Dont know what to upgrade (some or all)

ujas

Disciple
Hi All,

I currently have following config and I want to upgrade. Just dont know what.
All stuff except cpu/mobo/hdd is around 3 years old.

1) AMD x4 630
2) Gigabyte 785GM mobo DDR2-667 mobo 3GB kingston ram
3) Circle Cabinet with VIP Silver 450w SMPS
4) Seagate 500gb barracuda 7200.12
5) Seagate 2TB barracuda LP
6) Viewsonic 1912wb 19"
7) TVSE Gold keyboard
8) Logitech MX500 Mouse
9) XFX Geforce 8800 GT 512mb Alpha Dog edition

use of PC
1) movies, music, web, light gaming - 2 -3 hrs a day
2) AC2, BFBC2, POP Forgotten sands, Dirt 2, etc on weekends 2-3 hrs

I have read a lot about good cabby, smps, mouse, monitors, graphics, etc here but dont know what suits my requirements.

Willing to spend around 15-20k for the upgrade. please pick and choose components to upgrade.

regards
Ujas

1) Definitely upgrade your psu...get something like the corsair vx550.
2) Upgrade your monitor...get a 23-24incher, preferably one with an ips panel.

Everything else seems fine for now.
If you manage to sell your old psu and monitor, then you could consider a gpu upgrade...but wait till the new raedons come out first.

ujas said:
use of PC

1) movies, music, web, light gaming - 2 -3 hrs a day

2) AC2, BFBC2, POP Forgotten sands, Dirt 2, etc on weekends 2-3 hrs
With that in mind, why BOTHER upgrading bro. Save ur money!

The only reason the perhaps upgrade is for gaming but u got a decent 8800GT, most games need that to run at HIGH settings at the same time a faster card can help but YET again u do LIGHT gaming. So DONT BOTHER.

All games u mention run smoothly don't they? So why bother. I've a 260GTX and I run my games at 1280x1024 (5:4) @ 80HZ on my 19 Viewsonic with High settings and AA, AF on with all latest games. I'm very happy! Until I get a widescreen, 4:3 or 5:4 resolutions are just fine for me.

Yes ur SMPS is nothing great with VIP 450W, but you dont run into probs do you? If you do change, go for Corsair (5years warranty). you will need to change ur SMPS eventually if you go for a better CPU or GPU, don't forget that!

Just upgrade to 24inch monitor. But 5.1 speakers if u want to enjoy home theater effect and asus xonar sound card. This will be your ultimate entertainment system. Everything else is fine. . Its seems your more interested in watching movies rather gaming..

ujas said:
all games work fine at 1440x900 (16:10) wth high settings.
yes i too have compaq 19' TFT with 9800GT .... so we have more or less identical rig except i have coolermaster smps :mad:

u dont need an upgrade ... if u still insist then buy a 24' LED monitor with good corsair vx550 SMPS

thats it ..... u r done

dont think u play lot of games like me :D

Back