Storage Solutions Does NVMe heat sink help for longevity?

BullettuPaandi

Disciple
I'm using this Crucial P1 NVMe SSD. It has done 6447 hours, 9337GB writes and 8549GB reads. Temp is usually between 40-45C and the health is 95%. I looked up that below 50C is safe. But, would adding a heat sink extend it's lifespan or reads/writes decides it all?
I don't know which factor affects what.

Its depends on other factors as well like your case temps and hows the airflow.
Yes and of course heat sink will help but doesn't your nvme slot cover acts as a heatsink with the thermal pads? IF its all good its actually sufficient unless wanna splurge...

Usually the controller would require heatsink for high performance drives. For this drive it is not mandatory given the controller according to this review goes to 79c at max (70-75c is the ideal limit) and that's a bit high, but not a problem. If you're that concerned add the motherboard provided heatsink. 40-45c is the composite temperature I believe, your drive would throttle when it reaches 60-65c

Attachments

• 2- Top.jpg
    2- Top.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 69
Most budget motherboards like mine don't have slot covers/ include heat sinks.

Not ideal. Could fit only 3 intake fans and PSU fan is the only active exhaust for the case. Heat from both CPU & GPU sure stay for a while there.
Thats the suffering of mini builds.. Get heat sink! I was gonna ask if GPU/CPU is throwing air on nvme but that you didn't mentioned ITX build so thought mobo might be having one..

Thats the suffering of mini builds.. Get heat sink! I was gonna ask if GPU/CPU is throwing air on nvme but that you didn't mentioned ITX build so thought mobo might be having one..
Yeah, could've made the initial post more detailed, didn't cross my mind.
So, if I understand correctly, heat sink helps reduce thermal throttling, but what about longevity? Does it have any effect? Because if there is thermal throttling, seems like heat sink shouldn't make a difference in terms of health/lifespan. Asking because, Only OS & Apps are in this NVMe; Games and media are in a 2.5" SSD that sits under 40C and is in 100% health.

Yeah, could've made the initial post more detailed, didn't cross my mind.
So, if I understand correctly, heat sink helps reduce thermal throttling, but what about longevity? Does it have any effect? Because if there is thermal throttling, seems like heat sink shouldn't make a difference in terms of health/lifespan. Asking because, Only OS & Apps are in this NVMe; Games and media are in a 2.5" SSD that sits under 40C and is in 100% health.
Lesser heat = lesser temps and so higher is the life... be it any thing on this earth!

Get one from Amazon. There is one by Jonsbo in 749 or 649 and it looks cool too.
If you don't care about looks then search for Dfine ssd heatsink. Its price is 349 and according to Amazon reviews, it can lower the temps by 10-20 degrees

personally i prefer running all my components at as cool a temp as possible. Currently running two NVME drives, one with heatsink which came with mobo and one with after market basic heatsink.
the primary drive runs a bit hotter due to poor airflow around it but i still get idle temps of 42 odd eg
the second drive has better airflow so idles at 34 odd

without heat sink these were at 55-65 so totally worth it
primary drive on right secondary on left marked in blue

Vertical.jpg

Attachments

• 1680238685775.jpeg
    1680238685775.jpeg
    344.7 KB · Views: 47
personally i prefer running all my components at as cool a temp as possible. Currently running two NVME drives, one with heatsink which came with mobo and one with after market basic heatsink.
the primary drive runs a bit hotter due to poor airflow around it but i still get idle temps of 42 odd eg
the second drive has better airflow so idles at 34 odd

without heat sink these were at 55-65 so totally worth it
primary drive on right secondary on left marked in blue

View attachment 164783
Is your noctua fan blowing air from or to the heatsink?

Get one from Amazon. There is one by Jonsbo in 749 or 649 and it looks cool too.
If you don't care about looks then search for Dfine ssd heatsink. Its price is 349 and according to Amazon reviews, it can lower the temps by 10-20 degrees
I use the Jonsbo one for the NVMe drive in my laptop. I had purchased it for less than 600 under one of the seller brands, which was cheaper that whoever is selling under the Jonsbo name.

It has a fairly good build with 2 thin and 2 thick thermal pads. Of course that drive doesn't fit in the primary slot which has the Wi-Fi chipset under it, but it does on the secondary slot. The temperature reduction under load is usually 5-10 degrees, so it seems to be generally worth it.

So i tried both options to see what provides cooler temps in this vertical case layout
Current 5 fan lay out is as attached in image below

View attachment 164789
Is the PSU fan on top? If it is, there's probably negative pressure around the RAM area (assuming your PSU fan draws air in). And looks like the exhaust side should be on the right, so is it pushing hot air against the bottom right fan?

If you could flip the PSU fan, so that it draws air in from bottom right, assisted by a fan there, and pushes out air into the RAM area, it should theoretically result better. Possibly not much, but just checking.
Thanks for the suggestions! Can't wait to take apart the easiest build in the world and put it back again :')

Last edited:
I am guessing by the looks of the cabinet and airflow that you must have tried many combinations for airflow before finalizing this one.
you are a 100% right, airflow experimentation is my fav demon to play with :)
Is the PSU fan on top? If it is, there's probably negative pressure around the RAM area (assuming your PSU fan draws air in). And looks like the exhaust side should be on the right, so is it pushing hot air against the bottom right fan?

If you could flip the PSU fan, so that it draws air in from bottom right, assisted by a fan there, and pushes out air into the RAM area, it should theoretically result better. Possibly not much, but just checking.

Thanks for the suggestions! Can't wait to take apart the easiest build in the world and put it back again :')
have tried all and more options and permutations, this is the end result for now :)
(PSU fan is bottom pulling cold air from below)

The only last compromise i have settled for is Primary NVME sandwiched between GPU and CPU heat sink (but 40-42 idles is ok for now) thot about a tiny fan to blow air along it, but given up on that for now :)

Back