Dota fans alert HON is F2P

Zloyd said:
http://www.heroesofnewerth.com/

Give it a shot ... great game. I never played dota much but I mess with this game from time to time, this game needs time to learn but very rewarding and challenging and nice graphics.

Meh. Been playing Dota for 8+ years. HoN seriously was not worth it. New (read totally new advanced) graphics engine just made it more eye candy. But the balance was never really attained.
Why dyu think people went back to playing Dota and this became F2P? :)

Thats very odd that you say that .... most of my hardcore dota buddies are hardcore into this , no one I know prefers dota to this.

Well iv been playing it for some time so i can say its a major upgrade over dota. Yes, hero imbalances are there especially when they release new heroes but the upgrades over dota make it worthwhile. Some of the features over dota over the top of my head are :

- Reconnect back to your game in case of disconnect

- ability to kick afk, troll players

- ability to pause the game with the help of a vote

- leaver tracking

- ban player and report a play feature

- stats tracking, hero usage etc

- play skill rating tracking based on your winnings, helping to pair you against your own level players in matchmaking

- upgraded engine (and ofcourse widescreen support :) )

Try league of legends its been free to play a long while now. Some say its better than HoN. More for the casual player than hardcore Dota fans. Gameplay similar to Dota/HoN with a huge player base.

Wait till Valve and Blizzard releases their Dota versions, those are gonna be OMGWTFBBQ !!

Is the HON client available in torrents? My http download timed out thrice :(

Never played dota; was/am hugely into demigod but no online play; which one among dota/hon/rott/lol etc is most noob friendly?

AFAIK lol is the most noob friendly. Hon and dota have huge learning curves. Not sure about rott though.

With Valve's huge pockets, DoTA2 will definitely overtake HoN and LoL in my opinion. While going free-to-play is of course a big booster, there's nothing better than announcing a $1mill prize for a game that hasn't launched yet. It's gonna attract every pro team to make a DoTA2 team. I think HoN had a major misstep in that regards. This is a good move no doubt, but one too late maybe. Let's see though. the North American Star League and Major league Gaming are adding HoN to their list of games so let's see how that turns out for the game. Maybe DoTA might see some competition after all?

Back