyway. If you have XMP you find the RAM bit and set XMP profile to 'enabled'. If you don't have XMP you find the RAM bit and set the speed to '1600' (or equivalent, it might be a real speed - 800, or a multiplier).

What XMP does extra is force the voltage to be correct, and adjusts all lots of memory sub timings by a little bit, to values the ram manufacturer guarentees works fine. You can do the same changes manually, or you can just leave it on auto and the motherboard will do a pretty good job on its own (to the point you won't notice the difference even in benchmarks).
XMP is just a quick way of setting the speed, non XMP can be set just as fast, you just do it manually in the BIOS.

SHORT ANSWER:NO.

Back