Graphic Cards Does physx have no importance in games ?

Re: Does physx has no importance in games ?

Guess it's just that value for money, frame rates and power consumption are more important.

Like DX 11 if you don't pay premium,you won't get much out of it,likewise phyX also demand a premium card.IF money is no problem always choose nvidia over ATI.

Physx need not be a premium card option. You can have a second mid level card as your physics card, but you should install custom drivers if paired with ati because nvidia decided to turn that off to gain a whip hand in competition.

In Terms of Visual quality, Radeon Cards had always an edge ahead of Nvidia.

But if you want max. features and money is not a concern, go for Nvidia card.. Nvidia cards have much more compatibility with available softwares in Internet :p

I have a doubt...........I saw 3D video in Mac Os. That computer using Nvidia card and he got 3D glass along with the card(I dont Know Card name and manufacturer. he told me that he spent >9k). Whether Ati have the same technology?

knairkuttan said:
I have a doubt...........I saw 3D video in Mac Os. That computer using Nvidia card and he got 3D glass along with the card(I dont Know Card name and manufacturer. he told me that he spent >9k). Whether Ati have the same technology?

thats the nVidia 3D Vision, which has active stutter glasses B)
more info at it's main site:
3D Vision for Home Users

knairkuttan said:
I mean Nvidia 3D card .........

all the nVidia graphics card since 8 series are 3D enabled, so it can be any one of them cards B)

if you want to enjoy 3D, spend more than 9K, cuz enabling 3D causes much stress and hence poor framerates... ( even half of your present normal fps )

Does Physx has no importance in games?

No. As long as Physx has no role in the game play mechanics, it is little more than another feature to increase eye candy. Games that do use Physics as part of game play mechanics don't rely on an API like Physx. They either rely on an engine like Havoc or build their own engines.

Take Arkham Asylum for example. The game is stunning and totally playable without Physx. Physx just a few bits and pieces to the visuals that add to the realism, but are barely noticed during game play and most of all, it doesn't add anything to the game play directly. On the other hand take a game like Red Faction - Guerrilla where Physics is an active part of the game play and gives a whole new dimension to it.

Everyone in techenclave recomends Ati cards. why this?

That is not entirely true. Yes, AMD cards do get recommend a lot, but the reason for that is mostly that AMD seems to have been offering the most value for money GPUs for the most popular segments for 2~3 generations now. nVidia cards also do get recommended depending upon the case. However, it not TE's fault that nVidia had lousy releases in the past. Ask nVidia why they were selling the GTX280 for $500+ before HD48xx series came out with performance/watt and performance/price that make nVidia executives piss in their pants and were forced to drop prices by up to 40%. Ask them why they ever had to release an abomination called GTX480 when it was clearly not ready to go into production. GTX580 is what GTX480 should have been in the first place.

And yeah, no sane self respecting techie would choose an nVidia card simply for Physx support. Yes, Physx is an added bonus for buying a nVidia card, but its hardly a deciding factor. There are other important factors/reasons for choosing an nVidia card.

I didn't say that it is a fault? many of my friends and neighbours seeks my help before buying a computer. I usually use Techenclave to reply them. Many doubts I asked here are their's. Last week one of them asked what is physx. I searched and found that nvidia only has this technology. While recomending GPU our respected members dosn't give much importance to Physx. I just want to know why this? Now I understood that is nothing but Value for money. thankyou for all members participated in this conversation................................:)

No one seems to mention that here are only about 15 games that actually uses hardware accelerated PhysX. Any other title that uses PhysX will have zero benefit when run on a Nvidia graphics card as all PhysX computations is executed on the CPU. Also it is a myth that PhysX is the best physics engine, or even the most optimized. For a detailed analysis take a look at Experiences in 3D: Evaluating Physics Engines For Games - PAL - and http://robotics.eecs.berkeley.edu/mast/wiki/uploads/Main/PhysicsEngines.pdf.

which will be the better card that I can recommend for one of my little friend with in the price range of 5.5k to 6.5k

MSI HD5770 1GB GDDR5 --Rs 6800/-.

What do you mean by little friend?How old is he?IF he's too young,encourage him to play out rather than sitting home.

What do you mean by little friend?How old is he?IF he's too young,encourage him to play out rather than sitting home.
He is 12 years old.. bought new pc..now he wants a card

Back