Graphic Cards Doom 3 stutters at high settings on 6800 nu

superczar

Skilled
Folks, Doom 3 stutters badly on my rig at high details settings....
at medium settings (1024x768) i get ~60 fps with smooth gameplay....However, on high details, even at 800x600, there are long pauses in the game while oprning doors, or entering large areas....though the FPS ~40 when the game doesn't stutter

The config is Athlon 2400 , 512 MB RAM and 6800 (nu) 128 MB (All running at stocks speeds)
I tweaked the config file in \doom\base to increase the image and tetxures cache size, and it reduced the problem to some extent but did not cure it.....

Wondering if the culpriit is the 128 MB on the GPU or the 512 MB system memory......Any pointers?:ashamed:

You need more RAM... Also your CPU is bottleneck for the card... Check for AA and AF... BTW this is quite normal for this setup...

I personally have a felling it is the RAM, becoz whenever the game stutters, the HD light keeps glowing.....

the game play gets smooth as soon ast the HD light goes off.....

However, want to confirm before I blow another 2K on the RAM as I frankly dont need a Gig of RAM for any other reason than Doom 3....

;) ya true...but you see, here is the tradeoff:

Max budget for computing this month: 4K

Option I:

- 512 MB RAM

- Far Cry

Option II-

- Far cry

- HL2

- No RAM and keep playing Doom 3 at medium settings....

Unfortunately, the ahem..version of HL2 and Far cry do not seem to be working so will have to pick em up from a retail store like Landmark

Naaa... It will be like HL2 itself... You can buy off steam and download or you can buy the retail box and get it updated through steam...

I think you are talking abt lostcoast with only being steam delivery...

Yes, Aftermath can only delivered by the sucky steam :mad: I atleast hope Lost Coast will be a retail disc...

BTW, Superczar the 6800NU can't play D3 at max settings. Even on my rig I play at 1024x768, 4x-AF 6x-AA and I get about 37~43 FPS. Anything above that stutters...

Hmm, Valve is getting crappier day-by-day :(

I still havent played HL2 and CSS properly using a legal pack even though I'm ready to pay 2k, I just can't do the D/L, can't somebody at Valve understand this ???

You stupid morons :mad:

Doom3 needs 768mb for high and 1gb+ for ultra to run smooth.Thats the main bottleneck here.This based on my experience with my earlier system(similar to urs as u can see from the sig).

^^^ yup.....quite a similar rig you got....Tomorrow's a holiday...I hope Ritchie street stays open tmrw so that I can go pick up a stick....The RAM is what I was suspecting (given the constant activity on the HDD while playomng in Hi quality) ....thanks for confirming

Back