Windows Downgrading from Windows 10 to 8.1 (Reasons Below) - How to Go About It?

RawheatC

Recruit
Hi,

Posting in this forum after ages. I decided to make a separate topic for this because my situation is very specific and I don't know how to go about it.

Over one year ago, my laptop's hard disk died, mostly due to issues with dust and heat and cooling fan failure. I was living far from the city and since I really needed my laptop, I gave it to the nearest third party guy to fix it. He ended up changing the hard disk altogether and installed a pirated version of Windows 10 on it.

Now, I had an OEM version of Windows 8.1, completely legit, installed on it previously. I have managed to retrieve its OEM key using a tool and figured I could install Window 8.1 using an ISO image and the OEM key. And perhaps upgrade to Windows 10 if I feel like I was liking the experience of 10 (although I'd say I preferred Windows 8.1 for several reasons). The main issue is getting rid of the "Activate Windows" message I permanently have, especially when I had a perfectly legal OEM version already.

I want to know what steps I should take in order for this method (using an ISO) to work without errors and also:

• What are the backups I should make?
  • What should I do with the partitions - Make a new one for Windows 8.1?
  • If I must install in C:\ only, do I first need to uninstall Windows 10 to empty the partition?
  • How do I load the Windows 8.1 image to USB? What format should the USB drive be in?
  • What should I do with the data not associated with the OS ,such as music, videos, etc that I have stored in different partitions. Do I need to back it up?
  • Are there any special instructions I must follow?
  • Is there any better way to do that instead of downloading an ISO file?

Another concern I had was the compatibility of everything I had previously installed on the system with 8.1. I am guessing I would have to reinstall everything for it to work.

Would suggest to mention which laptop do you have. As for the copy of Windows 8/8.1, what you need is to download a copy of Windows 8.1 SL (This SKU is different from the normal 8.1 which you get). Optionally, your laptop manufacturer may also have a image ready for your to use.

If you can, would suggest to wipe the entire HDD and do a fresh reinstall. The third party repair you mentioned - Most of these people do not actually know what they are doing, just googling and following the steps ot a T, and these may also contain malware.

As for loading, use a software called Rufus or Etcher to load the image on to a pendrive. Then, go through the steps needed.

If you can, upgrade the laptop bios.

If you do not want to do the ISO file way, you can speak to the laptop manufacturer and ask for the image to be sent on CD/DVD. It will cost you both time and money.

I am using HP Pavillion ab032tx. I purchased it about 3 years ago. I had downloaded the normal Windows 8.1 ISO but will now get 8.1 SL instead. Thanks!

Simple.
Burn the iso image to pen drive using Rufus.
I assume your drive is fully empty as in only windows 10 and no personal data. Else backup the data on external sources. Of if the data is on another partitions like D E etc then it is fine too.
In your bios make sure boot from pen drive ie usb source should be selected in the booting order.
Then connect pen drive and boot from it and follow further instructions. Be sure to completely format C drive during such prompt.

You could use the Windows 10 Media creation tool to download and create a bootable USB.
Install from the USB drive, and use the Windows 8 oem key you have - typically it should work if the OEM key is in the BIOS.

If not, use Windows 8 OEM SL and use (like suggested earlier) Rufus to generate a bootable UEFI USB.

Back