Does quality of cables make a diff in digital transmissions?

Lord Nemesis

Overlord
Skilled
I am creating this thread a as a place holder for the very interesting discussion that has came up in the market section. I will ask the mods to move all the relevant posts over to this thread.

I have a Eaget Media player (AC Ryan Play ON HD) and i had got bundled HDMI cable with it. I dont know if that was good or bad quality but i think it was good as per what my visual perception of images on TV said. That cable was then broken by the cablewalaah who had come home to do some settings. Then i bought some cheap 200 rupees (+-20%) HDMI cable and i still have the same visual quality on my 46" TV .

I think that the quality of the HDMI cable is really hyped (gold plating, silver plating, diamond plating, this that) and all the cables just do their job as they are supposed to.

From this i can infer that the quality of video/audio does depend on how cheap or expensive the cable is or else i am plain stupid if it is otherwise.

PS: But one thing still confuses me is that whether the length plays an important part ? Like the above theory may be true for all cables <= <some length> but if the cable is supposed to be very length then quality may matter. I dont know, just confused.

Back