Does the Flipkart "Open Box Delivery" include actually testing the item ? (monitor in this case)

Bribing the wish master seems a good idea, if the product is DOA he can immediately take it back without any extra hassle.

And what reason would "wish master" give to his master because of which he decided to take the laptop back? Everything mentioned on the box is found intact. I am just curious if all of our worries can be sorted out by giving away less than two dollars!

In case there might be confusion, the 'open box delivery' here is an option offered on some products by some sellers on Flipkart, and refers to to brand new and sealed products that will be opened before you at the time of delivery to ensure that the product inside is genuine. It is not referring to 'open box' items, which would be expected to be discounted further due to being unsealed.

This sounds like a way to simply shift culpability to the buyer and also increase sales from a lack of trust from the buyer. Thank you for the answer.

Recently bought laptop from Flipkart. Delivery opened the package checked everything clicked photos and then handed it over for me to check. I said let me start it and check, he said open box delivery is to check damage, accessories and correct product is received. DOA is handled by customer care etc. Bribing the wish master seems a good idea, if the product is DOA he can immediately take it back without any extra hassle.

And what reason would "wish master" give to his master because of which he decided to take the laptop back? Everything mentioned on the box is found intact. I am just curious if all of our worries can be sorted out by giving away less than two dollars!
Open Box Delivery product cannot be taken back by delivery person once he entered the otp, he can take it back before entering the otp by submitting any reason like customer found product not in "perfect condition" etc in case customer "bribed" him to check the product by turning it on.

I'm curious why people buy open box from Flipkart after all the times people note issues with it. You'd think it would be easier to buy from local stores, are the discounts offered sufficient to risk it? Personally I tend to buy most things from offline stores, often places where I know the people having bought from them multiple times. Could there be another reason other than price to buy online?
At least the staff in all major laptop brands official stores in the biggest such market in North India a few years ago were all very rude/aggressive making me decide not to buy anything from there.

This sounds like a way to simply shift culpability to the buyer and also increase sales from a lack of trust from the buyer. Thank you for the answer.
If you ask me this whole checking business is ridiculous and unnecessary.

If the product is anything other than you ordered then why can't it be returned for a replacement? which would be the norm on amazon.

The seller doesn't want to handle it. And the seller also doesn't trust the buyer.
At least the staff in all major laptop brands official stores in the biggest such market in North India a few years ago were all very rude/aggressive making me decide not to buy anything from there.
Funny how that was my experience on sp road in Bangalore as well. What really annoyed me was how unhelpful people were. If you wanted something and asked where you could find it. The rule was if its not in the shop he doesn't know.

You would then have to go find it yourself and there could be over ten shops you would need to enquire within. That is if you were not a frequent visitor who got to know the place after a hundred trips. I have never experienced this in any other country I've lived in.

The other thing that i found strange is the guy upstairs or wholesaler spoke perfect English but the bugger downstairs could only speak in Hindi.

Last edited:
Then its exactly what @Decadent_Spectre said it was.

Shifting responsibility from flipkart on to the buyer.
It is about "sharing the responsibility". Buyer is sharing the responsibility for protecting flipkart from scammer buyers preventing loss to fk which in turn enables fk to spend more on discount & offers while flipkart is sharing the responsibility to protect genuine buyers from fraud done via warehouse employees/courier person/seller itself. People conveniently forget that even for DOA items purchased offline/directly from company there is a procedure to be followed to get it replaced & that procedure is not much different (in terms of time spent) from fk asking buyer to contact brand to avail warranty which they will as long as product is not physically damaged (which OBD takes care of) & product is genuinely sold (which fk assured seller takes care of).

I think OBD is just make sure seller isn't getting scammed. Loads of people submit fake returns stating wrong/used product received. I know a local shop keeper who sells ps4/ps3 locally and on amazon. People retuning ps2/xbox 360 and keeping the new consoles happened twice to him. He stopped selling on amazon after that, this was before OBD was a thing.

I think OBD is just make sure seller isn't getting scammed. Loads of people submit fake returns stating wrong/used product received. I know a local shop keeper who sells ps4/ps3 locally and on amazon. People retuning ps2/xbox 360 and keeping the new consoles happened twice to him. He stopped selling on amazon after that, this was before OBD was a thing.
i think its there to make sure buyers don't get scammed, many received bar of soap in their sealed new phone packaging.
also many forget to collect evidence of first open. OBD just makes sure item is what is said to be inside..

i think its there to make sure buyers don't get scammed, many received bar of soap in their sealed new phone packaging.
also many forget to collect evidence of first open. OBD just makes sure item is what is said to be inside..
It is also there to make sure sellers don't get scammed either because OBD means buyer cannot just ask for replacement under normal circumstances which is where most frauds by scam buyers happen.

seems like most people believe most scams are done by buyers and not sellers.. interesting.!
Scams are done by everyone nowadays, buyers/sellers/courier company/delivery person. It all just comes down to which method inconvenience less to most. Incidents of scams done by "long history reliable/assured biggest sellers" were never significant to begin with.

This I feel is an issue with the pickup process (not the fault of the person doing the pickup, but the process itself). There should be checks to verify that the product returned is same as what was delivered. While I understand that a pickup person is not qualified to ensure all this, the processes or systems in place should assist in doing this.

This I feel is an issue with the pickup process (not the fault of the person doing the pickup, but the process itself). There should be checks to verify that the product returned is same as what was delivered. While I understand that a pickup person is not qualified to ensure all this, the processes or systems in place should assist in doing this.
How will a typical pickup person know just from pics that buyer has swapped the nano receiver of a logitech wireless keyboard mouse combo with a non working one or a working graphics card with a faulty one of same model after cleaning it? Just some of the examples of why pickup process will always be unreliable & hence OBD is much better.

Pickup process has also changed now on amazon and flipkart. Products are divided into two categories verified and unverified. Unverified they take without checking. Verified, they match serial numbers, make and model, click photos uploads it to the app when the app says verified they take it otherwise reject it.

Pickup process has also changed now on amazon and flipkart. Products are divided into two categories verified and unverified. Unverified they take without checking. Verified, they match serial numbers, make and model, click photos uploads it to the app when the app says verified they take it otherwise reject it.
Unnecessary process which can't stop scam buyers (see my example above of nano receiver & same model defective product) & unnecessarily harass genuine buyers (even a slight difference or missing tag will result in rejection). Amazon should copy the OBD model from flipkart as soon as possible if they want to remain the preferred choice for buying expensive products online. I nowadays don't suggest anyone to buy expensive & vulnerable to fraud products (expensive mobiles, watches, small electronics items etc) online from amazon & instead use OBD products from flipkart.

Back